South Carolina non-resident policy - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: South Carolina non-resident policy

1. SC problem

Thanks to those who have added to this discussion.

Let me use my own case as an example. I live in NJ, a "may issue" state which in practice will not issue to anyone except a retired police office or a professional armed guard. I am neither.

I have several non-resident out-of-state permits: FL, UT, CT. None of these non-resident permits are honored by SC, and they only issue their own SC permits to non-residents who are in the military, or owners of property in SC. So the way I see it, I could get a SC permit only by first buying some property there. To hold down the costs, it should be a small, almost worthless patch, with inconsequential taxes.

It just means that SC is more restrictive for non-residents than many other states with the same color-code on the automated map.

An option is a timeshare condo deal. You just have to show a property tax receipt so be sure the one you get as property taxes separately. Or you could buy one of the rental condos at rock bottom prices right now and rent it out to pay for it and make a few dollars off of it. You just have to own some kind of property where the county lists you as the property owner and bills you for taxes.

As for the otheer question about non-residnt reciprocity, I really don't know how it can be interpreted any other way than you must be a resident of the state where the permit is issued. SC residents can get a NH or PA permit and be covered in GA be the only way for a GA resident to carry is one of the many ways that are available without a SC permit.

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    lol!!! Yeah, he/she probably would, but it ain't a given.<G>

I guess my question is this:

S.C. will not issue, from the State of SC, a non-resident permit to a person that doesn't own property in SC. However, it will honor a permit from other states for which it has reciprocity. Those other state holders, with CCWs from their state, don't own property in SC either, but yet SC will honor their CCW. Therefore, if you get a CCW from a State for which SC has reciprocity, you can carry in SC. Is this not true?
    Sounds true.

SC only honors resident permit. Meaning that, if for instance you hold a permit from a state that SC does not honor and you go get the say, Utah or Florida non-resident permit, the state of SC will not honor it. SC will only only honor resident permit with the states it has reciprocity with. The law does state however that a person that does not hold a valid CCW must have the firearm in a glove compartment or center consol. I know this does not make sense because the firearm will then be concealed but that is the way the law reads.

Quote Originally Posted by Docbnj View Post
    Thanks to those who have added to this discussion.

Let me use my own case as an example. I live in NJ, a "may issue" state which in practice will not issue to anyone except a retired police office or a professional armed guard. I am neither.

I have several non-resident out-of-state permits: FL, UT, CT. None of these non-resident permits are honored by SC, and they only issue their own SC permits to non-residents who are in the military, or owners of property in SC. So the way I see it, I could get a SC permit only by first buying some property there. To hold down the costs, it should be a small, almost worthless patch, with inconsequential taxes.

It just means that SC is more restrictive for non-residents than many other states with the same color-code on the automated map.

Please forgive me for not understanding the problem you are having. I thought there was a way around it by getting a permit in another state that has reciprocity with SC. I guess that doesn't work either, since I guess what tips off an officer in S. C. would be your residence address in your home state, which would be listed on the non-resident CCW of the state that issued it.

I didn't realize you had to own property here to get a CCW. But in checking the CCW map, I found that Florida lists the same wording. But obviously FL grants non-resident permits, which again, leaves me confused on the wording.

The basics of SC handgun carry law. This does not apply to long guns as I can't really find many restrictions on them.

Considering that you are not otherwise prohibited, such as a convicted felon or under the age of 18:

You may carry a handgun with or without a permit:
    In your console, glove box or trunk, tunk being the area behind the rearmost seat of a SUV or similar. The glove box or console does not have to be locked and the gun does not have to be in a locked case in the trunk.
    You can also carry in the saddle bags of a motorcycle.

You may carry openly or concealed:
    On your own property or any other private property with the permission of the property owner. This includes all private property such as a ranch, farm, forest, peach grove etc. Although not defined it is assumed that if you are renting an apartment you are covered as the apartment is your private property while you are living there.

Private property does not necessarly mean a privately owned business that is open to public access such as a strore. However it could be construed to mean a lawyers office or similar where the person owning the business also owns the building and restricts access.

You may carry at your "real place of business" if you are the owner. This means actual physical place of business but does not mean a mobile business such as working out of your car or truck. Employees may carry as long as they have a valid CWP and permission from the owner.

You can carry while hunting or fishing and on the way to hunting or fishing. These are assuming that you have a valid SC hunting or fishing license. On the way is not defined and some take it to mean a lot of things and some define it very restrictive. I would not stop by Wal-Mart on the way to hunting to pick up ammo and try to carry in the store.

You can carry in your motel room that you have paid rent on and while going to and from you car to your room.

With a CPL you can carry concealed anywhere else that is not specifically restricted by law.

I think this is it in a nutshell and I have probably left out some things but am going from memory.

8. What if I am a resident but live with my son and do not pay property tax. Can I still get a concealed carry license?

Quote Originally Posted by winddancr4 View Post
    What if I am a resident but live with my son and do not pay property tax. Can I still get a concealed carry license?
    Since you are asking a, what seems to be, unrelated follow-up question to a 6 year old thread, lets establish a baseline for that question. What exactly seems to be the issue? You are a resident of South Carolina? Have you looked at all at the SLED CWP site?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12