How many can you carry? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many can you carry?

Quote Originally Posted by lukem View Post
    Gotcha, that's why I asked him if there was anything in the law that he could point me to. Definitely up for interpretation.
    Well like I had said in one of my posts I have emailed the Florida department that issues the license
    they will know if anyone does.
    Clayton

No limits in South Carolina that I can find. I think this is a case of "It depends on what is is".

Being authorized to carry "a concealed weapon" is not the same as being authorized to carry "one concealed weapon". In this case, "a concealed weapon" is a definition, not an enumeration or limit.

I believe we are also authorized to carry a knife concealed when we have a CWP, but the closest I can find in written form is the exemption from procecution if you have a CWP and have a knife in your glove compartment on school grounds (see below).

SECTION 16-23-430. Carrying weapon on school property; concealed weapons. [SC ST SEC 16-23-430]

(A) It shall be unlawful for any person, except state, county, or municipal law enforcement officers or personnel authorized by school officials, to carry on his person, while on any elementary or secondary school property, a knife, with a blade over two inches long, a blackjack, a metal pipe or pole, firearms, or any other type of weapon, device, or object which may be used to inflict bodily injury or death.

(B) This section does not apply to a person who is authorized to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 when the weapon remains inside an attended or locked motor vehicle and is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle.

In practice, I have never heard of any action taken for carrying multiple concealed firearms or any other legal weapons, including knives. Luckily, SC is reasonably sane when it comes to concealed carry.

Well I'm hoping the state of Florida will email me back with a clear cut yes more then 1 or no 1 only.
    All I can do is ask the ones who control it all if anyone knows it should be them.

Sometimes wanting is better than having...

Quote Originally Posted by clay5769 View Post
    Well I'm hoping the state of Florida will email me back with a clear cut yes more then 1 or no 1 only.
    All I can do is ask the ones who control it all if anyone knows it should be them.
    Not necessarily so. The Florida Division of Licensing just dispenses the licensing and enforces the Chapters under their directive, they do not make the law nor try to interpret it beyond the logic of what you can read. Enforcers don't give legal opinions, they just tell you how they see it. If your answer comes from the Attorney General it would hold weight, but very unlikely he will answer back with a legal opinion, but you can ask.

That is why we have judges to decide when lawyers argue points like you are making. If there is case law on this topic to reference, then you will find your answer. If not, it has yet to be a problem large enough to legislate it into law or require a judicial decision be handed down in affirmation.

Sometimes wanting is better than having...As it stands right now, you could possibility argue your point and win in court with Jon as your attorney, as long as you were not convicted of a greater charge like a felony. Be careful you do not awaken a sleeping giant in your search for the definitive answer. In the last 20 years I have been to many PIRSAC meetings held each quarter by the Division of Licensing. They won't tolerate being told they are wrong. They may make an issue of proving it by having some Senator write a bill stating that "only one gun is permitted". Then there would be no defense if written into law by statute.

I would hate to see it become a felony to have more than one "Weapon or Firearm" in your concealed possession at any time. Also, I'm not sure if carrying more than one gun (if legal) doesn't create a "Disparity of Force" should you use your weapon against someone that is carrying only one gun.The fellow with one gun may be justified in shooting you because of the "disparity" that exists should he discover this fact prior to the shooting.

Another good question for lawyers to argue...
    Jim Stephens, LPI, LEFI
    Trusted Armament - 561 282-0777
    Firearms, Training, and Services for Personal Protection

Quote Originally Posted by trustedgunny View Post
    Clay,
    I'm not into continuing this thread as I believe the point in question has been answered.

So what happened?

Like I said what ever the state tells me I will go with that.

Exclamation Just trying to help you.

So what happened?
    Thanks that clears it all up...............
    I guess I could ask the same.

The question you asked the state was already answered by Lukem's email response from the state. Unless you don't believe him either.

To ask the state the same thing again is redundant.

TG
    Jim Stephens, LPI, LEFI
    Trusted Armament - 561 282-0777
    Firearms, Training, and Services for Personal Protection

I guess I could ask the same.

The question you asked the state was already answered by Lukem's email response from the state. Unless you don't believe him either.

To ask the state the same thing again is redundant.

TG
    Well I like to be redundant and I already sent the email a while back should I un-send it
    And I never said I was not going to keep this thread going

Clay,
    How will you explain the need to carry two or three guns when a sworn law enforcement officer only needs one?
    TG
    Every LEO I know, (I know several) carries at least 2 handguns, and most (depending on departmental policy) have a long gun in their service vehicle.

11. 1 1911, 1 642, 1 model 10 then my pants start to do things that no one wants to see.
    An honest mans pillow is his peace of mind.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast