Post office carry - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Post office carry

1. Park across the street and leave your gun in locked...humm I will do that but across the street there is the sign pole says "no parking". I am stuck with it, no choice !
    NRA Life Member

How much longer must this continue?
    YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CARRY A FIREARM INTO A POST OFFICE.
    If you really want to carry a firearm and mail a package at the same time, go to fedex, or UPS.

Quote Originally Posted by RRGlock23 View Post
    Park across the street and leave your gun in locked...humm I will do that but across the street there is the sign pole says "no parking". I am stuck with it, no choice !
    Go find a post office located in a shopping center. Solves the parking issue.

5. Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Go find a post office located in a shopping center. Solves the parking issue.
    I have my PO Box mail in that same location, but if I go to other postal that office is located in a shopping center. I have no PO Box mail there. That's the problem. I had to figure it out and maybe had to leave my firearm at home and go to the postal office for my mail. Oh well.
    NRA Life Member

If you're going to the post office, leave the gun at home,or park your car on the side of the road, or in a parking lot, if available, on the other side of the street.

I don't care how the law seems to be worded as you see it. It's not debatable. If caught, you're going to jail.

7. Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    If you're going to the post office, leave the gun at home,or park your car on the side of the road, or in a parking lot, if available, on the other side of the street.

I don't care how the law seems to be worded as you see it. It's not debatable. If caught, you're going to jail.
    That's what I mentioned! I'm planning to do that.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by eaccents View Post
    Under Federal law, firearms are also restricted in federal facilities. A federal facility means "a building or part thereof owned or leased by the federal government, where federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties." This includes facilities such as post offices and federal courts.
    Understanding that CC in the post office is "verboten", what exactly does this cover?
    Obviously the building itself, but what about the parking lot?
    If say you drive up and exit your vehicle to drop off a Fed Ex package in the box OUTSIDE the building is this ok? Or is outside the building also off limits as well?

Quote Originally Posted by cabrera View Post
    Understanding that CC in the post office is "verboten", what exactly does this cover?
    Obviously the building itself, but what about the parking lot?
    If say you drive up and exit your vehicle to drop off a Fed Ex package in the box OUTSIDE the building is this ok? Or is outside the building also off limits as well?
    As noted in Post #34...postal regulations prohibition includes the parking lot that belongs to the post office.

Parking on the street...or in a shopping center is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffworks View Post
    I can't recall ever seeing a specific sign outside of any USPO in my life. Especially not over the last decade or two.

BTW, the USPS is not a gov't entity, for those who don't know.
    Want to come tell our local Post Offices that? There are two different types of POs. Ones that are on Gov't owned property and ones that are on leased property. Ours have fenced areas and are posted with US Gov't Property signs so they do not need to post a no gun sign.

TITLE 39 > PART I > CHAPTER 1 > 101
    101. Postal policy
    (a) The United States Postal Service shall be operated as a basic and fundamental service provided to the people by the Government of the United States, authorized by the Constitution, created by Act of Congress, and supported by the people. The Postal Service shall have as its basic function the obligation to provide postal services to bind the Nation together through the personal, educational, literary, and business correspondence of the people. It shall provide prompt, reliable, and efficient services to patrons in all areas and shall render postal services to all communities. The costs of establishing and maintaining the Postal Service shall not be apportioned to impair the overall value of such service to the people.
    Which backs up
    Until adoption of the Postal Reorganization Act of 1970, the U.S. Postal Service functioned as a regular, tax-supported, agency of the federal government.

According to the laws under which it now operates, the U.S. Postal Service is a semi-independent federal agency, mandated to be revenue-neutral. That is, it is supposed to break even, not make a profit.
    from The United States Postal Service (USPS). Is it government agency or a private business? It's both.

And from TITLE 39 > PART I > CHAPTER 1 > 201
    There is established, as an independent establishment of the executive branch of the Government of the United States, the United States Postal Service.

YES! The post office is most certainly a federal building, it;s one of the places I stress in my CCW classes NOT to carry into. It would be easy enough especially this time of year with all the shipping of presents for the holidays, to forget and pack into a PO. Not a good idea.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast