How many carry a Glock or XD with one in the chamber - Page 11
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: How many carry a Glock or XD with one in the chamber

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    Don't take it personally, because I'm not attacking you but that's a load of bull and that advisory must have been put out by someone that has as much firearms knowledge as I have about nuclear physics and string theory combined. Like very little- if any.

Vibration will NOT set ammunition off.

If vibration would set ammunition off, prop driven airplanes would have never had machine guns mounted on them. Most guns were mounted in the engine cowling of fighter aircraft until just before WWII and that would be one of the places most subjected to vibration on the aircraft. In my experience, LEO's that actually know something about firearms (opposed to those that think because they carry one for a living they know all) are a small minority, so I'd take that advisory with a grain of salt.

The compound used in primers is sensitive to sudden increases in pressure against it. (Not steady pressure, otherwise you couldn't press new primers in when you are reloading ammunition nor could you get new ammo for that matter.) Unless you smack it around or you focus all the pressure on a very small area of the face of the primer and push on it hard, it's actually quite stable.

If the gun when off while chambering a round, comes down to an issue with the gun ( worn sear, high spot or bur on the breechface around the mouth of the firing pin hole, ... to name just a few possibilities), an issue with the ammunition (high primer most likely) or operator error (like not keeping his booger picker off the trigger).
    From what I know of the supposed ( accidents) with Glocks, the problem more often than not is caused by a out of place Booger finger, and most don't even realize it, and I cannot completly fault the LEO, his or her departments improper training is most likely at fault, and then there is the Officer that views his weapon as a tool nothing more, kind of like a mechanic and a wrench or screwdriver, and the weapons use becomes something that does not get the thought and care it should, and one day the booger finger is not where it should be and oops, the dam thing just went off

I carry a Gock 36 with one in the chamber at all times. I also carry a flashlight (with batteries in it).
    Its Better To Have It And Not Need It Than To Need It And Not Have It.

with all due respect, anyone who carries for SD without one in the chamber is a fool

Glock 27 chambered for me.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    with all due respect, anyone who carries for SD without one in the chamber is a fool
    Co-signed.

7. How about this for a suggestion for those that do not carry a round chambered...

Get a reloader to put a primer in a piece of empty brass for you. Breech load the empty brass in the chamber and then insert a fully loaded magazine in the gun. If your gun has a negligent discharge it will only pop the primer in the loaded brass and do nothing else. If you want to shoot, when you rack the slide, the empty brass will simply be ejected and not affect the functioning of the gun in those circumstances.

Then, in the years that you carry the primed brass around in your gun, you will know how many negligent discharges were prevented.

If you have a holster that covers the trigger and you keep your finger of the trigger while you draw it's quite safe. There's a reason so many PDs use Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    How about this for a suggestion for those that do not carry a round chambered...

Get a reloader to put a primer in a piece of empty brass for you. Breech load the empty brass in the chamber and then insert a fully loaded magazine in the gun. If your gun has a negligent discharge it will only pop the primer in the loaded brass and do nothing else. If you want to shoot, when you rack the slide, the empty brass will simply be ejected and not affect the functioning of the gun in those circumstances.

Then, in the years that you carry the primed brass around in your gun, you will know how many negligent discharges were prevented.
    You could also get one of those silly Saf-T-bullets. While you're at it, purchace a CCW Badge as well.

I Carry a Glock .40

I carry a Glock .40 with one in the chamber, and I've never had a problem.

Thumbs up Loaded Chamber, no CCW badge required.

Quote Originally Posted by fsemeraro View Post
    I carry a Glock .40 with one in the chamber, and I've never had a problem.
    Me too. And I don't need no stinkin CCW badge either.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast