How many carry a Glock or XD with one in the chamber - Page 8
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: How many carry a Glock or XD with one in the chamber

Always carried with one chambered, in all of my guns. It's a non-issue for me. I've carried revolvers for many years and none of them have any safeties on them, and none have ever gone off unless I pulled the trigger first. So, I definitely am not bothered by an XD, etc. carried that way.

3. I carried Glock on and off duty with a round in the chamber.The gun is safe to carry a round in the chamber.Proper training should get you over the fear of having a round go off.If you carry a gun for self defense without a round in the chamber than you need to practice to load up and fire.I don't own an XD because of the reliability issues.The Glock works fine.

A Glock is very safe with one in the chamber provided its in good operating condition and the trigger isn't pulled. I carry a 45 cocked and locked (condition 3); its a matter of training and familiarity. I also second the "don't believe in carrying a rock" comment - guns are too expensive to be only a club! Taking only a few seconds to rack a slide may be way too long.

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by matelpt View Post
    A Glock is very safe with one in the chamber provided its in good operating condition and the trigger isn't pulled. I carry a 45 cocked and locked (condition 3); its a matter of training and familiarity. I also second the "don't believe in carrying a rock" comment - guns are too expensive to be only a club! Taking only a few seconds to rack a slide may be way too long.
    From the M1911.org FAQ page (and every discussion I've ever heard on the subject):
    Q: What are the 5 conditions? How do I check which of the "Conditions" my M1911 is in?

A: The five conditions, in order from most safe to least safe (and, conversely, least ready to most ready) are:

* Condition 4: No magazine or an empty magazine in place, chamber empty, hammer uncocked.
    * Condition 3: Loaded magazine in place, chamber empty, hammer uncocked.
    * Condition 2: Round chambered, hammer uncocked.
    * Condition 1: Round chambered, hammer cocked, thumb safety applied
    * Condition 0: Round chambered, hammer cocked, thumb safety off, ready to fire.

"Loaded, cocked, & locked" is Condition 1

I carry Glock G20 10MM +1 Always ready to go...

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    I already have a concealed carry gun on me that's a known quantity, I don't need to load the one I just bought. If it's a business that doesn't allow concealed carry, I wouldn't be spending my money in it anyhow.

I don't carry a gun for self defense before I get it to a range so I can have a 'get to know you'/break in session or 2 with it. I want a couple hundred rounds AT LEAST (including a couple boxes, at least, of whatever I've chosen as a carry load for it) through a gun before I feel comfortable enough with it to be willing to bet my life on it.

On high end 1911's like those from Les Baer or Ed Brown, make that at least 1,000 rounds and probably more like 12-1500 before I'm comfortable with it being 'broken in' enough to carry. As tight as the Baer and Brown gun's I've handled are, I want to be very sure that they are fully broken in before using them for concealed carry. I had a custom 1911 set up for bowling pin matches in the early '90's that would shoot cloverleaf shaped groups all day at 25 yards. You just had to break it down every 100 rounds to clean it because it would start jamming.
    First, any of the shops we go to allow CC, what kind of gun shop would not?..second weather I load a new gun or not is my buisness, and new or not I NEVER ONLY HAVE ONE WEAPON, and while I agree that if you are unfamilure with a certain type of gun then it should be taken to the range before carrying, also why would anyone want to spend $1500 to $2000+ dollars on a gun that needed 1200rds thru it before being deemed reliable? what the hell is that, I geuss the high end 1911s have a place, and I also agree some are real artwork, and would not mind haveing one someday, ( personaly I would go for a Wilson) maybe to take to the range or gun club and show off, or Matches, but as a CCW, No Way, one last thing keeping a weapon clean is great, but a CCW weapon that needed to be cleaned every 100rds to work properly is BS, I have several handguns and I keep them enough, but one old Glock 17 I traded for 4 or 5 years ago has NEVER ben cleaned, unless you count the couple of times I stuck in the rain barrel at the range to show the guys it would still fire, I admit I did soak it down with WD-40 after I did the rain barrel but I did not break it down and clean it just wrapped in a towel till the WD dried off, as far as how many rds have ben through that old gun, no idea, somewhere between 8 and 10K, bet you would never stick your $2000 Les Baer in a rain barrel

8. Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    ... but a CCW weapon that needed to be cleaned every 100rds to work properly is BS...
    I never used it as a concealed carry piece, just for bowling pin shooting (hence, my reference to having it set up for bowling pin matches).

The big BoMar target sights would have dug into my ribs too much and they would have cut my shirts to ribbons. I had it built by a retired Army AMU gunsmith in exchange for a US Switch and Signal marked 1911-A1 I had picked up. It was also the most accurate 1911 I've ever shot. With 230gr ball or an equivalent reload, it was a tack driver. The only draw backs it had was that it was built too tight, so it wouldn't shoot after it got dirty (a bad thing when I used Bullseye for my reloading) and it threw the first round of a new mag (the one that's manually chambered) to a different point of impact. You could stack all the shots from the rest of the mag right on top of the first shot, but it wasn't going to be exactly where you were aiming. I normally would wast the first round into the backstop and then shoot the rest of the mag. If I needed more than 1 mag's worth of ammo, I'd tactically reload it along the way so the round in the chamber had been fed in by the gun's recoil instead of me dropping the slide.

I agree about the Les Baer guns being built too tight. If I pay that much for a gun, it better work the first, last and every time I pull the trigger. If it needs that much break in, then maybe the tolerances are too tight for reliable function.

Oh, I wouldn't stick a Jammin' Jennings into a rain barrel intentionally. I don't believe in intentionally abusing a firearm.

78 posts and less than 6 with the magical keywords: Training and trigger finger. It matters not what kind of gun you carry or the type of holster you use: To be comfortable with carrying with a round chambered only comes through Proper Training and understanding your weapons features.

If you feel unsafe about carrying a chambered round, PLEASE get proper training. Only through training will you get the confidence of securing your abilities and understanding your weapons capabilities.

Proper dry practice of drawing an Unloaded Weapon from a holster will help you develop that confidence when you throughly understand all safety practices and precautions.

Understanding also that a loaded gun only fires in the hands of its user when and only when your trigger finger pulls the trigger fully to its rear position. As mentioned in an earlier post, learn to develop the muscle memory to keep your finger off of the trigger while drawing from your holster until your sights are on and you are willing to destroy your target.

10. I carry my XD .45 service w/ a loaded chamber...my 1911s in con.1...my Ruger LCR is loaded w/5 chambers loaded,what the difference between a revolver and a con.1 auto? Without question,the biggest thing to always remember is KEEP FINGER OFF TRIGGER UNTIL READY TO FIRE!..always,always..without exception. Remeber rule 1..treat every weapon as loaded! Heres a little saying that might help: finger on trigger,sights on target...no target,no trigger. take care.

Quote Originally Posted by rock rat View Post
    i carry my xd .45 service w/ a loaded chamber...my 1911s in con.1...my ruger lcr is loaded w/5 chambers loaded,what the difference between a revolver and a con.1 auto? Without question,the biggest thing to always remember is keep finger off trigger until ready to fire!..always,always..without exception. Remeber rule 1..treat every weapon as loaded! Heres a little saying that might help: Finger on trigger,sights on target...no target,no trigger. Take care.
    aka keep your booger finger off the bang switch
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast