Post office carry
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Post office carry

Post office carry

Hi all I know in Florida you can NOT carry in a state or Federal buildings schools bars stadiums etc, but is a post office considered a federal building?? it does not say post office in Florida laws..

ALL Post Offices are off limits to carrying firearms. If you look you will see a sign that says this with an outline of a revolver with a circle around it and a line through it. This just makes it another "Criminals Safety Zone, No Guns Allowed!".

Quote Originally Posted by clay5769 View Post
    Hi all I know in Florida you can NOT carry in a state or Federal buildings schools bars stadiums etc, but is a post office considered a federal building?? it does not say post office in Florida laws..
    clay, this has been covered before. Some say you can, most say you can't. Why don't you contact the postal inspectors and ask them. I leave my carry in the car when doing business at the USPS. It ain't a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    clay, this has been covered before. Some say you can, most say you can't. Why don't you contact the postal inspectors and ask them. I leave my carry in the car when doing business at the USPS. It ain't a big deal.
    Thanks I have never seen any sign on the post office I go to that is why I asked..
    I guess what you said works best better off leaving it in the car rather then take a change and break the law..
    when in doubt leave it out...

I can't recall ever seeing a specific sign outside of any USPO in my life. Especially not over the last decade or two.

BTW, the USPS is not a gov't entity, for those who don't know.
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

Quote Originally Posted by clay5769 View Post
    That question has yet to be answered to my satisfaction. At the post offices I have visited I see the official sign that states it's illegal so... I have a safe box in my truck so if I need to run in I lock it in the safe.

Remember the police can arrest you for any offense they think you may have committed, The judge will be the one to decide if it was right or wrong and will tell them not to do so again if they were in fact in error. So to avoid unnecessary financial and legal hassles avoid the activity that would be questionable or has been posted as being illegal.

Just my 2 pennies..

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by Griffworks View Post
    I can't recall ever seeing a specific sign outside of any USPO in my life. Especially not over the last decade or two.

BTW, the USPS is not a gov't entity, for those who don't know.

Every time I have seen the sign, it was not on the door...it was on a bulletin board inside...so you had to go in just to see a sign saying you can go in....

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Every time I have seen the sign, it was not on the door...it was on a bulletin board inside...so you had to go in just to see a sign saying you can go in....
    None in south west Florida by me... signs saying you can not ship guns and explosives etc..

Concealed carry NOT allowed in USPS buildings

from Michigan State Police web site: MSP - Michigan's Concealed Pistol Law - FAQs

Information for CPL Holders

1. What must a CCW permit holder do when "stopped" by police?

Please See: Encounters with Police.

2. Are there any places where I may not carry a concealed pistol?

MCL 28.425o Anyone licensed to carry a concealed pistol from Michigan or another state shall not carry a concealed pistol in any of the pistol free zones. For a complete list, please see: Pistol Free Areas . Under Federal law, firearms are also restricted in federal facilities. A federal facility means "a building or part thereof owned or leased by the federal government, where federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties." This includes facilities such as post offices and federal courts.

It is a real shame, though, that the USPS is one of the places where carrying concealed is prohibited ... think "going POSTAL...."

See I wish it was that cut and dry in Florida there laws on a lot of things are not spelled out like that on some they are but not a lot..

No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast