Conceal Carry for Alcoholics
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conceal Carry for Alcoholics

1. Conceal Carry for Alcoholics

I am in the process of filling out my conceal carry application for Durham County, North Carolina. As part of the application process, I have to release my medical records.

I am an alcoholic who has been in recovery for 5 years. When I was 18, I spent the night at Duke University hospital for alcohol poisioning. I also see doctors to get antidepressants at Duke University.

That all sounds pretty bad, but I am about as normal a guy as it gets. Anyway, does anyone have any experience getting a conceal carry permit, despite having these occurances in my life? There is no "explain yourself" place on the application.

Is alcoholism a condition that prevents you from getting a license?

Let me know. Thanks!

3. Well it's different in every state and I don't know what it is in NC. But I can tell you that that the Utah non-resident permit I applied for mentioned there can be no alcohol offenses going 6 years back. I have more than one DUI but the last one was over 15 years ago so I'm good there.

Obviously alcohol, drugs, and guns do NOT mix. I hope you're 100 percent clean and sober if you want to carry. I haven't touched a drop of alcohol in 15 years and plan on keeping it that way for life.

4. Deer Hunter is not saying that he committed a criminal offense because of his prior alcoholism, he is saying that he had an addiction to alcohol and got help. He wants to know if we believe some jackass will use that information as a weapon against him.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

5. Quote Originally Posted by kn1080 View Post
    Deer Hunter is not saying that he committed a criminal offense because of his prior alcoholism, ...
    I know that. It doesn't change my response.

He wants to know if we believe some jackass will use that information as a weapon against him.[
    Where does he say that? He's asking if his problems with alcohol can keep him from getting a permit. How can "some jackass" have any effect on that? What matters is the law in his state.

Deerhunter, call your licensing authority and ask them. That might save you some trouble, or at least prepare you when they see your medical recods.

I'm actually surprised that they will want to see any medical records, unless there mental health related and you've been diagnosed as down right crazy, Schizo, suicidal, involuntarily committed to a psych ward, etc.

Guess we have it good here in Kentucky. We don't have questions that delve into your health records. But, you can't have a DUI that is less than three years old at the time of conviction. I believe it's the same with the 4473 check, If you've had 2 DUI's within a 3 year period you are a "do not proceed" with the purchase of the firearm until you've been without a DUI conviction for 3 years from the date of the last conviction.

Hell, I'd just call your local Sheriff and ask him if it's going to give you any problems. An an attorney as mentioned above in other posts.

Just sayin.

Deerhunter,

Good job on staying clean and sober for 5 years. Your actually, in reality, the best person for a CCW. I'm betting an awful lot of CCW holders are daily drinkers and functioning alcoholics. They just haven't had any legal problems, yet.
    "When a government robs Peter to pay Paul it will alway's have the support of Paul" George Bernard Shaw

I would think (based on the MO application) that the anti-depressants would kick you out. Let alone the alcohol issue.

Quote Originally Posted by cardinalfan View Post
    I would think (based on the MO application) that the anti-depressants would kick you out. Let alone the alcohol issue.
    This is where I start to get my blood boiling.

Anti depressents can be taken for many reasons. They are not narcotics, they are not scheduled drugs and no one wants them on the steet like Vicodin or Percocet.

If the state is making an assumption that anyone being prescribed an anti depressant then it's far too objective and not at all subjective to the patients need for that particular drug. Maybe the patient just needs it for sleep, which some anti depressants are known to be prescribed for.

I'd rather have the CCW holder on his meds, then off his or her meds. It doesn't mean anyone is crazy just because they are prescribed a particular medication.
    "When a government robs Peter to pay Paul it will alway's have the support of Paul" George Bernard Shaw

10. i didnt see nothing on the app about medical records :-/

Quote Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
    Is alcoholism a condition that prevents you from getting a license?

Let me know. Thanks!
    Hello Deerhunter
    No.

Why do you think the name is Alcoholics Anonymous?
    Any Friend of Bill is a Friend of mine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast