Conceal Carry for Alcoholics - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Conceal Carry for Alcoholics

Deer hunter, congratulations on your sobriety. You stated they will see your medical records. Is that a north Carolina specific request from the licensing authority?
    You may wish to include a letter from your primary physician, stating he see's no physical indication of alcohol, or drug use. Or, a chemical dependency assessment.

Good luck.

In NC, the only mental health records they check is the city/county (public) mental health facilities. And in many city/counties, the mental health facilities refuse to release the records.

So unless you have used the services a local public mental health facility in connection with your alcoholism, there will be no problem with your CC permit.

And even they sent an inquiry to Duke, I believe it extremely unlikely that Duke would release any records.

4. Quote Originally Posted by billwot View Post
    In NC, the only mental health records they check is the city/county (public) mental health facilities. And in many city/counties, the mental health facilities refuse to release the records.

So unless you have used the services a local public mental health facility in connection with your alcoholism, there will be no problem with your CC permit.

And even they sent an inquiry to Duke, I believe it extremely unlikely that Duke would release any records.
    When asked about your mental health or chemical dependency issues please remember the phrase "I dont recall" when asked where you may have been treated.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

I agree with ropeadope,
    Just because you take perscribed medicine doesnt mean your nuts nor should it dis quailify you from an CCW Good luck Deerhunter and, Congrads on beiing sober and beating it sounds like you got you stuff together

6. Thanks guys!

I put my application in yesterday, so we will see how it goes.

Lots of people in my local AA have concealed carry permits. I do not know that any of them have looked for help outside AA or not. If they have not, then it would obviously not show up on any paper work.

Part of the application process in Durham County is that you have to sign a form requesting the medical record release from the local state hospitals as well as Duke. Since my doctor is part of the Duke medical system, I am pretty sure that my anti-depressants will show up.

I am in complete agreement (obviously) that a Prozac perscription shouldn't disqualify you from having a CCW permit. I think the majority of people would be pretty suprised if they saw how many people take anti-depressants to help them lead a more fulfilled life.

Anyway, I was speaking with one of my friends in AA about this. Evidently he got arrested in SC for a charge that SC considers a misdomeaner, but NC considers a felony (or something like that, maybe the opposite). He got denied for his CCW permit, but was able to meet face to face with the sherrif and get it sorted out. If I am denied, I hope that the sherrif will give me a minute of his time as well.

I will let you guys know! I applied on April 1, so I should hear back by July 1.

Thanks so much for your comments and your support!

Quote Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
    Part of the application process in Durham County is that you have to sign a form requesting the medical record release from the local state hospitals as well as Duke. Since my doctor is part of the Duke medical system, I am pretty sure that my anti-depressants will show up.
    Again, I will be very surprised if Duke actually releases any information. Keep us advised of the outcome.

My ex-wife was a drug/alcohol counselor when i lived in Ohio. One of the questions on the application for an Ohio driver's license asked if you were an "alcoholic". Since you are still considered an alcoholic no matter how many years you have been sober, she knew several people that had answered teh question honestly, in spite of years of sobriety, and were denied Ohio Driver's licenses.

8. The only records they hsve poll is county dept. of health records. Unless you TELL THEM that you were in a program somewhere, they don't know where to go look. It's not like they are gonna inquire at every hospital and clinic in the state. Obama hasn't established a national medical database...YET.

9. Quote Originally Posted by billwot View Post
    Again, I will be very surprised if Duke actually releases any information. Keep us advised of the outcome.

My ex-wife was a drug/alcohol counselor when i lived in Ohio. One of the questions on the application for an Ohio driver's license asked if you were an "alcoholic". Since you are still considered an alcoholic no matter how many years you have been sober, she knew several people that had answered teh question honestly, in spite of years of sobriety, and were denied Ohio Driver's licenses.
    I agree with Bill on the medical information release issue. More specifically, psychiatric or chemical dependency information. More and more medical institutions are not releasing psych records unless your Release of Information specifically says psychiatric or chemical dependency records by you. I too would be surprised if they released them by default.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

Quote Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
    I am an alcoholic who has been in recovery for 5 years. When I was 18, I spent the night at Duke University hospital for alcohol poisioning. I also see doctors to get antidepressants at Duke University.

Is alcoholism a condition that prevents you from getting a license?

Let me know. Thanks!
    I MI I think that would prevent you from gettintg one.

Yes.
    WOODY!
    Please Bless and Support our Troops.
    Dont Blink, 100 Years Goes Faster Than You Think...

New Mexico

In New Mexico, no one addicted to alcohol or drugs is permitted a license but I don't know if they check. It may just be on the "honor system" to divulge.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast