How many carry a Glock or XD with one in the chamber - Page 9
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: How many carry a Glock or XD with one in the chamber

I've got an XD-40 and XD-40 SC, both of which are in a gun safe when not on my hip while around the house. When I'm wearing around the house - I'm trying to get myself use to carrying - I've got a round in the chamber. However, I have children in the house and so never leave the weapon just lying around - even on top of a book shelf - nor do I leave a round in the chamber if I'm home during the day and the weapon is in the gun safe. I don't "play" w/the pistols loaded if I'm doing something along the lines of practicing my draw w/a holster (picked up a couple of different types over the last two weeks), but make sure to check the "tells" of my pistols every so often to remind myself that they're loaded.

At night, however, I keep the 4" loaded and ready to go while it's in the safe. Once I leave for the day, I unload it and put it back in the safe. I'd rather not take any chances that one of my children might somehow manage to open the safe while I'm gone. Call me paranoid on that one, but that's just how I prefer to keep the weapons when I'm not home. The magazines are next to the weapon in the safe, just that the weapons are unloaded when no one is home.

I was a bit nervous at first about this line of pistols not having a de-cocking lever, but now that I'm a bit more accustomed to them, it's not quite as much of a big deal. Just making sure that I continue on w/my good habits as I really don't want an accidental discharge to happen - whether anyone gets hurt or not.

3. XD - 40, XDm - 40...Always one in the chamber. I understand your need to feel comfortable but a lot can happen in that split second. Including, if it ever went down, being comfortable from that point on.

4. I carry the XD45C mostly and of course loaded. If your are uneasy about this drop the mag and rack the slide and carry it for a day. It will be in the same condition at the end of the day and this will prove to you that the weapon will not discharge unless all the safeties are engaged and the trigger is pulled.

5. Quote Originally Posted by W.D.Murray View Post
    Just wondering how many people carry a XD or Glock with one in the chamber? I have a XD but feel very unsafe carrying with one in the chamber. I have several 1911 .45 that I would feel uncomfortable carrying with out one in the chamber.
    W.D.Murray,

My question, do you have a ccw license? If so, you already took ccw class and went to the shooting range with NRA CCW Instructor, right. You did well one load in the chamber when the CCW instructor commands "fire", you pulled out your gun and shoot at the center mass, and then re-insert back your firearm in the holster. How do you feel ? Scare or Nada ?

I have no problem with one load in the chamber on my Glocks. FAITH!
    NRA Life Member

6. If you carry a semi auto like a glock you'd better have one in the chamber. Otherwise don't carry a semi auto. It is unsafe to have a piece that cannot be instantaneously depended upon to operate. Revolvers are great carry guns if a chambered semi auto scares you. Just this guy's opinion.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Peterson View Post
    If you carry a semi auto like a glock you'd better have one in the chamber. Otherwise don't carry a semi auto. It is unsafe to have a piece that cannot be instantaneously depended upon to operate. Revolvers are great carry guns if a chambered semi auto scares you. Just this guy's opinion.
    Can you explain more details ? Why you mentioned don't carry a semi-auto like Glock ?
    NRA Life Member

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RRGlock23 View Post
    Can you explain more details ? Why you mentioned don't carry a semi-auto like Glock ?
    (RRGlock- correct me if I misunderstand you)

He's saying that any semi-auto that has no round in the chamber may as well be a paperweight. Do you carry a paperweight, or leave it on the desk?

OK, so the SAFE options would be:
    1) Carry with a round in the chamber
    2) Carry a revolver
    3) Hire a 24/7/365 Armed Security Service

9. Glock with a chambered round

From reading your post I have the distinct impression that you are frightened about the "danger" of a chambered round in a semi-auto. For that reason I suggested a revolver as an alternate. A loaded revolver has five or six chambered rounds and the weapon will operate if the trigger is pulled. That is the response that you want. A glock or any semi-auto without a chambered round is for all intensive purposes an "unloaded" weapon and useless to you for personal defense. Nothing will happen if you pull the trigger. Your gun will certainly be safe and so will your perpetrator. You will be history. You will never have time to rack the gun and use it if you ever had to. Every police officer that carries a glock or other semi-auto either places a round in the chamber and then inserts his magazine to have a full load, or places the magazine and then racks the gun before placing it in his holster. My advice is unquestionably carry a racked loaded gun whenever it is on your person so it is operational. Your semi-auto must always be racked or have an additional first round manually placed into the chamber. As an additional measure of "safety", whenever I'm packing my glock I have a back-up fully loaded revolver in my pocket just in case the glock ever jams. Every police officer does. Just like every smoker carries two lighters. I sure hope you got my drift. I want you to stay "safe".

10. Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    (RRGlock- correct me if I misunderstand you)

He's saying that any semi-auto that has no round in the chamber may as well be a paperweight. Do you carry a paperweight, or leave it on the desk?

OK, so the SAFE options would be:
    1) Carry with a round in the chamber
    2) Carry a revolver
    3) Hire a 24/7/365 Armed Security Service
    Oh I see...I always one round in the chamber my semi-auto glock I loved it
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for all the info.

I have started to carry the XD with one in the chamber, I have become very comfortable with it. I posted this question when I was just starting to carry the XD and not the 1911, it was just the difference in the safeties between the 1911 and XD that had me nervous. I just felt the 1911 was a safer gun but now have no worries about the XD.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast