Travelling to Florida
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travelling to Florida

1. Travelling to Florida

Hi Folks...I'd like your thoughts on an upcoming trip i have planned, i will be driving from New York State to Florida on vacation with the family. I have a NYS resident CCW and Pennsylvania and Florida non-resident permits. I am legal in all states in between except for South Carolina which is where we usually stop for the night on the way down. Im wondering should i just leave my gun locked in my vehicle while at the hotel in SC like it will be while travelling in that state, or perhaps i should just decide to stay the night in North Carolina. I don't like the idea of leaving my gun locked in my vehicle over-night while im in the hotel. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
    JG

Quote Originally Posted by JG4660 View Post
    Hi Folks...I'd like your thoughts on an upcoming trip i have planned, i will be driving from New York State to Florida on vacation with the family. I have a NYS resident CCW and Pennsylvania and Florida non-resident permits. I am legal in all states in between except for South Carolina which is where we usually stop for the night on the way down. Im wondering should i just leave my gun locked in my vehicle while at the hotel in SC like it will be while travelling in that state, or perhaps i should just decide to stay the night in North Carolina. I don't like the idea of leaving my gun locked in my vehicle over-night while im in the hotel. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
    JG
    I think the issue with SC may be their CCW reciprocation with other states... You can't CC in SC. That being said, I thinkl it is probably perfectly legal for you to take the gun into the hotel with you. Of course it would have to be kept in your room while there. I would probably just get a hotel in NC, but that's just me.

Depending on where in NY you're leaving from...

NJ must be locked up, PA you can carry, DE allows open vehicle carry, MD must be locked up, VA and NC you can carry, SC it may be in glove box or closable console. You can carry from car to room.

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster20 View Post
    I think the issue with SC may be their CCW reciprocation with other states... You can't CC in SC. That being said, I thinkl it is probably perfectly legal for you to take the gun into the hotel with you. Of course it would have to be kept in your room while there. I would probably just get a hotel in NC, but that's just me.
    That would be my recommendation. Take it into the hotel room. You don't have to CC to get it there. You can unload and case it and stow it in your suitcase. Then you can limber it again once in the hotel room.
    Dan Hammond, Sr.
    Christian and No Foolin' Infidel
    NRA Marksmanship Instructor and Training Counselor, RSO, KS CCH Instructor

A small Pelican case works nicely with pelican locks.
    I made trip from Pa last year. Also bought a small line lock where I could lock the locked case in the trunk of my car. You can find a place to run the line through if there are no tie downs in the trunk. Try the hinges. It's a good slow down deterrent, not perfect but should do the trick. Just pay attention to where you are and when about to enter another state. Leave yourself time to find a place to pull over and take the gun back out or put it away.
    Have a fun safe trip.

I would definitely take the gun into the hotel, no question..
    Hotels are a high crime area. Many cars get broken into at a hotel.. They think if your at a roadside hotel, you're tired and sleeping.. You need the gun for personal protection while in the room, your car will not protect it's self with your gun..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Did SC change their laws? I'm from MO and have my CCW permit, and I can CC in SC.

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkgunner View Post
    Did SC change their laws? I'm from MO and have my CCW permit, and I can CC in SC.
    SC is kinda funny when it comes to CCW reciprocity. I reside in AL and have an AL pistol permit. My permit reciprocates to all of the southeastern US except for SC. It goes the other way too... an SC permit does not reciprocate to GA, AL or MS. I don't know what it is between those three states and SC.. Anyway, no worries in SC with a MO permit.

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkgunner View Post
    Yes you can. We have reciprocity with MO. South Carolina Law Enforcement Division
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster20 View Post
    SC is kinda funny when it comes to CCW reciprocity. I reside in AL and have an AL pistol permit. My permit reciprocates to all of the southeastern US except for SC. It goes the other way too... an SC permit does not reciprocate to GA, AL or MS. I don't know what it is between those three states and SC.. Anyway, no worries in SC with a MO permit.
    SC also Reciprocates with Florida, but not NON-resident permits..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast