I have decided to buy my first gun. - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I have decided to buy my first gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hamberger View Post
    AvidshooterTx - It isn't that uncommon for someone to apply for their CCW and not own their own weapon. We had two in my CCW class when I went. PinkLady - you said you have a problem with pulling the slide back on a pistol because of your small hands. I'd suggest you try Charter Arms .32 H&R Magnum Ultralite. The weapon is a 5 rd. revolver and weighs in at only 12 oz. Because it's a .32 it doesn't have as much kick as a .38 spl. or .357 but it's still a magnum rd. so you know it has some punch to it. Check out Gun, Handgun, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, At Cost, Cheap, Firearm Accessories they are listing them at $325.00.
    Ed, I agree with the .32. low low recoil, and if you sort though the charter arms pistols, you can find an good one. I have suggested that the OP buy two pistols. One a 22 revolver, for practice. That .32 while low recoil the ammo is $$$. Fire a few rounds, to make sure it works, but practice practice practice with that .22
    I do not recommend the .22 for carry for a novice. Although, the 22 mag from Taurus might be a choice. What is your two cents worth?

3. Newbe here, could somebody tell me what a LCP is?

Ruger

Quote Originally Posted by 22-250 View Post
    Newbe here, could somebody tell me what a LCP is?
    That would be the Ruger LCP (lightweight Compact Pistol) .380 Auto.

Ruger LCP Centerfire Pistol

5. Well thanks, looks nice, anyone know what a good price for that is?

Quote Originally Posted by 22-250 View Post
    Well thanks, looks nice, anyone know what a good price for that is?
    It goes for around $350 to $400 depending on where you buy it. I personally like the Diamondback DB380 better. Less felt recoil, etc... Very reasonably priced too. I have seen them priced from $275 to $380;

Diamondback Site

My daughter and son-in-law both have one and they love them.

7. Thanks sir....

I agree with everyone else and especially ‘rock919’. It’s easy to jump at the prettiest little thing’ that comes along. Still, I too believe you’re on the right track with a revolver. It’s simple, reliable, and easy to remember the steps of operation. Conversely, I carried auto-loaders for decades but that in itself doesn’t mean they're any ‘better’ for the intended purpose of self-defense.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I have taken a gun safety class. I have been out shooting several times with my husband. I don't take carrying a gun lightly. Just because I am just now deciding to carry doesn't mean I am going at it without thinking it over or without knowing how to safely handle a firearm.

to all,

i've been an Army rangemaster & LEO for over 35 years & imVho, you cannot do better as a first handgun than,

a Colt's Detective Special, Agent or Cobra (you'll have to buy those used),
    a S&W Model 10 in 2 or 4 inch barrel,
    a S&W Chief's Special - a model 36(in blued or nickel finish) or a model 60 (if you want stainess)
    OR
    a S&W Model 64 (stainless) in 2 or 4 inch barrel.

load all of them with target wadcutters, until you can "get really comfortable with" full-power loads - further a 148 grain hollowbase wadcutter will "ruin your whole day" with a hit anywhere in the main body trunk, neck or head.

also, you'll notice that my recommendations are ALL revolvers in .38SPL- leave the "mouseguns", magnums & semi-autos until you MASTER the revolver.
    (you may well decide to NEVER change from a revolver.= MANY "oldtime lawmen" of my generation have NEVER changed to anything "more complicated".)

just my opinion.
    yours, TN46
    Last edited by texasnative46; 03-29-2010 at 10:50 PM. Reason: grammar error

My LCP

My LCP was purchased new on Gunbroker.com for $312. I added a Crimson Trace laser, but at the range you will be using this pistol, it is probably not necessary.

Very small, light, reliable, and super easy to carry 24/7. Holds 7 rounds. Great little gun.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast