Best pocket gun with a safety - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Best pocket gun with a safety

Quote Originally Posted by jsdinTexas View Post
    Whatever you get, may I suggest it is .40 or larger. A 300 lb is about 18" from surface to vital organs - anything smaller than a .40 won't reach 'em. I know, I know, shot placement - Bull !! Not in the middle of the night and half-asleep.
    Sorry dude, but that's funny as chit right there.

Way to may ballistics test out there and free to study that proves that as bunk. Just sayin
    What in tarnations goin on in America these days. Dagnabbit, "CHANGE" what "Change" I say Change it back! I'm clinging to bible and my guns. Try to take either and you're liable to get blasted.

Quote Originally Posted by jsdinTexas View Post
    Whatever you get, may I suggest it is .40 or larger. A 300 lb is about 18" from surface to vital organs - anything smaller than a .40 won't reach 'em. I know, I know, shot placement - Bull !! Not in the middle of the night and half-asleep.
    This is true, but I have done some homemade testing and of the 45, 40, 9mm, and 357 Sig, the 357 went into wet newspaper the furthest

I agree about the .40 cal. I just picked up a Ruger P94 and although it is slightly heftier than a Glock but to me it is worth the extra few ounces. As I have found, a lot of LEOs favor the .40 cal.

I carry XD40 OWB in a blackhawk serpa chambered (yes mostly OC depends on how I dress that day). Also I have a SW99 (40) that I carry IWB decocked and chambered. I choose these based on a couple aspects one and foremost no traditional thumb activated safety. As mentioned before a safety is one more thing to fumble with in a SD situation and I prefer to not. As I was told in my carry class in TN (had to weight on my carry gun) if your weapon has a safety practice with it on and always draw and flip it off. even if you carry with it off all it takes is a bump on something just right to turn it on and then what do you do?

When I first started carrying I wasnt sure about carrying the XD cambered BUT is was I did and worked for ME was cock it and use the cocked indicator to inform me that after a week of carrying and handling that it was still cocked. with my SW99 i chambered it as soon as I shot it for the first time. (I wont carry a gun or ammo that I haven't shot. Either way and what ever gun you get I suggest getting completely comfortable with it and my recommendation is no thumb safety and chambered for a good SD pistol. A holster is your best friend it will keep the gun where you put it and wont allow anything to get to your bang button.
    "The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country." - General Patton

All the different opinions about what cal and gun are fine. I find the 9mm is perfect but there will always be something bigger, faster etc. We could argue that to be sure of stopping the BG we should all carry a A Smith and Wesson .500 cal. However the fact of the matter is that I think we have lost sight of the original question and that is what is the best "pocket pistol". i.e. mouse gun.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

I agree. The question was regarding the mouse gun.

As for the 300lb BG. I doubt it seriously that unless he's a athlete of some kind i.e. (Defensive or offensive linemen) his 300lb mass is more of a liability than an advantage. Not to mention the .40 cal doesn't fair that much better if any, than the 9mm or .45 in controlled ballistics. The chart below indicates the facts behind the calibers and their effective depths reached on average with various calibers. YMMV
    Attachment 573

It's clear that the heavier rounds in any caliber will penetrate deeper than the lighter ones, even at a slower FPS.
    What in tarnations goin on in America these days. Dagnabbit, "CHANGE" what "Change" I say Change it back! I'm clinging to bible and my guns. Try to take either and you're liable to get blasted.

Pocket pistol, I stand corrected, sorta!

Yes, I and others drifted off slightly, but as far as the "pocket pistol", I will just stick with the recent aquisition; a Taurus .327 w/ 2" barrel. Now some LEOs use an ultral light and put it in a ankle holster. I prefer the .327 which is akin to 32 Mag. It may not be much at a great distance, but up close and personable, it can scare the bejesus out of you. Since I usually carry two, the other one is carried inside the pants is the .40 Ruger.
    w/hollow point loads. "To each their own"....hangman

My choice is a PT 709 which is also used as a back up.
    Raul In Sunny Tavernier, The Florida Keys.
    Glock: Feed it dirt, it'll still work.
    CWFL. Speak softly and carry concealed!

My favorite carry guns are my PT709SS in a Don Hume JIT Holster & loaded with Federal Premium HydraShok 9mm JHP's. My favorite BUG is my TCP .380 in a KNJ Pocket Holster loaded with Winchester PDX1 JHP rds. As for safeties? My 709 has a Slide safety, but like the LCP, my TCP doesn't.( The best safety with any pistol is to keep your finger off the trigger until your ready to use it anyway).
    MSgt, USAF (ret), Life Member - NRA, Life Member - NAHC,
    Life Member - NCOA, Member - USCCA, Member - NCGR,
    Member - Oathkeepers

Try this...

1) Unload a Kel-Tec P-3AT.
    2) Check again to make sure it's empty.
    3) Repeat step 2...
    4) Put it in a pocket holster (Uncle Mike's No. 1 is what I use)
    5) Attempt to pull the trigger any way you can without unholstering....

You can't do it. Period. No external safety required.

In a Mike's No 1, it looks like a wallet in your pocket. My holster is modified to carry an extra mag in the "wing".

Enjoy...

Jeff

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast