Need a good but not expensive belt - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need a good but not expensive belt

1. I find the nylon belts less comfortable than leather but they do hold up well to holster wear. I've also found that Kydex holsters may damage the leather belts. I bought a couple of economical Bianchi leather belts and found them to be crappy, made in Mexico junk. If you go with that brand don't go cheap. Triple K belts have held up well for my uses. Consider the belt loops on your preferred pants. Many of the yuppie jeans have narrow loops as opposed to the work/real cowboy jeans. My working attire always includes a knife pouch and pouch for 5" vise grips plus a holster unless I'm using a shoulder rig or separate belt so the belt does get quite a bit of pulling and tugging.

The Uncle Mikes belt seems like it will do for now until i can drop some serious money on a real leather belt.

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eaccents View Post
    I started with a regular 1.75" nylon belt. It fit the holsters well, and I cinched up the belt nice and tight and it was comfortable. About a month later I noticed that when I took the belt off, it had a curve where the gun rides--apparently the belt was stretching due to the combination of cinching the belt up tight to keep it still vs. the weight of my gun (stainless model).

I switched to a 3x stitched 1.75" nylon belt (like the Instructor's style) by the same maker of the my first belt and it WORKS GREAT. I don't have to cinch the belt up so snugly, and the stiffness of the belt holds my gun in place all by itself. I have had this belt for 3 mos now, and no apparent stretching.

I highly recommend the nylon 3-5 stitch belts--they are plenty stiff (yet comfortable), and most cost less than $25.

If you are getting one with velcro fasteners, make sure you size it correctly or the velcro will be in the wrong place.

By the way, in lieu of velcro, the cheapest "belt keeper" is a small size binder clip
    Did you have to order it or bought it retail at a gun shop?

Nylon gun belt

Quote Originally Posted by handgonnetoter View Post
    Did you have to order it or bought it retail at a gun shop?
    The "belt keeper" (aka binder clip) or the belts?

My belt keeper/binder clip is just this:

They can be found in ANY office supply store. It works great at keeping the tip of the belt from flapping around.

The belts are made by Bison Designs. They make regular nylon web belts of good quality (which I found in a local retail store that sells quality, practical clothing). They also make the heavy duty belts that are triple stitched, which are stiff enough for my purposes. I got the 3x stitch for about $25.

Welcome to Bison | Bison Designs

They Bison Design belts are essentially copies of the Wilderness belts (see Easy-Fit Original Instructor Belt - NEW! Wilderness Tactical Products, LLC). The Original Wilderness Instructor's belt is a 5x stitch, which would be EXTREMELY stiff and strong.

By the way, I use the belt keeper because I didn't get the right size belt so the velcro strips don''t line up for me. If you size your belt correctly, you won't need a belt keeper of any kind.

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eaccents View Post
    The "belt keeper" (aka binder clip) or the belts?

My belt keeper/binder clip is just this:

They can be found in ANY office supply store. It works great at keeping the tip of the belt from flapping around.

The belts are made by Bison Designs. They make regular nylon web belts of good quality (which I found in a local retail store that sells quality, practical clothing). They also make the heavy duty belts that are triple stitched, which are stiff enough for my purposes. I got the 3x stitch for about $25.

Welcome to Bison | Bison Designs

They Bison Design belts are essentially copies of the Wilderness belts (see Easy-Fit Original Instructor Belt - NEW! Wilderness Tactical Products, LLC). The Original Wilderness Instructor's belt is a 5x stitch, which would be EXTREMELY stiff and strong.

By the way, I use the belt keeper because I didn't get the right size belt so the velcro strips don''t line up for me. If you size your belt correctly, you won't need a belt keeper of any kind.
    Thanks for the info and pictures - they are worth a thousand words. I have those metal clips hanging around the house, and the belt I have seen at one of the gun stores around here. Again, thanks.

The Uncle Mikes belt isn't very comfortable when sitting down for any length of time, i wonder if the leather belts cut into your stomach less?

8. The original request was for a good but not expensive belt. If it happens you buy 5.11 clothing, merchants (such as L.A. Police Gear and others) often offer a deal where they'll throw in a free belt with a clothing order.

As it happens, my everyday belt is a custom Beltster from Bandera Gunleather, made especially to carry my 30 year old single edged Bowen Survivor buckle, 1911 strong side, and 1911 crossdraw on my left. I seldom use the holster feature, but it's handy now and then.

I have a couple of those "free" (yeah, I know, TANSTAAFL) 5.11 belts in my closet. They're not bad (and have a little elastic piece in center rear, to carry a handcuff key).

Just thought I'd mention them. Maybe not my favorite belt, but not bad.
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

Well i already purchased the Uncle Mikes belt, so if i get another belt its probably going to be a Galco SB2

How about since i got my cheap belt recommend me a good belt for my next purchase when i pony up the cash?

I use a regular harness leather Amish belt...sold online for about $25. Works great for my Supertuck/G19

Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    I use a regular harness leather Amish belt...sold online for about $25. Works great for my Supertuck/G19
    here is a local store that has leather goods made by the Amish. Both of my belts are REALLY thick and you can tell that they are hand cut. Nice Belts. I think I paid $30 for each
    Semper Fi

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast