Best pocket gun with a safety
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best pocket gun with a safety

1. Best pocket gun with a safety

I have a Kimber 45 ultra carry that is my main carry gun, but sometimes it is a little large for carrying in the summer with shorts and a T shirt. I am thinking of picking up a Keltec or Ruger 380 pocket gun, but I am a little uneasy about their not having a safety. I would be interested in feedback on the smallest pocket gun you can get with a safety, or input on why I should not be uneasy about carrying a model that does not have a safety.

Thanks,

Neal

I have a Ruger LCP with a Crimson laserguard. Very accurate little gun. I also have a Ruger LCR and the Crimson laser is sitting on my desk waiting to be installed. It's just a bit larger then the LCP. Both easy to carry.

4. I definitely recommend learning to get comfortable with carrying without a safety. Way to many stories of people, even experienced people, forgetting about the safety in the panic of a self defense situation. Just recently saw a video of Jewerly store owner getting shot over and over again in a robbery attempt. He had a gun and drew it but forgot about the safety which he left on and wasn't able to shoot back. It's a miracle that he survived.

Carry the gun around the house a little at a time. That's what I did. Surprising how fast you get used to it.

My apologies for not paying attention. The two guns I mentioned do not have a safety. They do have a heavy enough trigger pull so that it would be hard to activate by accident. The LCR is hammerless which is the way to go for a pocket revolver.

wolfhunter Guest
    The Keltec and the LCP have fairly long trigger pulls, while not a safety, this helps minimize the chance of an accidental trigger pull caused by something other than your finger getting inside the trigger guard.

7. I hear what you are saying, but I would have to think that in a panic that there would be a real change for an unintentional discharge when you grab for the gun to get it out of your pocket.

Neal

8. Think revolver. The safety is located between your ears.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    I hear what you are saying, but I would have to think that in a panic that there would be a real change for an unintentional discharge when you grab for the gun to get it out of your pocket.

Neal
    if im in a panic situation i dont want to have to fumble with no safety....pull trigger...goes bang...thats just my opinion though...i have ruger lcp, carry it every day all day (in a small uncle mikes holster) dont even no its there most of the time...i am an auto tech 20 + yrs . on a daily basis I'm in every imaginable position known to man including upside down standing on head in floorboards under a dash. I haven't had any hiccups yet ! hope i don't either !

Mike

Neal, I am fairly new to carrying too, but I don't use a safety on any of my guns. If it is in a proper holster and you ALWAYS practice safe handling, including not putting your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire, you should be good to go. I don't want to have to remember the safety if the smelly stuff hits the fan...

The few autos that I own that have a safety I never use. My HK and Glock that I carry and use most often have no safety. If I have to pick up another gun to use I want it to function the same as the others so the safety is not used.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast