New CCP holder- interesting discussion I saw.. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New CCP holder- interesting discussion I saw..

Anywhere, they can disarm you if they think it's necessary for their safety. Some think it is necessary all of the time, but most I know of feel the best place for a gun is for it to stay in the holster. Any handling of it at all, especially if the officer is unfamiliar with it can lead to AD's and accidents.

Here, most will never disarm you if it's stopping you for a speeding ticket. You've already proved you are at least generally a good , law-abiding citizen. Some will be very glad you are carrying.....

Then, you may run into one like we had (no longer on the force) who said that he would shoot anyone he saw with a gun and ask questions later..... even if they didn't have it out, didn't point it at anyone, not threatening anyone with it, etc.

They should give you back to you in the same condition it was in when they took it. BUT .... some don't like it and will not care. Way it is.

My wife and I had 2 state troopers over for dinner last night, husband and wife. We're in Idaho, which it's optional whether you tell an LEO if you're carrying during a traffic stop. I asked them if they want to know if the person they have stopped is carrying. They said "absolutely." The issue there is if they need the person to get out of their car and the gun is discovered, then it becomes a different kind of issue. He did say though, that he's not worried about those who have permits to carry, it's the ones that don't. Cops just don't like surprises. He went on to say that there are those (cops) that don't quite know the law and might handle it differently than he would so to be aware of that. Cops will do whatever they feel necessary to feel safe so just comply with whatever they say and you should be fine.

4. Quote Originally Posted by eagleks View Post
    Anywhere, they can disarm you if they think it's necessary for their safety. Some think it is necessary all of the time, but most I know of feel the best place for a gun is for it to stay in the holster. Any handling of it at all, especially if the officer is unfamiliar with it can lead to AD's and accidents.

Here, most will never disarm you if it's stopping you for a speeding ticket. You've already proved you are at least generally a good , law-abiding citizen. Some will be very glad you are carrying.....

Then, you may run into one like we had (no longer on the force) who said that he would shoot anyone he saw with a gun and ask questions later..... even if they didn't have it out, didn't point it at anyone, not threatening anyone with it, etc.

They should give you back to you in the same condition it was in when they took it. BUT .... some don't like it and will not care. Way it is.
    I took it upon myself to call the SCHP and SLED, and ask this same question, and was told that unless the officer has JUSTIFIABLE reasons for disarming a CCP holder, the sidearm is to stay on the CCP's body.

SLED emphasized JUSTIFIABLE, adding that the officer would need to see an anomaly or something else pop up on his screen, or odd/aggressive behavior from the CCP holder before taking the weapon.

He added that with the legal CCP, the owners should have the same rights, respect, and courtesy given to them as is given to the detaining officer.

One Stop and one almost stop.

The stop was with temporary license plate (awaiting vetern plate). I had failed to turn on my tail lights (darkout, but SUV had running lights on). Local city police department. Had wallet out, pulled out paperwork (dropped DL between seat and stick). Told officer I had CHL but was not carrying (going to work). After swearing when I dropped DL, told officer I was going to have to open door and reach under seat to retreive license. Officer took CHL/License ran check, told me to remember to turn my lights on, and sent me on my way.

The almost stop, was on I-5 through Salem. I wasn't watching my speed and was at least 10 over. Coming back from the range, fully armed. State Police vehicle was sitting back on the on ramp with radar. As soon as I passed him he rolled down the on ramp and on to I-5 in back of me. About 45 - 60 seconds later he move to the center lane and then passed me. No stop and no ticket. Don't know if it was because of the Vetern plates or the CHL associated with the tags, or both.

BTW: In Oregon you might not have a CHL but still be carrying a concealed handgun under a couple circumstances:
    1) Going to/from a range.
    2) Going to/from fishing trip (fishing license acts as permit)
    3) Going to/from hunting trip (hunting license acts as permit)

Not required, but hiighly recommend you let them know there is a weapon in the vehicle, makes everything go much easier. (Just my opinion)

6. Just offering a situation: Stopped by an LEO, you identify yourself as having a CCP and produce the proper paperwork.
    LEO orders you out to remove your weapon. He is not familiar with your weapon and shoots himself in the leg. In the excitement he shoots you and claims self defense.

Proof your bullet in his leg. Your word against his.

Next..........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12