5 Point Check List:

Thread: 5 Point Check List:

wolfhunter Guest

Post 5 Point Check List:

This is a repost I saved from this forum, but it's good info:

1) Immediately point to the perpetrator and state "Officer, that man attacked me, I was in fear of my life and I was forced to defend myself!"

2) Then state "I will sign a criminal complaint against him."

This tells the LEO's, by your willingness to sign a legal complaint against the guy for attacking you, that you are probably in fact the victim and not the guy bleeding on the ground who is in fact doing a pretty good impression of a victim.

(After all, almost exclusively when LEO's respond to shootings, it is the guy bleeding on the ground who is the victim. Most shootings do not involved CCW holders, who are the good guys.)

3) Then point to any evidence you have found before the LEO's have arrived such as a knife, a gun, spent brass from his gun, a ball bat and say to officers "Evidence is here, here, here and here" as you point it out to the LEO's.

(This ensures that evidence is noted by responding officers, spent shell casing don't vanish and that all evidence is preserved.)

4) If any witnesses have stayed around long enough for the police to arrive, they may not stay around long once police get there, or volunteer to come forward on their own. So say, "Officer, the witnesses are here, and here and over there." and point them out to LEO's before they have a chance to leave.

(Having their statements affirming the fact that you said, "Stop, leave me alone, don't hurt me" or anything else can be helpful to your case but may be lost if they are allowed to leave the scene because you wanted to assert your right to remain silent.)

5) Finally say to the LEO's "Officer, I realize how serious this situation is and I will cooperate fully once I've had 24 hours to consult with my attorney!" And then clam up and keep your mouth shut! If they press you further, inform them that you've just been through a traumatic experience and again, you would like to speak with your attorney first and assure them they will have your full cooperation.

Seems pretty logical to me. Good stuff.

And please do not turn toward the officer with your firearm when he arrives.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    And please do not turn toward the officer with your firearm when he arrives.
    Like 901-Memphis said, Seems logical to me.

Just like when you get pulled over ..... You might want to let him know you have a gun but there is a big difference between....

"Good evening officer, i just wanted to let ya know i got a gun"

And

"Good evening officer, i just wanted to inform you that i have a valid CCDW Permit and i am currently armed"

A couple of other tips for those of you who have to tell the officer in your state if you are carrying (Like Ohio) and for those of you who choose to even if you don't have to.

Very good information
    -Austin

Quote Originally Posted by 901-Memphis View Post
    Just like when you get pulled over ..... You might want to let him know you have a gun but there is a big difference between....

"Good evening officer, i just wanted to let ya know i got a gun"

And

"Good evening officer, i just wanted to inform you that i have a valid CCDW Permit and i am currently armed"

A couple of other tips for those of you who have to tell the officer in your state if you are carrying (Like Ohio) and for those of you who choose to even if you don't have to.
    My Uncle (state police captain) told a story about a guy who decided to play show then tell with the gun he was carrying. My Uncle nearly broke the guys cheekbone with the barrel of his service revolver.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Lucky he didn't get shot pulling out a gun at a cop who was stopping him. Would have been interesting to be the passenger in that traffic stop.

Quote Originally Posted by 901-Memphis View Post
    Lucky he didn't get shot pulling out a gun at a cop who was stopping him. Would have been interesting to be the passenger in that traffic stop.
    The guy in the car never removed it from the holster. He moved his jacket back (under arm style holster) and used his right hand to point to it. That's all he managed to get done.

My Uncle was quick from what my cousins have said. I never had the pleasure to shoot with him. They packed up and moved to Florida around 1980-81 the divorce came soon after that.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..