South Carolina non-resident policy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Carolina non-resident policy

1. Unhappy South Carolina non-resident policy

On the USA Carry map, SC is listed as a shall issue state which issues permits to non-residents. Further reading usually mentions that SC will issue to "qualified non-residents."
    However, if you go to the SC state website, you will find just what the qualification is for non-residents. It is not qualification by background check, or by taking an NRA course. SC means by a qualified non-resident this: a non-resident who owns property in South Carolina.
    If you just want the permit, I guess that you could buy some scruffy, weed-covered lot in a low-cost area somewhere in SC. Or you might have a vacation home, or an investment farm. But the usual gun-owner wanting a permit just for vacation, or passing through, will not be considered "qualified."
    I would suggest that the USA Carry map should be changed somehow to show that SC really does not easily issue permits to non-residents.

I don't have a way of showing that exception on the map but is something I'm working on. If you go to the South Carolina state page, it states the exception:

Out Of State Permit Issue:
    The State Law Enforcement Division must issue permits to carry handguns to a person who is a resident of South Carolina, or a non-resident who owns property in South Carolina, or military personnel on permanent change of station orders.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

Quote Originally Posted by Docbnj View Post
    On the USA Carry map, SC is listed as a shall issue state which issues permits to non-residents. Further reading usually mentions that SC will issue to "qualified non-residents."
    However, if you go to the SC state website, you will find just what the qualification is for non-residents. It is not qualification by background check, or by taking an NRA course. SC means by a qualified non-resident this: a non-resident who owns property in South Carolina.
    If you just want the permit, I guess that you could buy some scruffy, weed-covered lot in a low-cost area somewhere in SC. Or you might have a vacation home, or an investment farm. But the usual gun-owner wanting a permit just for vacation, or passing through, will not be considered "qualified."
    I would suggest that the USA Carry map should be changed somehow to show that SC really does not easily issue permits to non-residents.
    It's a moot point anyway. Just get a non-resident permit from a state that includes SC. You get coverage in a bunch of other states at the same time too. Sorry, but that's just griping about something for nothing. There are much better ways to accomplish the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    It's a moot point anyway. Just get a non-resident permit from a state that includes SC. You get coverage in a bunch of other states at the same time too. Sorry, but that's just griping about something for nothing. There are much better ways to accomplish the same thing.
    Except...SC only honors RESIDENT permits for non-residents. So If I, being a PA resident, obtain a FL license, SC will NOT honor it.

Quote Originally Posted by Docbnj View Post
    The qualifer is that you must own property. You do not have to live there which means you would not be a resident of S Carolina. In practice then SC does issue carry permits to non-residents.

You must own and pay property tax on the property to be eligible for a SC non-resident permit.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    You must own and pay property tax on the property to be eligible for a SC non-resident permit.
    I must be missing something here. S.C. has reciprocity with other states. If you get a CCW from another state, does it show on the CCW somewhere that you are a non-resident? That's the only way that anybody asking could tell the difference.

For instance, we have reciprocity with Florida. If a Georgia resident ( we have no reciprocity with Ga) gets a Florida non-resident permit, why wouldn't it be good in S.C. I think it would be. Again, I'm sorry to be so slow on this, but I'm having trouble understanding the problem.

How about this part of the law? Does this not mean that visitors have the right to protect themselves?

"(D) The General Assembly finds that persons residing in or visiting this State have a right to expect to remain unmolested and safe within their homes, businesses, and vehicles. "

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    I must be missing something here. S.C. has reciprocity with other states. If you get a CCW from another state, does it show on the CCW somewhere that you are a non-resident? That's the only way that anybody asking could tell the difference.

For instance, we have reciprocity with Florida. If a Georgia resident ( we have no reciprocity with Ga) gets a Florida non-resident permit, why wouldn't it be good in S.C. I think it would be. Again, I'm sorry to be so slow on this, but I'm having trouble understanding the problem.
    A FL CWL for a GA resident would have a GA address. I think even a South Carolina local-yokel LEO would notice.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    A FL CWL for a GA resident would have a GA address. I think even a South Carolina local-yokel LEO would notice.
    lol!!! Yeah, he/she probably would, but it ain't a given.<G>

I guess my question is this:

S.C. will not issue, from the State of SC, a non-resident permit to a person that doesn't own property in SC. However, it will honor a permit from other states for which it has reciprocity. Those other state holders, with CCWs from their state, don't own property in SC either, but yet SC will honor their CCW. Therefore, if you get a CCW from a State for which SC has reciprocity, you can carry in SC. Is this not true?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast