New York State a barrier for concealed carry? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New York State a barrier for concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by torontogunguy View Post
    THAT is federal law. You are fully entitled to carry from one state where you have authority to carry to another place where you have authority to carry with total impunity if you follow the rules. The gun needs to be unloaded and the ammo and gun stored seperately and out of the driver compartment. We have an SUV and have installed TWO minisafes from Harbour Freight in the back, bolted to the floor. When travelling we carry with a paddle holster and when we reach a state line where we are not able to carry, we carefully unholster and unload, placing the gun into one black shopping cloth bag and the magazine, emptied, into another black shopping bag, get out of the van and walk to the rear and place each shopping bag into a seperate minisafe. And lock them.

We also carry a copy of the federal law, etc. in a binder and a laminated copy in each safe to educate the uneducated.
    Actually, if you read the federal statute....it does NOT say the gun and ammo must be separate...maybe in a case of not having a separate compartment...but even then I'm not sure they have to be separate.

ß 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
    How Current is This?
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driverís compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

3. Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Actually, if you read the federal statute....it does NOT say the gun and ammo must be separate...maybe in a case of not having a separate compartment...but even then I'm not sure they have to be separate.
    True. But let me relate a story to you about a stop. Once upon a time I declared that I had handguns and a permit, etc. "Where are the guns and ammo" I was asked. In the back of the van; the gun is in one safe and the ammo in the other, said I. Open up the back. I pushed the button and the rear hatch opened. The officer took one look at the two locked safes and wished me a pleasant journey THROUGH NEW YORK STATE.

Ever since it has been my habit to lock the gun(s) and ammo seperately.

The law seems to indicate that you can have both the gun and ammo in the same locked compartment as long as the gun is unloaded, but what is unloaded? Is it with the ammo out of the magazine? Is it with the magazine out of the gun? Is it with the magazine in the butt of the gun but not locked into place? Is it with the magazine locked into place but no round chambered? I dunno... but this seems to work for me and I'm sticking with it and at $39 for each safe it sure impresses them that I would go to that much trouble. Just be sure to have a couple of those black cloth shopping backs or equivilant so that you don't get someone crying "man with a gun!". That is trouble for sure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12