CCW in the mail... Now the reality sets in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW in the mail... Now the reality sets in

CCW in the mail... Now the reality sets in

After waiting 10 weeks, I called Utah BCI today to check the status of my CCW. It has been issued and is in the mail. I got off the phone and the reality of it hit me. I am really going to be carrying a loaded firearm everywhere I go now. It took a whole new mentality just to buy a gun and take the class. Now, that mentality is going to be refined even further with the realization of the awesome responsibility I'm about to assume. I've prepared for this for weeks, both mentally and in training, it's just surreal now that it's actually happening. I am excited though... but it will certainly take some getting used to. Just sharing my thoughts, feel free to comment. Thanks

WOW! 10 Weeks! Well, that means I still have about.....Oh.....6 more weeks. I hope not.

1. You will be self concious at first.. Try not to tug your over garment to constantly cover. Or pat your weapon to ensure it is there.

2. Act naturally

3. Always carry when possible

4. Never tell anyone you are carrying except as required by law

I recommend going to your local sporting or gun stores and trying to spot carriers and learn from their mistakes!

Congratulations, Goat...I envy you.
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

Thanks for the comments. Retired Grunt, good suggestions. I've been carrying on my property, which is legal here, to get used to the feel as well as to determine how/where to carry. After a few minutes I forget it's there even with a cheap Uncle Mike's soft nylon holster, which I bought to practice with. I'd never use that to actually carry as it's just not secure. I was torn between IWB right side and IWB center back. I've decided on right side and ordered a Kholster today. It was toss-up between the Kholster and the Supertuck. Hopefully I made the right choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaingoat61 View Post
    After waiting 10 weeks, I called Utah BCI today to check the status of my CCW. It has been issued and is in the mail. I got off the phone and the reality of it hit me. I am really going to be carrying a loaded firearm everywhere I go now. It took a whole new mentality just to buy a gun and take the class. Now, that mentality is going to be refined even further with the realization of the awesome responsibility I'm about to assume. I've prepared for this for weeks, both mentally and in training, it's just surreal now that it's actually happening. I am excited though... but it will certainly take some getting used to. Just sharing my thoughts, feel free to comment. Thanks
    Congrats! I just sent mine in to Utah, too ! Headed down to Oregon to apply for one of theirs next week...I will let you know how that goes!

Quote Originally Posted by jibbster View Post
    Congrats! I just sent mine in to Utah, too ! Headed down to Oregon to apply for one of theirs next week...I will let you know how that goes!
    I hear Oregon's a real b!@h to get. From what I understand, you have to get one from each county that you want to carry in? Not sure if that's correct. Good luck!

Holster

I bought the kholster a year ago when I first got my ccw permit and although it may not be the best looking holster on the market I must say that I totally love it. I wear it all day long and don't even know it is there. Even while I'm at work and am not allowed to carry the gun I sill wear the holster so anytime i leave all i have to do is just slip the gun in and I'm ready to go. You may want to trim it to make it exactly the way you want it but once it is comfortable for you it feels just wonderful. Their customer service is fantastic too. I changed the cant and didn't get one of the screws tight and ended up loosing a screw and leather washer. I contacted kholster and asked then how much replacements would be and they just sent me a whole set of hardware at no charge even though I was clear that the problem was my fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Grunt View Post
    1. You will be self concious at first.. Try not to tug your over garment to constantly cover. Or pat your weapon to ensure it is there.

2. Act naturally

3. Always carry when possible

4. Never tell anyone you are carrying except as required by law

I recommend going to your local sporting or gun stores and trying to spot carriers and learn from their mistakes!
    Yea Yea. Amen..

I was told the 3 rules to carry by an issuing officer in the past.
    1. Never carry it unloaded. May as well carry a bat.
    2. Never remove it from the holster unless you intend to use it. It ain't a show and tell item.
    3. Dead Men will never lie. God forbid you have to, but don't shoot 'em in the foot or leg etc. shoot center mass then pray.

Peace..
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

JLC: I thought about the trim thing and even saw a video on youtube where a guy did that. Plus it doesn't void the warranty.

6ShooterCarry: Also good points, especially #3. Gotta watch this clip from Boston Legal. YouTube - Gun Control works "Thank God for Guns" and Gun Control. I showed my wife and said, "In real life that would be chest, chest, head." It was funny though, gotta love Hollyweird. :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast