I have decided to buy my first gun. - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I have decided to buy my first gun.

Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    to all,

i've been an Army rangemaster & LEO for over 35 years & imVho, you cannot do better as a first handgun than,

a Colt's Detective Special, Agent or Cobra (you'll have to buy those used),
    a S&W Model 10 in 2 or 4 inch barrel,
    a S&W Chief's Special - a model 36(in blued or nickel finish) or a model 60 (if you want stainess)
    OR
    a S&W Model 64 (stainless) in 2 or 4 inch barrel.

load all of them with target wadcutters, until you can "get really comfortable with" full-power loads - further a 148 grain hollowbase wadcutter will "ruin your whole day" with a hit anywhere in the main body trunk, neck or head.

also, you'll notice that my recommendations are ALL revolvers in .38SPL- leave the "mouseguns", magnums & semi-autos until you MASTER the revolver.
    (you may well decide to NEVER change from a revolver.= MANY "oldtime lawmen" of my generation have NEVER changed to anything "more complicated".)

just my opinion.
    yours, TN46
    Good suggestions, but personally I think the Ruger LCP is a better carry weapon. It doesn't have any pointed ends (like a hammer) to stick on anything. This will probably be carried in a purse. Better trigger versus the funky feel of revolver double-action (yes, Ruger is double action, but steady trigger pull).

Great point about training. Many modern shooters never shoot a revolver. They learn from the start to shoot a pistol and to shoot it well. One drawback is chambering a round, which is definitely harder with a pistol. I carry a full mag with one in the chamber, so unless I get a misfire I don't have to touch the slide. Again, training takes care of this.

Just my 2 cents (non-cents?).

Islander,

i have TWO problems with your LCP as a FIRST weapon:
    1. it is UNdeniably true that a revolver is mechanically SIMPLER than ANY semi-auto & thus MUCH easier to learn to shoot WELL
    and
    2. a CCW should NEVER be carried in a lady's purse, for any excuse whatever, period. end of story, SO "protruding hammers", etc, are NOT a problem!

yours, TN46

Islander,

i have TWO problems with your LCP as a FIRST weapon:
    1. it is UNdeniably true that a revolver is mechanically SIMPLER than ANY semi-auto & thus MUCH easier to learn to shoot WELL
    and
    2. a CCW should NEVER be carried in a lady's purse, for any excuse whatever, period. end of story, SO "protruding hammers", etc, are NOT a problem!

yours, TN46
    Interesting points. From my experience, the shooting part is pretty much the same. Aim, shoot. Of course the revolver will cycle another round if you get a misfire and pull the trigger again. I concede that that makes it simpler.

Good point about not carrying in a purse. Didn't comment based on what she "should" do, just what will lilkely happen. She should go to you for instruction and certainly not me!

5. Nothing wrong with Purse carry with a proper holster in a purse designed for concealed carry. That is unless you have a tendency to leave your purse laying around unsupervised.

Islander; stove; all,

TWO things are VERY wrong & possibly FATAL about "IN THE PURSE" carry:
    1. IF your purse is "snatched", as THOUSANDS are each day, you have LOST your means of personal protection
    AND
    2. you have ARMED a thief/felon, with YOUR pistol & you could be KILLED with it.
    (you don't even want to know what happens if your STOLEN weapon is used in an armed felony, by someone else!- buying another handgun & being "interrogated by" the police is the LEAST of your possible problems.)

just my opinions.
    yours, TN46

Islander; stove; all,

1. IF your purse is "snatched", as THOUSANDS are each day, you have LOST your means of personal protection
    AND
    2. you have ARMED a thief/felon, with YOUR pistol & you could be KILLED with it.
    (you don't even want to know what happens if your STOLEN weapon is used in an armed felony, by someone else!- buying another handgun & being "interrogated by" the police is the LEAST of your possible problems.)

just my opinions.
    yours, TN46
    Same thing that happens when Federal agents leave theirs in the bathroom? I wonder if any of those lost Federal firearms were lost on the "secure" side of the airports?
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

Avidshooter,

i FEAR that you may be correct about that.

i know of "a fed" who dropped his IN the toilet of a "certain federal facility", some years ago.- i know because i saw him washing it in the sink.= YETCH!
    (trust me, i didn't want to wash in THAT sink. = chuckle.)

yours, TN46

9. Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    Islander; stove; all,

AND

just my opinions.
    yours, TN46
    Still don't agree. A pistol carried in a purse is much better than one not carrying at all and for most ladies that is the choice.
    To your points:
    1. Situational awareness. Would you make the same arguments against pocket carry in a holster designed to look like a wallet? Pick pockets and purse snatchers have a very similar M.O.
    2. The instances of purse snatchers that stay on the scene to inventory the loot and then commit other crimes if they find a weapon, I assume is a rather small minority. Purse theft is usually non confrontational -- a snatch and run scenario. When a lady is violently attacked the possibility of her own gun being turned on her isn't greater if the gun is in her purse. At least I don't see how. If all the criminal wanted was money, they would seem more likely to flee the scene and count the loot later. In a sexual attack, it seems to me that an IWB holster would be uncovered before something in a lady's purse.

And lastly, I assume a law abiding person who carries concealed would also be law abiding enough to report the theft of a gun. I had a pistol stolen from my car and reported it to the Police -- in a very non-gun friendly city. 9 months later I was contacted to come and collect my recovered pistol and the bad guy got an additional 15 years for having it: 5 for being a prohibited person in possession, 5 for theft by receiving and 5 for having a gun during the commission of another felony (selling drugs).

stove; all,

it's perfectly OK not to agree. - nonetheless, the FACTS are that "in purse carry" is AT BEST "potentially" FATAL, if the purse is "snatched". furthermore, in the case of a criminal assault, she shouldn't be "digging around in her purse" for her handgun! =====> that's WHY numerous LE agencies (my former agency, for one) PROHIBITS "off the body carry" for ALL agents.

also, reference your comment on "report the theft of" a handgun: in the event that your pistol is stolen & later used in a felonious assault, your CIVIL EXPOSURE is SIGNIFICANT & (depending on the jurisdiction) potentially RUINOUS to your financial situation, even though the owner reported it stolen.
    anyone who CCW (at least in my opinion,) should consult their attorney & find out what the criminal/civil exposure is in YOUR jurisdiction AND in those jurisdictions to which you routinely travel.
    (i'm NOT a lawyer, nor do i play one on TV, but that is what our "in-house counsel" tells us.)

finally, there are FAR too many other EXCELLENT choices for women to CCW, to carry in her purse.

btw, for the cost of a "good pair of heels", my daughter bought a CUSTOM-made assortment of holsters for her 9x18mm Makarov (made by a woman, to her measurements).

just MY opinion.

yours, TN46
    Last edited by texasnative46; 04-02-2010 at 10:32 AM. Reason: typo

11. It is not a fact that off body carry is potential fatal, any more than it is a fact that carrying a gun in any fashion is potentially fatal. That is kinda silly, to state as a fact. Opinion fine -- fact no. Also, you seem to be having a caps lock issue ;).
    Civil liability would be based on a "reasonable man standard" and even in the wackiest jurisdiction one would have a hard time proving that a reasonable person should have known that their property would be stolen by a violent felon resulting in the injury of another in the future. Carelessness would be a different story and I assume the basis for departmental prohibitions to off body carry. But you never know. Some departments ban single action pistols, small of the back holsters and a myriad of other things to protect them from perceived liability. Some even frown on off duty carry or against civilians carrying at all.
    I agree there are many good options for concealed carry holsters for ladies. But like for men, any carry choice is a trade off. I do not begrudge a responsible person that opts to use off body carry.
    The key is logical evaluation of your personal habits and potential threats, and once a choice is made practice, practice, practice. I have a friend who uses a smart carry holster daily. I think it is a terrible option but it works for him and I know he can draw and put rounds on target rather quick.
    Congrats to your daughter on her choice to carry and her carry choice -- I love the Makarov. I'm impressed that she has the hand strength to operate one effectively, many do not.
    BTW: I also do not think purse carry is the best option, or even a viable option for everyone. But it is a valid option for some, ceteris paribus.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast