Carrying in a bank - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying in a bank

Quote Originally Posted by Aresye View Post
    Does your credit union happen to be Navy Federal? There's a sign at my local NFCU that looks just like that. Talking to the posted security guard, she informed me that Navy Federal branches are considered a federal building, and therefore, it would be illegal to carry.

She didn't seem to be prejudiced against CCW holders. In fact, she seemed very glad I was a permit holder. Despite that fact I've been digging around online to find information to no avail. Considering it's a credit union for members of the armed forces, the safe thing to assume is that it's a federal building, and not carry until someone can prove otherwise.

On the bright side, there is an armed security guard posted to each NFCU branch I've been to, so at least there's somebody armed there.

I dont see anything saying the NFCU is a federal facility....merely a bank that limits its customer base.

Does your credit union happen to be Navy Federal? There's a sign at my local NFCU that looks just like that. Talking to the posted security guard, she informed me that Navy Federal branches are considered a federal building, and therefore, it would be illegal to carry.

She didn't seem to be prejudiced against CCW holders. In fact, she seemed very glad I was a permit holder. Despite that fact I've been digging around online to find information to no avail. Considering it's a credit union for members of the armed forces, the safe thing to assume is that it's a federal building, and not carry until someone can prove otherwise.

On the bright side, there is an armed security guard posted to each NFCU branch I've been to, so at least there's somebody armed there.
    That's just a sign I linked to that's similar. My credit union is in Nevada -- Silver State Schools Credit Union.

It's amazing how certain people often are of mistaken beliefs.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    I've noticed a sign in the branches of my credit union similar to this:

'No Firearms' signs are not posted.
    My credit union too...I remove all, but leave my pistol on my hip when visiting my credit union. Too many meth and oxy junkies around. They are desperate and keep hitting local banks to support their habit. I don't need a toe tag when I go to visit my credit union, therefore I carry.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    After I completed the collection of the needed information, I told the manager that 1) I am NOT armed, but that 2) I was surprised to see that there was no "no carry" sign on the front door in light of the increased interest in CC in Ohio.

Can anyone comment on whether I am missing something?

Thanks,
    Neal
    Respectfully, Neal, you are missing something. You are part of the PRO-gun crowd now. The PRO-gun crowd typically does not ask business managers why their premises are not posted. Usually the PRO-gun crowd are happy when a premises is not posted so we can carry our guns on their premises.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Respectfully, Neal, you are missing something. You are part of the PRO-gun crowd now. The PRO-gun crowd typically does not ask business managers why their premises are not posted. Usually the PRO-gun crowd are happy when a premises is not posted so we can carry our guns on their premises.
    +1 If it aint broke, dont try to fix it.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Perfectly legal in Arizona, open or concealed, do it all the time.
    Of course! I do that all the time and had no problem with my bank.
    NRA Life Member

8. You can carry in banks in Tennessee unless the bank posts a sign. The loophole to this down here though is that the sign has to be clearly put on all of the main entrances, have a picture of the Internationally recognized symbol of the handgun with the cross through it, and have some semi-complicated legal verbiage on it cited from Tennessee law.

Technically, if the establishment just has a picture of the gun with the cross through it and only says "no guns allowed," you're still allowed to carry there. lol

...d security guard, she informed me that Navy Federal branches are considered a federal building, and therefore, it would be illegal to carry... Considering it's a credit union for members of the armed forces, the safe thing to assume is that it's a federal building, and not carry until someone can prove otherwise.
    This may or may not be a correct assumption of "Federal" status as it relates to Concealed Carry, depending on the location of the facility. Many branches of the so-called "military" credit unions are located in commercial facilities off base and as such, would not fall under the Federal statute. Many others lease the facility from the Federal government on base, and therefore by virtue of that location actually being Federally-owned real estate, would be subject to prohibiition from Concealed Carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    This may or may not be a correct assumption of "Federal" status as it relates to Concealed Carry, depending on the location of the facility. Many branches of the so-called "military" credit unions are located in commercial facilities off base and as such, would not fall under the Federal statute. Many others lease the facility from the Federal government on base, and therefore by virtue of that location actually being Federally-owned real estate, would be subject to prohibiition from Concealed Carry.

I recall reading somewhere...that a military recruiting station in a strip shopping center is still considered a federal facility...

I've also seen those signs about the hats,sunglasses,hoodies at TVA Credit Union! But no Gun sign either! So I wear mine in also.
    We've banked with the same branches for a long while so I truely dought they'd be worried about us! We see them alot on Friday & one will always pop up & ask if were gonna go kill some paper over the week end,,, They all know we carry so does our bank guard!
    Hes even been out with hubby looking at what we have when we are on our way to the range!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast