Post office carry - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Post office carry

1. USE YOUR COMMON SENSE .................."No person may carry firearm either openly or concealed on postal property, PERIOD". Save your ccw license live, and save your money in pocket from a lawyer fees and court fines and jail.

I always leave my firearm in center consoled my car, then go inside the post office. After I come back to my car and re-insert my firearm back into my holster and leaving out from the postal property to the store or my home...that is SIMPLE !
    ~~ RRGlock23

39 CFR 232.1 (CFR = Code of Federal Regulations):

232.1 Conduct on postal property.

(a) Applicability. This section applies to all real property under the charge and control of the Postal Service, to all tenant agencies, and to all persons entering in or on such property. This section shall be posted and kept posted at a conspicuous place on all such property.

(l) Weapons and explosives . Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

(p) Penalties and other law. (1) Alleged violations of these rules and regulations are heard, and the penalties prescribed herein are imposed, either in a Federal district court or by a Federal magistrate in accordance with applicable court rules. Questions regarding such rules should be directed to the regional counsel for the region involved.

(2) Whoever shall be found guilty of violating the rules and regulations in this section while on property under the charge and control of the Postal Service is subject to fine of not more than that allowed under title 18 of the United States Code or imprisonment of not more than 30 days, or both. Nothing contained in these rules and regulations shall be construed to abrogate any other Federal laws or regulations or any State and local laws and regulations applicable to any area in which the property is situated.

(q) Enforcement. (1) Members of the U.S. Postal Service security force shall exercise the powers provided by 18 U.S.C. 3061(c)(2) and shall be responsible for enforcing the regulations in this section in a manner that will protect Postal Service property and persons thereon.

(2) Local postmasters and installation heads may, pursuant to 40 U.S.C. 1315(d)(3) and with the approval of the chief postal inspector or his designee, enter into agreements with State and local enforcement agencies to insure that these rules and regulations are enforced in a manner that will protect Postal Service property.

(3) Postal Inspectors, Office of Inspector General Criminal Investigators, and other persons designated by the Chief Postal Inspector may likewise enforce regulations in this section.

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:
    Last edited by RRGlock23; 05-05-2010 at 01:16 AM. Reason: revised edit
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by RRGlock23 View Post
    USE YOUR COMMON SENSE .................."No person may carry firearm either openly or concealed on postal property, PERIOD". Save your ccw license live, and save your money in pocket from a lawyer fees and court fines and jail.

Thanks I had never seen this regulation before I was going by Florida CCW rules and the post office was not listed..
    Thanks
    Clayton

Post office carry

If you goto the post office and leave you gun in your car you are still breaking the law.

But really who's going to know.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Gary599 View Post
    If you goto the post office and leave you gun in your car you are still breaking the law.

But really who's going to know.
    You are inside the car while you pulled out your gun from the holster and insert it into the center consoled in your car, so no one can see you are armed.

This regulation law is speaking "inside the building", not "parking lot while you are in the car"....Does the word "parking lot " is on the list of federal regulations law?
    NRA Life Member

6. Quote Originally Posted by clay5769 View Post
    Thanks I had never seen this regulation before I was going by Florida CCW rules and the post office was not listed..
    Thanks
    Clayton
    Welcome! Save your ccw ! smile
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by clay5769 View Post
    See I wish it was that cut and dry in Florida there laws on a lot of things are not spelled out like that on some they are but not a lot..

No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
    I find Florida law pretty clear and simple. These are the places you can't carry, everywhere else you can because signs mean nothing and local governments can not create restriction "ordinances" (so when you see a sign saying you can't carry in the local park by ordinance xxz.xxx know that it is not a legal rule and you can most likely challenge it should they ever enforce it against you).

Thanks
    Clayton
    Florida does not have authority over Federal facilities so they are not included in the Florida CCW law, rather you are referred to federal regulation. This is true with all Federal facilities so don't look to state laws for your clarification

8. Quote Originally Posted by RRGlock23 View Post
    You are inside the car while you pulled out your gun from the holster and insert it into the center consoled in your car, so no one can see you are armed.

This regulation law is speaking "inside the building", not "parking lot while you are in the car"....Does the word "parking lot " is on the list of federal regulations law?
    Right here:

(l) Weapons and explosives . Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

Post Office Carry

Hi all I know in Florida you can NOT carry in a state or Federal buildings schools bars stadiums etc, but is a post office considered a federal building?? it does not say post office in Florida laws..
    I am a retired USPS employee and my fiance is a retired Postal Inspector. No guns are allowed in any US Postal Service facility whatsoever. All post offices are required to have a posted sign on their door to that effect. If they do not, then they are not in compliance with postal regulations and this should be brought to the Postmaster's attention.

10. Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Right here:

What is your point of view? "Store the same on postal property,..."

Dictionary : Store means it is like a building housing or business housing AS POSTAL PROPERTY....nothing to do with parking lot and your car....
    NRA Life Member

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RRGlock23 View Post
    USE YOUR COMMON SENSE .................."No person may carry firearm either openly or concealed on postal property, PERIOD". Save your ccw license live, and save your money in pocket from a lawyer fees and court fines and jail.

I always leave my firearm in center consoled my car, then go inside the post office. After I come back to my car and re-insert my firearm back into my holster and leaving out from the postal property to the store or my home...that is SIMPLE !
    ~~ RRGlock23

39 CFR 232.1 (CFR = Code of Federal Regulations):

232.1 Conduct on postal property.

(a) Applicability. This section applies to all real property under the charge and control of the Postal Service, to all tenant agencies, and to all persons entering in or on such property. This section shall be posted and kept posted at a conspicuous place on all such property.

(p) Penalties and other law. (1) Alleged violations of these rules and regulations are heard, and the penalties prescribed herein are imposed, either in a Federal district court or by a Federal magistrate in accordance with applicable court rules. Questions regarding such rules should be directed to the regional counsel for the region involved.

(2) Whoever shall be found guilty of violating the rules and regulations in this section while on property under the charge and control of the Postal Service is subject to fine of not more than that allowed under title 18 of the United States Code or imprisonment of not more than 30 days, or both. Nothing contained in these rules and regulations shall be construed to abrogate any other Federal laws or regulations or any State and local laws and regulations applicable to any area in which the property is situated.

(q) Enforcement. (1) Members of the U.S. Postal Service security force shall exercise the powers provided by 18 U.S.C. 3061(c)(2) and shall be responsible for enforcing the regulations in this section in a manner that will protect Postal Service property and persons thereon.

(2) Local postmasters and installation heads may, pursuant to 40 U.S.C. 1315(d)(3) and with the approval of the chief postal inspector or his designee, enter into agreements with State and local enforcement agencies to insure that these rules and regulations are enforced in a manner that will protect Postal Service property.

(3) Postal Inspectors, Office of Inspector General Criminal Investigators, and other persons designated by the Chief Postal Inspector may likewise enforce regulations in this section.

Did you just confess to the commission of a crime? Locking your firearm in your car while you go inside a post office is illegal unless you park across the street or at a neighboring business and walk unarmed onto postal property.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast