Can you carry in Applebees in Ohio?

Thread: Can you carry in Applebees in Ohio?

1. Can you carry in Applebees in Ohio?

Can anyone tell me if you can carry in a restaurant in Ohio like Applebees if there is no sign on the door, you are not drinking, and you do not sit in the bar? We are going on a trip next week and I wanted to find out what the law regarding this is in Ohio.

Thanks,

Neal

Legally NO. In Ohio, you can not carry in a place that has a license and serves for consumtion on the property.
    Mike

Hi Neal, check out this website:Buckeye Firearms Association | Defending Your Firearm Rights it should have all the answers you need. Living in Ohio myself, I use this site for these kind of questions. The Applebee's Restaurant in Oregon, Ohio is listed so I would assume that the chain itself would be off limits. You can check by going to the CCW information center and go to the DO NOT PATRONIZE section.

No Carrying in D Permit Establishments in Ohio

fishingnut is correct. Ohio Rev. Code § 2923.121 provides that "[n]o person shall possess a firearm in any room in which any person is consuming liquor in premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code or in an open air arena for which a permit of that nature has been issued[,]" and punishes all violations as a felony.

This statute does not appear to apply if no person in the room is drinking (e.g., on Sundays if the establishment does not have a Sunday sales permit). However, the danger is that it's impossible to know if someone has begun drinking and reactivated the statute. Also, while there is some argument as to whether beer is liquor for the purposes of that statute, don't bet your freedom on that argument (at any rate, every Applebee's I know has a full bar).

For now, do not carry into any restaurant that sells alcoholic beverages. There are a couple of bills pending (HB 203 and SB 239), which would exempt CHL holders who are not under the influence and not drinking while in the establishment. SB 239 is the better of these bills and is beginning to move in committee. However, until one of these bills passes, the law remains as is.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Attorney, The Law Offices of James M. Mullins, Jr., PLLC
    Founder and Past President, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by WVCDL View Post
    There are a couple of bills pending (HB 203 and SB 239), which would exempt CHL holders who are not under the influence and not drinking while in the establishment. SB 239 is the better of these bills and is beginning to move in committee. However, until one of these bills passes, the law remains as is.
    Has anyone heard if action on these has been taken or if they have been passed?

NRA Certified Instructor
    US Army Retired
    Prior Federal Police Officer Instructor