New CPL holder. A few Questions - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New CPL holder. A few Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    Thank you all so much for the kind comments. I should clarify, I was not still at the Court House when I pulled my weapon out of the trunk, too many cops lol, I was pretty much at a dead end within the Flint area, weapon was in its box [as Michigan law sates it should be when transporting a firearm without a cpl. I sat back in my car [friend Eric was with me] and then put it on my hip. Ive seen enough youtube videos with Kimberguy to know having an exposed weapon is not a good idea unless I absolutely need it.
    I guess Im not the only one feeling like all eyes were on me, I guess its just a common thing. Again, thank you all so much =] Any advice from veteran ccw carriers would be amazing. What is the best holster to use for the S&W M&P 40?
    For holster advice like a gun, try some and see what you like. For OWB (outside waist band) try the DeSantis catalog. I have 3 and will keep going back for more. Price is reasonable. They fit both belt and gun well.
    For IWB (inside waist band) try the CrossBreed SuperTuck. I carry both my M&Ps (45 full size and .40 compact) in one. Comfort and fit is great, quality is great, Worth the $70.00...

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

wolfhunter Guest
    <snipped>
    I should also address the issue that my pistol has a safety on it. Im thinking of having a black smith remove it, simply because with my Galco concealed holster, the safety is forced off with a groove, I noticed that and since then quit carrying with a hot round in the chamber. Im just a little afraid that Ill end up shooting myself in the ass, or end up misfiring.<snipped>.
    Congratulations on deciding to be responsible for your own safety and well being.

Now that I've said that, I must raise a concern. You need to get the CORRECT holster for your gun. The correct holster will NOT disengage the safety when you holster your weapon. If you have the holster listed for your model handgun, please talk to your local gun store owner. Something is not right with the scenario you describe.

4. Smile

Just got my license to carry here in the state of Michigan a couple of days ago. Now, the day I received my license I was of course a little nervous when carrying. I literally went right out to my car, got my S&W M and P 40 out of the trunk, put a magazine into it, and put it in my concealed holster.
    I have a full size s&w but I tend to wear shirts that come just below my belt line, is it considered brandishing if the pistol grip is showing? Are there any laws against printing in Michigan? I havent been able to get any of those answers, and when I ask the police, they tend to go on some rant about I should only carry it when I think Im going to need it, or theyll go on some long discussion and I get lost somewhere in the mix...
    I should also address the issue that my pistol has a safety on it. Im thinking of having a black smith remove it, simply because with my Galco concealed holster, the safety is forced off with a groove, I noticed that and since then quit carrying with a hot round in the chamber. Im just a little afraid that Ill end up shooting myself in the ass, or end up misfiring. Is it legal to Open Carry with a CPL?
    Ive got plenty of experience with handling firearms. Im with the Michigan Army National Guard, but still Im just a bit nervous.
    Is it normal to constantly think of scenarios where Id be forced to pull my gun on someone? I more less try to think of ways NOT to pull my firearm, I guess I just second guess myself, would it be legal to pull a firearm on, say 2 people stopping their vehicle for what ever reason and approaching you in a manner and you believe they are going to cause bodily harm?

Anyhow, I dont want to sound like an immature "kid" just a bit more aware of the possibilities now that Im legal to carry.
    Hey congrats!!! I feel most folks new to CCW feel like you do. I did for a while. In fact,I still smooth out my shirt over my holster when i get out of my jeep. However,I keep the door open,and use the vehicle to shield my movement and prevent anyone from possibly seeing what I am doing. Have you gone for what alot of CCW'ers call a "wally-walk"? I feel that can go along way to improve one's confidence in CCW. Just gather up your wife or girlfriend (even go alone!),and take a little shopping trip through your local discount retailer,most of the time wal-mart. Another point,"dress to the gun". Maybe you need to buy your shirts a size bigger. In cooler weather,it's not an issue,you'd likely have on a coat,or jacket. However,in hot weather,a button down shirt,untucked,works well for me here in VA. If you wear an IWB holster,you might want your trousers a size bigger too,to allow for extra width from gun and holster. Anyway,read,learn as much as you can. Be open to new ideas,and most of all....STAY SAFE!!!!

I would definitely leave the safety alone. The last thing you ever want is to be in a position where, if you had to use your weapon in a self defense situation and were sued civilly, a lawyer would paint you as someone who knowingly altered a gun's safety, thereby making it easier to use to kill someone. They went over issues like this in our training, even to the point of how some attorneys or DA's would even go after you for using a hollow point bullet. Just my 2 cents.

6. I must play Devils A.

First thing, use deadly force first, not last.

If you are scared to carry, then dont.

Cops respect CPL's here in MI.

IF you have to open your trunk to , its to late.

Concealed means concealed, hide the gun [ON YOUR PERSON OR WHEN DRIVING COVERED, NOT ON THE DASHBOARD]

GOD man, why are you carrying?

Where did you train to get your permit?

I wouldnt want to be part of your family relying on you for protection against felons.

Pathectic. sorry.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    Just got my license to carry here in the state of Michigan a couple of days ago. Now, the day I received my license I was of course a little nervous when carrying. I literally went right out to my car, got my S&W M and P 40 out of the trunk, put a magazine into it, and put it in my concealed holster.
    I have a full size s&w but I tend to wear shirts that come just below my belt line, is it considered brandishing if the pistol grip is showing? Are there any laws against printing in Michigan? I havent been able to get any of those answers, and when I ask the police, they tend to go on some rant about I should only carry it when I think Im going to need it, or theyll go on some long discussion and I get lost somewhere in the mix...
    I should also address the issue that my pistol has a safety on it. Im thinking of having a black smith remove it, simply because with my Galco concealed holster, the safety is forced off with a groove, I noticed that and since then quit carrying with a hot round in the chamber. Im just a little afraid that Ill end up shooting myself in the ass, or end up misfiring. Is it legal to Open Carry with a CPL?
    Ive got plenty of experience with handling firearms. Im with the Michigan Army National Guard, but still Im just a bit nervous.
    Is it normal to constantly think of scenarios where Id be forced to pull my gun on someone? I more less try to think of ways NOT to pull my firearm, I guess I just second guess myself, would it be legal to pull a firearm on, say 2 people stopping their vehicle for what ever reason and approaching you in a manner and you believe they are going to cause bodily harm?

Anyhow, I dont want to sound like an immature "kid" just a bit more aware of the possibilities now that Im legal to carry.
    Yup... Congratulations on your permit. Being from MI also I hope I can help with MI laws.
    No, jusy someone seeing your gun is not brandishing. Basicaly you have to threaten someone with it.
    Also, no law against printing. In fact, open carry is legal and with a CPL, you can even carry in most gun free zones.
    I suggest you go to MGO Community Forum - Powered by vBulletin and just spend a week or so reading.
    You can also check out Michigan - Stories From The States - OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum .
    I personaly don't worry about it anymore, I both open and conceal carry with no problems.
    You'll find that most people don't even notice even when open carrying.

welcome to the wonderful world of carrying GUNS. dont worry it will get more natural feeling. in the meantime go over a lot of the good info on this site. enjoy!
    "You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."

Quote Originally Posted by micpl View Post
    I must play Devils A.

Concealed means concealed, hide the gun [ON YOUR PERSON OR WHEN DRIVING COVERED, NOT ON THE DASHBOARD]

I wouldnt want to be part of your family relying on you for protection against felons.

Pathectic. sorry.
    wow, could we be anymore rude?
    "You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."

Quote Originally Posted by micpl View Post
    I must play Devils A.

Pathectic. sorry.

POGO IS ANGRY WITH YOU.
    Micpl,
    The OP is new. No reason to beat him. You know better then that.

Eh, not worried about micpl had no advice what so ever, more than likely just some kid looking to pick on someone...This isnt the craigslist rants and raves, have some respect dude.
    Either way, I want to thank you all for the advice, since Ive started on this site Ive pretty much forgotten that I even carry concealed at all. I open carry around the Apartment complex every so often, to try and get the feel for it in case I ever feel like OC.
    Leader, thank you for the website, I think Ill hit that link and check it out, reading and getting familiar with things never hurts.
    Im going to get in touch with my CPL instructor and see about taking some of the other classes he offers.
    Again, thank you all.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast