New CPL holder. A few Questions - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New CPL holder. A few Questions

1. I have a question? I am a Virginia Resident and I have a Concealed carry permit in VA am I aloud to drive on to a VA state prison to drop someone off so they can go see someone.

3. As I read the provisions I don't think you can take the wepon on any prison property.
    Last edited by lefty123; 07-15-2010 at 09:35 PM. Reason: spelling error

Congrats! I see that since this thread started you are already feeling comfortable carrying. That way for all of us I imagine. If I'm without my LCP for a day it sure feels funny, like I lost my cellphone.

+1 on getting the correct holster.

To me, safety off = no problem on that gun, since it is double action, but you should have a holster that allows you to use the safety properly and as desired.

MICPL was pretty harsh. You handled that well. You never said you were unsafe, just skittish about carrying your weapon and safety conscious. I say timid or confident, everyone who can be properly trained has a right to carry. Time has a wonderful way of instilling confidence.

Just consider why you have a CPL.
    1. You can carry it in your vehicle.
    2. You are ALLOWED to carry concealed... eg you don't have to open carry when you do.

That second part is important. You have been given permission by LE to carry concealed. The reason you do so is to avoid alarming people around you.

That said, if your firearm shows accidentally, Michigan has no law against open carry except in pistol free zones. If you take reasonable precautions to keep your pistol concealed, you should have no legal trouble, even if someone happens to see it due to the allowed open carry.

With a small pistol, it is very easy to conceal with iwb holsters. You can ALMOST conceal an iwb with a tucked in shirt. You should take reasonable precautions if your goal truly is to avoid alarming others around you.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49417 View Post
    Just consider why you have a CPL.
    1. You can carry it in your vehicle.
    2. You are ALLOWED to carry concealed... eg you don't have to open carry when you do.

That second part is important. You have been given permission by LE to carry concealed. The reason you do so is to avoid alarming people around you.

That said, if your firearm shows accidentally, Michigan has no law against open carry except in pistol free zones. If you take reasonable precautions to keep your pistol concealed, you should have no legal trouble, even if someone happens to see it due to the allowed open carry.

With a small pistol, it is very easy to conceal with iwb holsters. You can ALMOST conceal an iwb with a tucked in shirt. You should take reasonable precautions if your goal truly is to avoid alarming others around you.

You realize this is from 2010? The OP's last login was on 01-23-2012 at 01:48am (7 months ago) odds are he doesn't even continue to carry. As to the above bolded portion of your post ..... Michigan isn't Russia, PERMISSION does not come from the Police.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post

POGO IS ANGRY WITH YOU.
    Micpl,
    The OP is new. No reason to beat him. You know better then that.
    Sorry, can't pass this up.

"What a nice clown... Bet he just loves children!"

Hello from a fellow Michigander.

Lot of good info here, here's another link: MCRGO - Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners
    Super resource for legislation in Michigan.

I'll leave you with 2 words of advice:

1). Try to verify everything you hear concerning laws. The MCRGO site can help you find the statutes referring to guns in Michigan. I suggest you at least attempt to read them and compare what you've read with whatever your sister's brother's cousin who knows a state trooper said was legal.
    I'm not a lawyer and reading the laws can be tough going. The important part of this is that even a lawyer has to guess about what would happen in a particular situation.
    The law will be interpreted by a judge/jury and prosecutor. Will your sister's brother's cousin be there in handcuffs with you?

2). It's important to know when you can legally draw and fire. Even more important to be able to articulate your reasoning. Do a lot of reading and think through as many scenarios as possible. I've been surprised about the real life situations I've read about here and how they "should" have been handled. You can land yourself in a whole lot of trouble if you screw this up.

Here's a link to a google search I did: "Ability, Opportunity, Jeopardy Mas Ayoob:
    Abliity, Opportunity, Jeopardy Mas Ayoob This should get you to some solid reasoning when it's OK to draw and fire.

Welcome aboard!
    Last edited by GlockOclock; 08-29-2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: edited to fix link

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123