S.C. carry question for CWPs
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S.C. carry question for CWPs

S.C. carry question for CWPs

In S.C., we can't carry into restaurants because almost all of them sell alcohol. I have read the law, and it doesn't say the words " anyplace where alcohol is sold for consumption". Does this mean that because grocery stores sell beer and wine, we can't carry in a grocery store?

You can carry in a liquor store if you want. You can carry in any business that sells alcohol as long as they are not licensed to allow drinking on site.

SECTION 16-23-465. Additional penalty for unlawfully carrying pistol or firearm onto premises of business selling alcoholic liquors, beers or wines for on premises consumption.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Most of these laws pertain to bars and places that drinking is the main purpose of the establishment. If a certain percentage of thier business is deticated to alcohol sale and consumption. In some states the laws allows carry in places who do sale alcohol but not as a main source of business. Like a Applebees, or family type establishments that happen to also carry alcohol. But each state has thier own specific laws and you must read them closely. if you are not sure call someone in authority who can make it clear as to what the rules mean.

Mac357 says is about as right as can be said. If you want 100% certainty you do not carry into any restaurant or establishment where alcohol is sold and consumed--then again if you are CC--who knows? My big complaint would be that if there is one time I really want to CC is at 10PM walking back to my car after a nice dinner with wife, but it would be impossible for me to have the firearm if the dining place had facilities for a nice cocktail or wine with my meal. If I should CC on the sly and get in trouble, questions would be asked about my evening activities and then it would be obvious that I had CC in the restaurant and, I assume, I would be in trouble--not so much from police but from a civil suit from the perp. In either case, I would be in trouble if the perp were injured or died--so much for a law that needs refinement.

6. You cannot carry into any restaurant that serves alcohol, nor ANY establishment that serves alcohol on site, period.

You can carry into any establishment that sells alcohol as long as its not able to be consumed on site.

You can also carry in the mall Food Court, even if there are establishments that sell alcohol in the Food Court, a long as you don't walk up to their storefront.

SECTION 16‑23‑465. Additional penalty for unlawfully carrying pistol or firearm into business selling alcoholic liquors, beers or wines for on‑premises consumption.

In addition to the penalties provided for by Sections 16‑11‑330 and 16‑23‑460 and by Article 1 of Chapter 23 of Title 16, a person convicted of carrying a pistol or firearm into a business which sells alcoholic liquor, beer, or wine for consumption on the premises is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than two thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

In addition to the penalties described above, a person who violates this section while carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, must have his concealed weapon permit revoked.

I hate this law because I do not drink alcohol .

8. What about a business like a golf course that has a beer cart driving around the course selling beer and other beverages.

Quote Originally Posted by bigspurr View Post
    i hate this law because i do not drink alcohol .
    amen!

Supposedly, this law is based on whether the establishment has sales of 50% or more of alcohol based on revenue. Still, as a non-drinker, it sux!

Choices, we all have choices. NOT saying I would have wanton neglect for State Laws, but I also will not be in a place that I was killed over my plate of spaghetti unarmed.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast