Holster theory... can anyone shoot down this idea?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holster theory... can anyone shoot down this idea?

Holster theory... can anyone shoot down this idea?

I'm about to order an Minotaur MTAC holster but I think I want to try something a little different and wanted to see if anyone had already tried my idea. I'd never heard anyone else mention it before.

I'm right handed and currently I carry IWB at about 5:00 with a right handed Kholster. My shoulders are arthritic and sometimes it just plain hurts to draw my weapon. When you draw with your right hand from a right handed holster at 5:00 your palm naturally faces your back. I've found it much easier and less painful to touch my back with the back of my hand instead of the palm. Try it yourself and see if you can feel what I mean. If I ordered a left handed holster in place of a right handed one I would be drawing my weapon with the back of my hand facing my back which would be a much more comfortable movement.

Anyone out there ever tried this method? Anyone know of any drawbacks to doing what I've outlined above?

Thank you,

Larry
    "If guns cause crime, all mine are defective" -Ted Nugent

3. I have carried with the left hand inside the pants since I feel it is easier on my shoulder as well. It works fine for me but one thing to keep in mind is that you potentially muzzle sweep yourself when you draw from a left hand holster (being right handed). This should not be much of a problem if you keep your finger off the trigger when you draw, but you are still sweeping your self. Just something to think about.

It's called Small Of Back carry (SOB), and is quite common, and a lot more comfortable and somewhat more 'concealed' that way, using the opposite handed holster (left for righties, right for lefties...)
    N38 19' 56.52" W85 45' 8.56"
    Semper Gumby
    Ethics are what we do when no one else is looking.

5. I use an ambidextrous NRA Slide Holster at 4:00 to 5:00 and when I'm sitting in the car, I turn the gun around butt forward, so as to be drawing as you describe. It's much more comfortable, both for sitting and drawing. It doesn't conceal as well while walking around though, so I turn it back to standard right hand draw as I leave the vehicle.
    Slow is Steady
    Steady is Fast

Quote Originally Posted by starbasessd View Post
    It's called Small Of Back carry (SOB), and is quite common, and a lot more comfortable and somewhat more 'concealed' that way, using the opposite handed holster (left for righties, right for lefties...)
    Exactly. SOB is the most comfortable way I have found to carry. I'm right handed and I just ordered a new 'left' IWB for SOB carry that's going to have a 15 degree cant toward the right side to make it even easier. I've always either had to carry at 11 and cross draw or at 5 - 5:30 for comfort. Never could carry at 2 - 4:30 comfortably.

I have a defense class coming up that I "have" to carry strong side 2-3 o'clock and not sure how I'm going to make out.
    NRA Member

That's the way I've always carried. Mostly because it conceals much better that way.. I was talking to someone who sells holster (that's all they sell) and he did not know that's the way I carry and he talked about that's how it's depicted in Hollywood and shouldn't be carried that way..
    It is the most comfortable and most concealed for me, and it has nothing to do with anything I've seen..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

8. The draw from the 5 o'clock position when carrying the gun butt out is essentially identical to the old 'Twist' or 'Cavalry' draw that's been around and in use for a couple hundred years. Back then, the gun was just carried more on the hip bone and, maybe, a little lower but you aren't trying to draw a 7 1/2 inch Colt SAA from over your kidney either.

Carrying a gun butt forward and drawing it without sweeping yourself isn't that hard. The question is when do you rotate the gun back 'up right' so you can see the sights. If you do it after it is pointed down range, there's no body parts in front of the muzzle. If you try to do it immediately after clearing leather, you are gonna end up sweeping your side, hip, thigh or lower ribcage.

Here's how I'd do it if I was worried about sweeping myself when drawing from this carry position.

I'd grab the gun, clear leather, and, with my elbow still high, I'd keep the gun pointed down at the ground as I swung it forward. As I got it in front of me, I'd drop my elbow back to my side as I let my forearm and hand rotate back to it's normal thumb up position as I brought the gun onto the target.

I Cowboy Action Shoot and there's folks that use this drawing and carry technique (it comes in handy for drawing longer barreled pistols from holsters that are carried at the waist or hip). If CAS shooters can figure out how to do it safely enough to be allowed (and CAS matches are dead serious about firearms safety), then you should be able to do it in real life safely and easily.

Thank you all for taking the time to answer and voice your thoughts and opinions. i think I'm going to go ahead and order a left handed model and give it a try. Thanks again.
    "If guns cause crime, all mine are defective" -Ted Nugent

m a rightyI use a left hand in the waistband holster at the small of my back. I prefer how it orients my little .38 snubbie. And for me at least, it feels more natural to reach back in that direction for it.

Does this holster have a cant to it? If so you will probably have to cant it the opposite way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast