A Police Offer Told me this - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A Police Offer Told me this

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    You guys told me in a previous post that I won't get a CCW permit (in California) because it's nearly impossible.
    So you suggested an "open-carry"..

Well, yesterday an officer told me this..

"Sure, you can open-carry but you'll attract more attention to yourself.
    You have the right to discharge your firearm if someone broke-in or is attempting to break into your residence.
    If you discharge your firearm outdoors even in a defensive situation, I'd still have to investigate the shoot.
    About 60% of the time the person open-carrying is arrested also."
    I've had discussions with officers to this degree as well. My response usually goes something like, "No disrespect officer, but if I ever have to shoot defensively and you arrested me simply based on the shoot without any probable cause of a crime, I would have one hell of a lawsuit on my hands and you would likely lose your qualified immunity from personal lawsuits."

That usually ends the "you shouldn't do that" lecture.

Besides, if you are in a situation where you need to shoot defensively, it means your life is in imminent danger. Even if it somehow is a crime to shoot your attacker, it's still better to have a limited jail sentence than a permanent address in a cemetery.

rayven;

You may try reading this. It may change your opinion about arrest and self defense. What is written here is not State specific.
    Defending the Self-Defense Case

A criminal defense lawyer, who has been involved in defensive shootings has indicated that even a justified shooting will cost you about $20,000 to prove that it was justified self defense (At least in the State of Oregon). A couple of states this would not apply to. I dont believe Pen is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by dkirkland View Post
    In the spirit of the OP title: I had a LEO tell my wife that it was illegal to carry a handgun in her car with out a CHL.. I guess this particular LEO hasn't heard of the several laws in Texas that allow this to happen. I am tempted to contact the department that the officer works for and suggest a required remedial class on laws regarding having a handgun by law abiding citizens.

Before the cautions start flying in.. I would be polite and no I do not live in the town or county in question
    I would also require them to pull his ability to carry, until he demonstrates that he knows ALL of the guns laws in the State. He obviously wants to make up and enforce his OWN carry laws. This clown has no business being a Police Officer.

That officer is going to run upon someone that doesn't like police that try to run the area like it's a police state, with no regard to laws on the books. That's when the officer is going to get shot. We sent over a million men to stop that kind of thing in Germany and Japan. If that officer runs into one of those that served there, he/she is a dead man/woman if he/she tries to enforce a bogus law on one of those veterans.

Arizona is an open carry state ... and now you don't need a permit to carry concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_Engineer View Post
    rayven;

You may try reading this. It may change your opinion about arrest and self defense. What is written here is not State specific.
    Defending the Self-Defense Case

A criminal defense lawyer, who has been involved in defensive shootings has indicated that even a justified shooting will cost you about $20,000 to prove that it was justified self defense (At least in the State of Oregon). A couple of states this would not apply to. I dont believe Pen is one of them.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX B N M

That varies a LOT from State to State. In some states, you MUST retreat, if at all possible. If it can be proven that you didn't, you appear to be a cowboy that was just waiting for an opportunity to shot someone. Then you'll be prosecuted. I don't like theses articles being posted, because they instill fear in lawful citizens that carry lawfully, and give them a false fear that could make them hesitate at the moment they need to be firing that weapon, and thus get them killed.

Everyone carrying a gun with a CWP already knows there are legal implications to carrying and using deadly force. They have evaluated that BEFORE they started carrying, or should have done so.

Another thing I don't like about these articles is the so-called "authority" of them. I have seen articles that are flat wrong. Many articles take decisions out of context and apply them as generalities. I think this article did that. For instance, it stated upfront that the info in the article is generally accepted in most states. Well, it ISN'T, AT ALL! In S.C., for instance, there is no requirement to retreat when faced with imminent danger. You will not, and can not be prosecuted civilly either, if it happens in your home or car. Thank goodness for that law, because the time it takes for you to look for an escape route could vary well be the time it takes your attacker to be on top of you, and kill or maim you.

AZ and NV....very gun friendly....neighboring states would welcome you with open arms.

8. lol, well guess I can conceal carry until I see an officer then take the clip out and open carry.
    jk..

but either way, conceal or open, i'm GOING to defend myself.

9. When did they start letting the police carry guns in California? I never go there, think they would arrest you even if you had a CA permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteman View Post
    When did they start letting the police carry guns in California?
    Not only do the police carry guns; they are allowed to carry UNSAFE guns!
    I never go there, think they would arrest you even if you had a CA permit.
    Some locales, most notably San Francisco, have tried to ignore CCW from other jurisdictions (and make their own laws contravening CA state law); they get their hands slapped regularly but keep doing so anyway.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post

Some locales, most notably San Francisco, have tried to ignore CCW from other jurisdictions (and make their own laws contravening CA state law); they get their hands slapped regularly but keep doing so anyway.
    Same in Maine. I love it when I drve across a town line and see a sign that says "town] has restrictive firearm ordinance." They, of course, don't tell you what the ordinance is. In Portland, it doesn't matter whether you have a permit or that open carry is legal. They will hassle you anyway.
    Curt Lovelace
    Bible believing, gun toting pastor
    Acton, Maine

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast