How many carry a Glock or XD with one in the chamber - Page 10
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: How many carry a Glock or XD with one in the chamber

1. Quote Originally Posted by W.D.Murray View Post
    Thanks for all the info.

I have started to carry the XD with one in the chamber, I have become very comfortable with it. I posted this question when I was just starting to carry the XD and not the 1911, it was just the difference in the safeties between the 1911 and XD that had me nervous. I just felt the 1911 was a safer gun but now have no worries about the XD.
    does your firearm has hammer on semi-auto ? Some Kimberly, and other guns have a hammer on semi-auto. Be carefully !! Bang ! Glock has no hammer, just pin. But keep finger and object away from the trigger.
    NRA Life Member

3. Good to read you are now comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber. Flip side of comfort is ALWAYS!!! be sure your piece is UNLOADED by first removing the magazine and then MANUALLY OPERATE THE SLIDE BACK to release the chambered round and then TURN THE GUN ON THE SIDE AND DUMP THE CHAMBERED ROUND INTO THE PALM OF YOUR FREE HAND. Now your gun is unloaded and safe for storage. Removal of the magazine alone does not unload the chambered round the weapon. Another useful and safe method of loading is to do it outdoors with the muzzle of the gun pointed at the soil. On very rare occasions the sheer vibration of racking the round first being chambered could cause the weapon to fire. This is most probably caused by a substandard cartridge. Most police agencies advise racking outside and always pointed down. I always follow the methods I am suggesting that you follow as well. Always be safe; you can never be sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Peterson View Post
    On very rare occasions the sheer vibration of racking the round first being chambered could cause the weapon to fire. This is most probably caused by a substandard cartridge.
    I've never heard of this happening. Do you have any links to any stories where this has happened?
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Thumbs up Of course one in the hole

I carry one of 3 glocks with one in the chute- a 29, a 26 or a 19- all have one in the chamber. No need to not have one ready to go, glocks have the trigger safety- i feel that as long as you are conscience of how to operate your weapon, you will not have any mishaps-

6. No, I do not have any links on this other than to tell you that my police department put out an advisory on this many years ago. I can tell you that this incident actually happened to a highway patrol colleague and it is a very bad event if it ever happens. He was suiting up in his basement where his duty equipment/safe is located and his glock fired upon racking. I always insert a magazine with several rounds and rack the gun (outside of course). I then remove that magazine and replace it with a fully loaded one. The result is one round in the gun and a full magazine on board, two spares on the belt and a back-up detective special revolver, holstered, in the pocket. That is duty carry power. It is also good off duty defensive protection.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Peterson View Post
    On very rare occasions the sheer vibration of racking the round first being chambered could cause the weapon to fire.
    No, I do not have any links on this other than to tell you that my police department put out an advisory on this many years ago. I can tell you that this incident actually happened to a highway patrol colleague and it is a very bad event if it ever happens. He was suiting up in his basement where his duty equipment/safe is located and his glock fired upon racking.
    Don't take it personally, because I'm not attacking you but that's a load of bull and that advisory must have been put out by someone that has as much firearms knowledge as I have about nuclear physics and string theory combined. Like very little- if any.

Vibration will NOT set ammunition off.

If vibration would set ammunition off, prop driven airplanes would have never had machine guns mounted on them. Most guns were mounted in the engine cowling of fighter aircraft until just before WWII and that would be one of the places most subjected to vibration on the aircraft. In my experience, LEO's that actually know something about firearms (opposed to those that think because they carry one for a living they know all) are a small minority, so I'd take that advisory with a grain of salt.

The compound used in primers is sensitive to sudden increases in pressure against it. (Not steady pressure, otherwise you couldn't press new primers in when you are reloading ammunition nor could you get new ammo for that matter.) Unless you smack it around or you focus all the pressure on a very small area of the face of the primer and push on it hard, it's actually quite stable.

If the gun when off while chambering a round, comes down to an issue with the gun ( worn sear, high spot or bur on the breechface around the mouth of the firing pin hole, ... to name just a few possibilities), an issue with the ammunition (high primer most likely) or operator error (like not keeping his booger picker off the trigger).

I have both a Glock 19 and a XD40. They are stored locked in a safe with no round in the chamber; they are carried with a round in the chamber. Both the Glock and the XD are designed with internal safeties and meant to be carried with a round in the chamber. Anyone who fears their Glock or XD will go off by itself has the option of leaving the chamber empty until they need it loaded, (hopefully they will also have the time to do a proper rack, a good feed, and still have time to engage the target.

Have XD Aways Have One In The Chamber

Just my two cents but not having one in the chamber could cost you your life. If you consistently practice safe firearm handling skills having one in the chamber is not an issue. Having to clear clothing or concealment (under duress) rack a round, (again under duress) could cost you the split second you needed to survive.

No, I do not have any links on this other than to tell you that my police department put out an advisory on this many years ago. I can tell you that this incident actually happened to a highway patrol colleague and it is a very bad event if it ever happens. He was suiting up in his basement where his duty equipment/safe is located and his glock fired upon racking. I always insert a magazine with several rounds and rack the gun (outside of course). I then remove that magazine and replace it with a fully loaded one. The result is one round in the gun and a full magazine on board, two spares on the belt and a back-up detective special revolver, holstered, in the pocket. That is duty carry power. It is also good off duty defensive protection.
    I heard this was due to chambering the same round over and over again. I was instructed by a Glock armorer to not keep using the same round in the chamber after 5 times either shoot it out or replace it.

Sorry I didn't pay attention to exactly why chambering the same round would eventually make it go off. I just remembered to remove the round after the fifth time chambering it.

I should have payed attention it seems that this only causes the bullet to be set back in the case and could cause your gun to blow up or that is for Glocks. Some one else said that it can cause the primer to get deformed and if your gun has a firing pin instead of a striker it could cause the round to fire.

Quote Originally Posted by W.D.Murray View Post
    Just wondering how many people carry a XD or Glock with one in the chamber? I have a XD but feel very unsafe carrying with one in the chamber. I have several 1911 .45 that I would feel uncomfortable carrying with out one in the chamber.
    newb!

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast