Appendix carry...do you recommend it? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Appendix carry...do you recommend it?

1. M&J, there are many accidental discharges every year. In almost every case it involves a safety in the fire position and a finger on the trigger. I find your statements pure hyperbole. In my post I only mentioned what has worked for "me". Yet you insist on painting me as a careless and dangerous individual. Feel free to express yourself but you need to refrain from personal attacks! nh

Quote Originally Posted by nhcruffler View Post
    M&J, there are many accidental discharges every year. In almost every case it involves a safety in the fire position and a finger on the trigger. I find your statements pure hyperbole. In my post I only mentioned what has worked for "me". Yet you insist on painting me as a careless and dangerous individual. Feel free to express yourself but you need to refrain from personal attacks! nh
    And this is where we will differ one more time an accidental discharge does not happen when the safety is off or the trigger is pulled that would be classified as a negligent discharge. I am sorry if you feel I am "attacking" you but I do feel strongly about certain actions and am stating my feelings and beliefs rather right or wrong.
    "The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country." - General Patton

M&J, there are many accidental discharges every year. In almost every case it involves a safety in the fire position and a finger on the trigger. I find your statements pure hyperbole. In my post I only mentioned what has worked for "me". Yet you insist on painting me as a careless and dangerous individual. Feel free to express yourself but you need to refrain from personal attacks! nh
    Personal attacks on USA CARRY? say it isn't so.

M&J, if nhcruffler wishes to carry this way, carry that way, or carry a tune, carry him over, it is his concern, not yours.
    Personally, I wouldn't carry appendix style.
    I value my very handsome, rugged, large, and manly man parts.

Pistol packing style is up to the individual.
    How nhcruffler carries is his personal issue.

Next we are going to hear about how to part our hair.

Cut it short and you won't have to worry about how you part it - the point'll be moot.

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

There was an article about this very subject in a last months issue of a popular reloading flyer/ magazine ( think Blue ) . The writer said he would never carry a 1911 style pistol like that , or any other gun on a regular basis. Now , we all realize that writers get paid to try to sell you something. That said, I have to say that 99 % of the time that is exactly how I carry my Rock Island 1911. It offers "me" the most conceal-ability and ease of draw. In over three years I have yet to find the thumb safety knocked into the fire position. I am not trying to knock any holsters and still looking at trying ,yet another, holster that works for me. In the mean time I will just go holsterless. nh
    Count me out on your discussion with M&J, please.

But, since you say that you carry without a holster because you haven't found one that you like, might I suggest the following:

It is called a Sleeping Dog Belt Holster, and it runs about $25 from JBP Holsters / Holsterama Home Page. It is as close to "nothing" as I have found. You might like it for IWB because it will cover the trigger/trigger guard, keep the gun securely attached to your pants with very little re-adjustment throughout the day (the clip is awesome), and it easy on/off.

7. I was skeptical of appendix carry until I tried it. It is safe, reasonably comfortable, conceals well for me and is by far faster from holster to deployment than any other carry arrangement. Try it before you knock it.

Here's a link from the Alabama Holster Co.; while the do offer appendix holsters, that's not the only line. I'm not hyping the product since I don't own one, just trying to add to the OP:

Centerline Carry Alabama Holster Company - Concealment Products That "Just Plian Work"

appendix carry is the BEST option IMO. great concealability, comfortable in all situations, fastest presentation of any carry position...the big thing with appendix carry is the holster, i prefer kydex for keeping it's shape, postive engagement (click) of the gun in the holster, and good retention. in regards to man parts and femoral arteries, keep your gun maintained and in a holster that covers the trigger. in regards to the "heated debate" above, i'm in the camp of "there's no such thing as an accidental discharge", it's either neglegent or it didn't go off (guns don't fire themselves). while i'm not personally a fan of holsterless carry, there's a reason there are hundreds/thousands of different kinds/types of holsters, different things work for different people...the most important thing is that whatever a person does, i hope it's safe
    Never had to use my gun, never want to use my gun, will not hesitate to use my gun.

Appendix carry

Quote Originally Posted by xzeler8 View Post
    appendix carry is the BEST option IMO. great concealability, comfortable in all situations, fastest presentation of any carry position...the big thing with appendix carry is the holster, i prefer kydex for keeping it's shape, postive engagement (click) of the gun in the holster, and good retention. in regards to man parts and femoral arteries, keep your gun maintained and in a holster that covers the trigger. in regards to the "heated debate" above, i'm in the camp of "there's no such thing as an accidental discharge", it's either neglegent or it didn't go off (guns don't fire themselves). while i'm not personally a fan of holsterless carry, there's a reason there are hundreds/thousands of different kinds/types of holsters, different things work for different people...the most important thing is that whatever a person does, i hope it's safe
    All excellent points, xzeler8.

As the person who made the femoral artery comment, I have to say that your comments as well as the article found here make some very persuasive arguments for appendix position carry. Front Sight, Press Blog Archive Centerline Carry

For me and my body type, appendix position doesn't work--it is reasonably comfortable, but I seem to have a bulge where I shouldn't no matter what I do....

Quote Originally Posted by redstategunnut View Post
    I was skeptical of appendix carry until I tried it. It is safe, reasonably comfortable, conceals well for me and is by far faster from holster to deployment than any other carry arrangement. Try it before you knock it.
    As far as speed of deployment, do you know this for a fact? I've been extensively trained that strong side OWB is the way to go. As such, as soon as my sidearm clears the holster, the shooting end is rotated up and is now pointing at the BG and ready to go. I can start pulling the trigger immediately, if necessary. Seems to me, in appendix carry, you need to clear the holster and rotate twice (bring the barrel up where it's pointed to the side, and then rotate it to point forward) to get on the BG.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast