Post office carry - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Post office carry

1. Quote Originally Posted by WildBill44 View Post
    ALL Post Offices are off limits to carrying firearms. If you look you will see a sign that says this with an outline of a revolver with a circle around it and a line through it. This just makes it another "Criminals Safety Zone, No Guns Allowed!".
    Who's going to protect you if there's a shooting at the post office and you are standing in line and being a good German by leaving your gun in your vehicle? There's no metal detector at the post office, at least not yet. When this happens I'll think about not bringing my gun inside. For now I'll protect myself and my loved ones the only way I know how. Unless i'm going to the courthouse, my gun stays with me.
    There's lots of signs around, but if you follow all of them you might as well leave your weapon at home...That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas View Post
    Who's going to protect you if there's a shooting at the post office and you are standing in line and being a good German by leaving your gun in your vehicle? There's no metal detector at the post office, at least not yet. When this happens I'll think about not bringing my gun inside. For now I'll protect myself and my loved ones the only way I know how. Unless i'm going to the courthouse, my gun stays with me.
    There's lots of signs around, but if you follow all of them you might as well leave your weapon at home...That's it.
    Absolutely nobody.
    But of course when you do bring it in concealed and use it to defend yourself or others from a nut job who starts shooting up the post office, The U.S. government, in it's infinitesimal wisdom will charge you with possession of a firearm in a federal building, and discharging a firearm, and if they get real antsy about prosecuting you, charge you with assaulting the BG and if a stray shot hits someone maybe accessory to the shooting...and who know what else. WHY...to make an example of you and send a message to all legal gun owners that you WILL follow the rules they make of face dire consequences.

I think I'll just avoid doing business at the USPS!

4. Quote Originally Posted by cabrera View Post
    Absolutely nobody.
    But of course when you do bring it in concealed and use it to defend yourself or others from a nut job who starts shooting up the post office, The U.S. government, in it's infinitesimal wisdom will charge you with possession of a firearm in a federal building, and discharging a firearm, and if they get real antsy about prosecuting you, charge you with assaulting the BG and if a stray shot hits someone maybe accessory to the shooting...and who know what else. WHY...to make an example of you and send a message to all legal gun owners that you WILL follow the rules they make of face dire consequences.
    Perhaps...but I'd much rather take my chances with an attorney in my corner after the smoke clears, then spend the rest of my days rotting away in a box at some cemetery because my Glock 26 felt especially bulky that night.
    Always carry...every day...without exceptions....
    Well, unless it's a police station, Court House, airport or White House....Damn, that's a lot of places....and all of them full of danderous psychos!

I'm curious why you folks park across the street.

I pull up in front of the PO, put my gun in the console, lock both it and the car and go in to do my business...the curb is public parking, not PO property...

Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post

I pull up in front of the PO, put my gun in the console, lock both it and the car and go in to do my business...the curb is public parking, not PO property...
    Many post offices are off the street and have their own private parking lot. There is no street parking.

7. post offices are fed buildings

8. Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post

Not necessarily. From 39 CFR 232.11:

232.1 Conduct on postal property.

(a) Applicability. This section applies to all real property under the charge and control of the Postal Service, to all tenant agencies, and to all persons entering in or on such property. This section shall be posted and kept posted at a conspicuous place on all such property. This section shall not apply to—

(i) Any portions of real property, owned or leased by the Postal Service, that are leased or subleased by the Postal Service to private tenants for their exclusive use;

(ii) With respect to sections 232.1(h)(1) and 232.1(o), sidewalks along the street frontage of postal property falling within the property lines of the Postal Service that are not physically distinguishable from adjacent municipal or other public sidewalks, and any paved areas adjacent to such sidewalks that are not physically distinguishable from such sidewalks.
    Notice, though that the exception bold above does not apply to firearms, which is in (l):

(l) Weapons and explosives . Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.
    For instance, at the post office in my town, the post office has it's own parking lot, and the street curb and the sidewalk curve inwards toward the post office creating extra diagonal parking spaces only in front of the post office. It is curbside parking, but I'll bet you a dollar against a doughnut that those 5 parking spaces are Post Office property.

Our local PO would fail their own requirements. With corrected vision, you can't even read the sign unless standing in front of it and by then you are already the next person to be called to a counter. Sign is 25' inside the door that is inside the PO. Not at either lobby door.

10. Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    Our local PO would fail their own requirements. With corrected vision, you can't even read the sign unless standing in front of it and by then you are already the next person to be called to a counter. Sign is 25' inside the door that is inside the PO. Not at either lobby door.
    See the CFR posted above:
    This section shall be posted and kept posted at a conspicuous place on all such property.
    That is the only requirement for the sign. And there is no defense provided in the regulation if the sign is missing, and no definition of conspicuous, as in the sign being actual readable.

Without reading the entire thread, risking someone else already saying;

I think that ANY organization which has had a "Phrase" coined from it's actions, a song and movie, would incline people to seriously want to carry when in "Their house," for their own safety.

BBC - BBC Two Programmes - Going Postal
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456