Best pocket gun with a safety - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Best pocket gun with a safety

The only truly pocket gun that I own at present is the Beretta Tomcat.. It does have an external safety where as most other guns I own do not. It is a pretty good gun but it can be a little finicky on the brand of ammo I use.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

When I went looking for a carry gun I also wanted one with an external safety. I ended up with a Taurus PT111 3rd generation Millennium Pro and I am satisfied with my selection. With sufficient training you can become proficient in lowering the safety as you draw to the point were it becomes muscle memory. The small movement required to complete this action will not delay your draw time. I carry condition 1 and I feel completely safe.

Here is something else to think about. The safety adds a proprietary element to your firearm. In a study of police shooting where police officers have been shot with their own weapons having the safety on has added 14 seconds to the time the officer has to respond. The assailant was not familiar with the hand gun and could not fire it. 14 seconds is a lot of time when you are fighting for your life.

If you want a safety then go for it. Do not let someone talk you out of what you feel comfortable with. When the time comes it will be you, not another forum poster, who will have to account for what and how you carry.
    The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppose. - Frederick Douglass

I've have a Sig P238 for pocket carry during t-shirts and shorts weather. Sig seems to have resolved its issues with early production P238s. So I'm no longer reluctant to recommend the gun. But I'm not completely sold on the .380 as a defense round. Nevertheless, the P238 is a soft shooter that naturally points well. For pocket carry, I'm using a Harpoon model pocket holster from Pocket Concealment Systems. Excellent craftsmanship.

Pocket Concealment Systems, Inc.: Harpoon

5. I have to agree with the folks who would prefer a 9mm to a .380, both for stopping power and ammo availability. Unfortunately, I haven't found any guns in 9mm that are as small as the LCP/TCP/P3AT. I had been looking at the Kel-Tec PF9 and P11, but I'm not sure how well they'd fit in a pocket. Anyone have experience with either of those?

The other one that has caught my attention recently is the Ruger SR9C, but again I need to go handle one and see if it'll fit in the pocket.

Ruger lcp

I also carry an LCP in the summer. As long as the trigger pull is on this gun, you would have to WANT to shoot yourself.

handgonnetoter Guest
    Thinking of getting either a Kel Tec PF-9, P3AT, or Taurus 709 tomorrow. Which one would you guys rather have as a primary carry gun? I have a slight sciatic problem in my back, so I need something different to carry because of pain. I would either carry in the pants pocket or ankle. All opinions will be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceFrank View Post
    I have to agree with the folks who would prefer a 9mm to a .380, both for stopping power and ammo availability. Unfortunately, I haven't found any guns in 9mm that are as small as the LCP/TCP/P3AT. I had been looking at the Kel-Tec PF9 and P11, but I'm not sure how well they'd fit in a pocket. Anyone have experience with either of those?

The other one that has caught my attention recently is the Ruger SR9C, but again I need to go handle one and see if it'll fit in the pocket.
    Frank, take a look at the Taurus PT-709 its fairly small for a 9mm, conceals well, does not seem to be touchy to differant ammo, and a much better feeling weapon to shoot than a Keltech,

The best and original point and shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
    Think revolver. The safety is located between your ears.
    Exactly!

No safety, no slide.
    The best and original point and shoot.

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceFrank View Post
    I have to agree with the folks who would prefer a 9mm to a .380, both for stopping power and ammo availability. Unfortunately, I haven't found any guns in 9mm that are as small as the LCP/TCP/P3AT. I had been looking at the Kel-Tec PF9 and P11, but I'm not sure how well they'd fit in a pocket. Anyone have experience with either of those?

Take a look at the Kahr CW9 also, It's pretty small and mine has been quite reliable.

I agree that a safety is not necessary.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345