Can't carry while hunting? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Can't carry while hunting?

  1. If bears are truly what you are concerned about, carry a can of bear spray. It is pepper spray in a large cansiter that also has dye in it that confuses the bears. Statistically it is more effective than a firearm, repelling bear attacks over 90% of the time as compared with 66 to 67% for firearms. No brainer, more effective and legal. I know it is hard to leave the 44 mag. behind, it makes me all warm and fuzzy too, having it with me.

  2.   
  3. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by thedub88 View Post
    op. were did you get this from. Im from Mass and trying to find the law. The only thing I found was no dogs or any other firearms during shotgun deer season.
    This is usually a Hunting regulations thing. It's the same here in Kansas. I'm trying to get it changed, but I've reached an impasse. Wildlife Depatrment says they won't change it until it's legislated. Legislature says it's a regulation not a statute so they won't change it.

    I hunt near Kansas City, KS. My problem isn't black bears, it's loose dogs and trespassers. Snarling rottweilers and poachers don't seem to be impressed by broadheads.
    Dan Hammond, Sr.
    Christian and No Foolin' Infidel
    NRA Marksmanship Instructor and Training Counselor, RSO, KS CCH Instructor

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    High Desert, Kern County, California
    Posts
    66
    Good morning. This isn't going to be nice.

    I do not understand the mind set with some folks here who just say to hell with the law. What's up with that? If you elect to go hunting, hunt by the rules. And I WILL NOT listen to any 2nd Amndt stiff about RTKBA. There's a reason you can't bow hunt and carry a gun.

    Here in Calif if you elect to bow hunt with a gun and get caught, well, it's the bow, gun, most likely the truck, big fine and possible jail time.

    So, go ahead, laugh at the law, hide your 45acp in a IWBH and hope to hell you don't get caught. Sorry, I just don't get it. My bow will stop anything in Calif and I don't have to hide anything or keep looking over my shoulder.

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI & Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by danhammondsr View Post
    This is usually a Hunting regulations thing. It's the same here in Kansas. I'm trying to get it changed, but I've reached an impasse. Wildlife Depatrment says they won't change it until it's legislated. Legislature says it's a regulation not a statute so they won't change it.

    I hunt near Kansas City, KS. My problem isn't black bears, it's loose dogs and trespassers. Snarling rottweilers and poachers don't seem to be impressed by broadheads.

    My muzzy seemed to work pretty well on a 80 lb feral pit bull that attacked me once while packing out my game from a local hunting area.

    A large caliber handgun would be ideal, but when laws or restrictions prohibit it, you need to do what you need to do to keep safe.


    gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

  6. #15
    JSDinTexas Guest
    I hunt S. Texas deer (80-150 lbs/ 40-80 lbs dressed) with a Horton HD175 crossbow and the same law applies in TX. The reasoning is that law-breakers will shoot the deer with a firearm, and stick an arrow in it afterwards.

    Everyone I know carries a small handgun during regular season to dispatch the deer - if it's not dead - so we don't have to wait all day to get it dressed, and I miss that ability, especially using a crossbow and bolt (arrow) that may cause the deer a while to bleed out.

    Nice thing is, we don't have any bear in S Texas to worry about - might have to hammer a wild armadillo, but that's about it.

    PS: I do know that black bear has been taken down with the crossbow I use, but I would prefer my Glock 20 to do that

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Butner, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    362
    I've been an avid Bow Hunter for over 45 years now and I've never worried about the Grizzlies in my home state, (Colo.) bothering me while hunting. I have had one confrontation with one a long time ago while fly fishing the Arkansas River, she wanted my fish so I gave them to her and she left me alone long enough for me to skidaddle.

  8. Floyd58

    HELLO TO ALL. THE LAW IN KANSAS IS THE SAME TO.

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Dude View Post
    Good morning. This isn't going to be nice.

    I do not understand the mind set with some folks here who just say to hell with the law. What's up with that? If you elect to go hunting, hunt by the rules. And I WILL NOT listen to any 2nd Amndt stiff about RTKBA. There's a reason you can't bow hunt and carry a gun.

    Here in Calif if you elect to bow hunt with a gun and get caught, well, it's the bow, gun, most likely the truck, big fine and possible jail time.

    So, go ahead, laugh at the law, hide your 45acp in a IWBH and hope to hell you don't get caught. Sorry, I just don't get it. My bow will stop anything in Calif and I don't have to hide anything or keep looking over my shoulder.

    I am saying to hell with the law when it comes to being unarmed in the woods. The reason for no firearms during archery, is to stop a poor archer from pulling out his handgun, and taking a deer by firearm. I agree with the intention of that law. You must of seen what happened to Ned Beaty when he got out of canoe unarmed? In Kalifornia, because of the abundance of fruits, and nuts, I would not be alone in the woods without a firearm.

  10. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post

    I am saying to hell with the law when it comes to being unarmed in the woods. The reason for no firearms during archery, is to stop a poor archer from pulling out his handgun, and taking a deer by firearm. I agree with the intention of that law. You must of seen what happened to Ned Beaty when he got out of canoe unarmed? In Kalifornia, because of the abundance of fruits, and nuts, I would not be alone in the woods without a firearm.
    I"m with you on this, Iceman. The law has its place but if it makes no sense or renders me defenseless, then...you do what you gotta do. Many of us old-timers have carried long before all the "shall issue" laws hit the books. Why did we do that? For the same reason we do now.

    Here in the Outback, the legislature passed a law several years ago, saying we can carry while bow-hunting due to the spread of mountain lions across the state. My odds of meeting up with one are pretty slim, but it's nice having the hawg strapped to my leg when I'm sneaking out of the bowstand after dark. And there's always the 2-legged critters, too...meth heads and whatnot...
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

  11. Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it. One of my main concerns with this is the severity of the penalty. Would the ramifications be:


    "federal offense, loss of LTC, never carry again"

    -or-

    "Lose my deer tag, get a fine"


    If it were the latter, I would be more inclined to carry. If I got caught, I wouldn't mind paying a fine and coming back to hunt next season.

    If I had the chance of going to prison and losing the right to carry, then no way would I carry.

    It's funny however, to hear arguments like, "don't worry about the gun, chances of being mauled are low, a bow and arrow or mace will be fine" from pro-carry proponents.

    It seems like that is the argument a lot of anti-2nd amendment folks go with: "Why would you need to carry, chances of being mugged are low, mace is better than a gun statistically"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Open Carry Argument
    By Mainsail in forum Open Carry Discussion
    Replies: 611
    Last Post: 05-23-2017, 05:42 PM
  2. 10 Commandments of Concealed Carry
    By HK4U in forum Concealed Carry Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-21-2011, 10:51 AM
  3. Why I Carry a Gun
    By HK4U in forum Politics and News
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-02-2010, 07:41 AM
  4. H 3003 In House Judiciary Committee
    By Red Hat in forum South Carolina Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-30-2009, 04:43 PM
  5. Open Carry Meeting and Training
    By 45acpman in forum Wisconsin Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-29-2007, 10:36 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast