Texas Employer Requirements

Thread: Texas Employer Requirements

1. Texas Employer Requirements

I work for an international company at a Texas location. The company has just made a policy requiring employees to complete a form and prove they have a CHL in order to keep their handgun in a locked box in a locked vehicle in a company parking lot. I am aware Texas requires employers to allow a CHL person to keep their weapons in a locked vehicle but am concerned the form requires disclosure of model, serial number amount of ammo and type of ammo. The new policy also declares employees in Oklahoma and Florida are exempt from this "registration" because those states specify employers may not asked about CHL status. Does anyone know the Texas law well enough to lend an opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by revgsp1 View Post
    ... I am aware Texas requires employers to allow a CHL person to keep their weapons in a locked vehicle but am concerned the form requires disclosure of model, serial number amount of ammo and type of ammo. ...
    To my knowledge there is yet any legislation on the books to allow this in the Stage of Texas. A company's parking lot is private property, therefore the state cannot currently tell them that they can't deny you possession of your firearm on their property, locked in a box or otherwise.

I am not a lawyer, but when I saw Oklahoma pass legislation that allowed you, if you are a CHL holder, keep your firearm in your private property (car) locked on someone else's private property (the company you work for), I took interest. There was an attempt at this the last legislative session, but it was never brought to the floor in time. It will make another attempt again the next time.

JSDinTexas Guest
    Look at this site:

TCHA: Civilian Carry

JSDinTexas Guest
    Oh yes, and as to what kind and so on - Bull***t - they can ask but will get no answer from me.

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jsdinTexas View Post
    Oh yes, and as to what kind and so on - Bull***t - they can ask but will get no answer from me.
    Just tell them, "At least One of each."

JSDinTexas Guest
    Or maybe ask back - "Which One?"

8. I don't believe that bill passed. Like many other bills, they died before reaching the Governor due to the procedural moves by certain members meant to stall the entire process. The legislative session ended and a special session was called by the Governor to pass a budget only.

So if I am correct, the employer has the upper hand and you will need to comply or find another job.

Quote Originally Posted by lightsabre View Post
    I don't believe that bill passed. Like many other bills, they died before reaching the Governor due to the procedural moves by certain members meant to stall the entire process. The legislative session ended and a special session was called by the Governor to pass a budget only.

So if I am correct, the employer has the upper hand and you will need to comply or find another job.
    Correct. I just reread my reply. I apologize if I was not clear. I had reread it before I posted it and that should have been a sign to delete it and rewrite it.... Man that was bad. But yes, Lightsabre said what I was poorly attempting to say, I lot more cleanly.