Concealed carry clothing misconceptions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed carry clothing misconceptions

Concealed carry clothing misconceptions

I am new to cc,so I come in with no pre-conceived notions about anything. I.E., common sense is the only info I have at my disposal at the moment. But sometimes, that's an advantage. In the case of what to wear, when to wear it, and what does it look like to others, I think may have an advantage over a long time carrier from another walk of life than my own.

First misconception:
    A fanny pack screams CCW!
    NO, it does not under any circumstances! Maybe to other CCW folks it does, but get out of your world for a few seconds. To the rest of the world, what do you think it looks like???? It looks like a FANNY PACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bikers, or motorcycle enthusiasts as they like to be called, wear fanny packs all the time, everywhere, while they are riding and walking around at rallies. They are usually clad in jeans and t-shirts, which only allow for the basic necessities to be carried, like wallet, keys, money clip, and change. A fanny pack helps them keep stuff like cell phones, cameras, extra batteries, etc. It's very functional, and a gun can be stored in there very easily, without anybody ever suspecting you are carrying.

Second misconception:

Summer limits my carry options:

Not if you dress appropriately. Again, I'll use my biker friends as example. Vests are used a LOT! Same reason as above. They are functional, even in summer. They allow extra carry space for biker "stuff". Most biker vests have an inside pocket big enough in which to carry a gun. They have outside pockets for cell phones and cameras too. And they are not too hot for summer wear either.

Coronado Leather makes a nice one. Here;s a link to another one:CCWSUPPLY.BIZ - Leather Concealment Vest

I see alot of fanny packs being used by people at the gym. It holds their MP3 player, lifting straps, wrist wraps, locker keys, and identification. Not all workout clothing has pockets so a fanny pack is very handy for all their stuff that needs to be at hand.

My primary is a 1911 frame .45. I carry this weapon all year. I carry in my lunch box, in my back pack, ITWB, OSTWB. I can conceal this weapon in the summer, wearing only shorts and a t-shirt comfortably. A tactical belt and ITWB holster, and it disappears.

I will walk for hours with my dogs, around many people. Even the ones who want to stop and talk. Has worked great for me. Being 5'7" & a solid, stocky 204lbs, That's no easy task for a large framed weapon. Experienced advice, trial & error, finding my position and style of carry.

If a fanny pack works for you, that's all that matters. There are many variables to concealed carry though, so you will probably need to periodically try new ways of carrying. You have to remember, those old ways of carrying, are old for a reason. They are tried and proven ways to successfully carry concealed.

I am Young, and have been carrying concealed for a couple years now. I have been around guns my whole life, and have grown up with a large Military Family. When I am offered advice I listen, and I will try it. This is how you will come to find what will work for you.

I have my ways, because of listening to the experieced, and choosing what works for me. Just keep an open mind to experienced carriers, and you will find what ways work best for you. Good luck, and Stay Safe.
    Respect your efforts, respect yourself. Self-respect leads to self-discipline. When you have both firmly under your belt, that's real power.

i dont have any problems concealing this may work for you too. i carry a medium to small frame semi out sccy cpx-1. i use a uncle mikes iwb holster. i use it with shorts pants whatever i wear collered shirts and t shirts all the time even with shorts and a t shirt my weapon is eisily concealed the only problem i have had is a couple times when i have sit down my holster has wanted to come off my belt but a little push down and that is fixed. i am looking into the same kind of holster with a little better belt clip its metal instead of plastic. good luck finding what is best for you

A fanny pack is fine but I'm thinking drawing from it ain't gonna be easy if a BG has the drop on you and demands your wallet. Reaching behind your back to "get your wallet" when in fact you are actually getting your firearm works. I'm not sure digging into your fanny pack, which is typically located on the front of your body, will work as well - unless the BG is behind you, in which case it might work better. Of course, in a Luby's Cafeteria or Ft. Hood encounter a fanny pack would work just fine - because you're one in the crowd - assuming you're not one of the first targeted. Personally, I carry a small titanium .38+P 5-shot revolver in a Galco front pocket holster and I can wear it with the shortest shorts and a tee shirt. In situations where I think there might be trouble I can put my hand in my pocket and on the gun -ready to draw instantly - and it looks like a casual movement. Works in the hottest Texas summers.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

7. I have an in the pants holster. With my Glock 23 in it and a t shirt not tucked in no one even sees it.This works with jeans and shorts !

It is possible to draw from a fanny pack quite fast if you practice quite a bit. What ever way one carries drawing and dry firing should be part of your training.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    Bikers, or motorcycle enthusiasts as they like to be called, wear fanny packs all the time, everywhere, while they are riding and walking around at rallies.
    Hmmm... Not in my experience. I've got a crapload of miles under my butt with 2-wheels and THIS "motorcycle enthusiast", at least, doesn't remember EVER seeing a 'biker' with a fanny pack. A bike peddler, maybe, but not a motorcyclist. I've been to any number of bike gatherings, from Hells Angels parties to more generic "yuppie"-style gatherings, and I really have to disagree with your observation...at least in this regard. I agree about the vests.
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

Quote Originally Posted by Ektarr View Post
    Hmmm... Not in my experience. I've got a crapload of miles under my butt with 2-wheels and THIS "motorcycle enthusiast", at least, doesn't remember EVER seeing a 'biker' with a fanny pack. A bike peddler, maybe, but not a motorcyclist. I've been to any number of bike gatherings, from Hells Angels parties to more generic "yuppie"-style gatherings, and I really have to disagree with your observation...at least in this regard. I agree about the vests.
    Well, there you go. Your experiences are different from mine. I don't know what kind of "gatherings" you've been to, but obviously Bikeweek in Daytona isn't one of them. You can't walk a round Daytona anywhere and not see a fanny pack, in fact a lot of them. Now I will agree most of them are on females, but more and more I see them on men too, because in the summer you just don't have room for carrying cell phones, cameras, guns, cigars..cutters..lighters, without some extra room...room that a fanny pack allows.

Man, I can't believe you've NEVER seen a fanny pack at biker "gatherings", as you call them.

I'm not trying to promote the use of them. I just find that some times , they are a viable alternative for me. And BTW, the fanny pack is where I draw THE LINE. I'll wear one of them, but there ain't NO WAY I'm carrying a "man purse".! LOL!!

When I used to have my bike, I used a fanny pack frequently. There were numerous other bikers that wore them pretty much everywhere I attended. I also still use it on occassion at the races. It beats sitting on your wallet on stadium seating and losing your belongings won't happen.

Different people have different comfort levels for carrying in different ways. If a fanny pack works for you, go for it. They make packs with dedicated holsters to improve access to your weapon. Whatever holster works for you in whatever season is good. There's no prescribed way to go. Personally, if I find myself needing a higher level of concealment due to less clothes being worn, I switch to my mouse gun. I don't need to be carrying my Beretta 9000 or my 1911 Combat Commander which are my primary carry weapons to have peace of mind. My Kel Tec does just fine. Still, like I said, everybody's different and I condemn nobody for their preferences.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast