How many carry a Glock or XD with one in the chamber - Page 6
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: How many carry a Glock or XD with one in the chamber

I carry a glock 27 in a comptac mtac iwb holster and would never have it on me without one in the chamber. If a weapon is ever needed (hopefully not), there's only fractions of a second that could save your life and having to rack the slide could be the fraction of a second that could end your life.

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    I personally prefer carrying a LOADED gun for self defense because I live in the real world and I understand that I may not have a spare hand free to chamber a round. It may be tied up with fending off my attacker(s) or may be injured in the initial exchange.
    Try the 10-8 Tactical rear site for one hand slide racking in the case of a misfire. I added one to my M&P45 and plan to do the same for the .40 compact. The demo with my local dealer sold me. The sight has a grooved rear for no issue with reflection and no dots. The sight is a U notch, but the barrel side has a J shape and when hooked on the edge of your pants, pocket edge, belt or BGs face... It holds and will allow you to rack the slide.

10-8 PERFORMANCE LLC : S&W M&P U-NOTCH REAR SIGHT - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools...

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    ...and when hooked on the... BGs face... It holds and will allow you to rack the slide.
    Now that is a demo I'd love to witness!
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

5. Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    Try the 10-8 Tactical rear site for one hand slide racking in the case of a misfire. I added one to my M&P45 and plan to do the same for the .40 compact. The demo with my local dealer sold me. The sight has a grooved rear for no issue with reflection and no dots. The sight is a U notch, but the barrel side has a J shape and when hooked on the edge of your pants, pocket edge, belt or BGs face... It holds and will allow you to rack the slide.

10-8 PERFORMANCE LLC : S&W M&P U-NOTCH REAR SIGHT - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools...

Peace...
    All of my 1911's and Hi-Powers have the old school fixed sights on them (taller than the old WWII GI variety but still just a simple blade). I'm old fashioned when it comes to sights on a pistol. I still ain't sold on the 3 dot system (much less night sights) and prefer flat black. I find myself worrying more about the dots than I am the actual sight blade, so I just color them in with a Sharpie and call it even. In a pinch, I could get them racked 1 handed using the rear sight if necessary. My Hi-Powers can be press cocked on the edge of whatever hard surface is handy, as can the full size 1911's. None of my Government models have EVER had full length guide rods nor will they ever have them put in for just such a circumstance. Commander length or shorter guns (4 1/4 inches or less) won't go back far enough to either clear a jam or chamber a round, so I keep fairly tall rear sights on them.

Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    Now that is a demo I'd love to witness!
    I asked a few BGs and none of them were too keen on the project.
    Not sure why there was so much resistance

Peace...

My XDM is my BUG and as with all my guns it's Keep your booger finger off the bang switch unless you intend on shooting it..... so yess all my CCW guns have one in the pipe....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    All of my 1911's and Hi-Powers have the old school fixed sights on them (taller than the old WWII GI variety but still just a simple blade). I'm old fashioned when it comes to sights on a pistol. I still ain't sold on the 3 dot system (much less night sights) and prefer flat black. I find myself worrying more about the dots than I am the actual sight blade, so I just color them in with a Sharpie and call it even. In a pinch, I could get them racked 1 handed using the rear sight if necessary. My Hi-Powers can be press cocked on the edge of whatever hard surface is handy, as can the full size 1911's. None of my Government models have EVER had full length guide rods nor will they ever have them put in for just such a circumstance. Commander length or shorter guns (4 1/4 inches or less) won't go back far enough to either clear a jam or chamber a round, so I keep fairly tall rear sights on them.
    Same here... I dislike the 3 dots too busy... Give me one front sight or a dot on the front site (if it's there it's a bonus) and plain black U notch rear sight. I swapped out the rear sight on the M&P because it had the Novak type. Can't one hand rack the slide with that. So the guy I get my gear from had a 10-8 Pro on his 1911 and allowed me to try it with some dummy ammo. Sold me right then and there.

My Colt Officer's ACP has a blade type rear on it. I would be concerned trying to press cock my Officers ACP due to the recoil spring plug. I fear it would get pushed in far enough to allow the barrel bushing to turn. Perhaps unfounded fear, but I could see it happening. So push will not get it far enough back to full cycle on the Officers? Hum never though to try that with it. It's one of my newer acquisitions so I'll have to check that..

Thanks for the thought food..

Peace...

9. I carry a Glock 21 with one in the chamber. I am comfortable with its long trigger pull & internal safeties---my belief is that, when push comes to shove, I will likely be too busy obtaining/maintaining a sight picture than remembering to rack the slide. One less thing to go wrong.....etc! --gj

I carry a LCP, no safety DAO, always one in the pipe. Never had any worries. I pocket carry in a holster, can't touch the trigger unless I mean to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ropadope View Post
    You mean to tell me that there are members here that actually consider not chambering a round while carrying ??

If your not confident in your own handgun safety and skill set, you don't need to be carrying.

A big +1 on this

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast