How did it feel when you first started carrying? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How did it feel when you first started carrying?

You do feel the responsibility come on you (If you are not a Yahoo)..
    I carry a smaller 9mm in my back, and after a while I forget it's there.
    I was walking through Lowes the other day and it suddenly hit me that I didn't have my gun.. That's how comfortable I've become.. I'm still more aware, etc.. but it's more 2nd nature now..

The only thing that I still do is tug on my shirt tail.. The shirts sometimes get caught between the gun and my back if I lean over, so I'm a little habitual about the shirt tug, I know the gun is not showing since it is IWB, but the shirt caught between the gun and my back could draw undue attention..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

I just got my permit about a week ago. I had posted a thread called CCW in the Mail... Now the reality sets in. I posted how I felt when I had called Utah and they told me it was on my way. As you said, sobering, is a good word. I have carried for a week now and I'm already comfortable with it. I do have to think about my day in the mornings, thinking about where I'm going and what I'll be doing, then dress accordingly. I had to go to the airport yesterday and knew I would be going through security so I just left it in the car for that hour or so.

But yes, there is a sense of responsibility and even awe about the power you have when you carry. If a person doesn't recognize that responsibility then they have no business carrying.

I carry a S&W Sigma 40 caliber and yes, it does have a 20 lb trigger pull (exaggeration but not by much) but being new to carrying, it is a safety feature that I do feel comfortable with right now, especially being double action only. That virtually eliminates the possibility of an accidental discharge. I will probably upgrade to something of a higher quality later but for now, I do like it.

Congrats on the new venture and welcome to the world of those of us who won't become a victim without a fight.

The second time I drove to my brother's place to shoot, I had my Glock 26 in a fobus holster. It took about an hour and 45 minutes to get there and my side was a bit sore, because I didn't have it in a good spot. I have since become better adjusted to it, figuritively and literally!
    I have to wear a slightly oversized t-shirt with the 26 and the holster I have.
    If the pants aren't tight, I'll pocket a Keltec instead.!

It made me much more aware of my surroundings. It also made me realize the responsibility I had to avoid any kind of trouble and to not get into any kind of arguments or confrontations with other people. I guess you could say it made me a better citizen as weird as it sounds.

6. Quote Originally Posted by dkangel21 View Post
    It made me much more aware of my surroundings. It also made me realize the responsibility I had to avoid any kind of trouble and to not get into any kind of arguments or confrontations with other people. I guess you could say it made me a better citizen as weird as it sounds.
    Pretty much what he said.

There have been a LOT of situations that have come up over the years (it's closing in on 20) where I acted out of character (I don't put up with much under most circumstances) to avoid or defuse a potential confrontation that I felt could get out of hand. I also started being much more aware of my surroundings and the actions of those around me.

As for the actual carrying of the gun, I was REALLY aware it was on my hip and was quite self-conscious about it for a long time. I wouldn't say I was in awe, but I did feel the extra mental and psychological weight of the responsibility it entailed.

7. I still find that when I carry, I avoid any situation that could have any possibility of trouble. I will put up with a whole lot more and walk away when Im carrying.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

8. Im even a more curteous driver when I carry.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

The frozen tundra!! Also known as Minnesota
    I've carried some sort of firearm most of my time in the Military so I guess I got used to having one while in public and have never thought about it from day one.
    MN Permit to Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, PPITH
    NRA Life Member, 3 x Iraq War Vet

It fees great! From 22 to a.40 CAL - .380
    9MM , naked without it shouder is better for
    bigger. Rig=safety=reliability.

Awaremes

Quote Originally Posted by dkangel21 View Post
    That sums it up 100%. Awareness, avoiding "bad" areas, being observant. Also, being "prepared".

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast