Does weapon have to be on person in car? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does weapon have to be on person in car?

In Louisiana your vehicle is considered an extension of your home so you can have a loaded firearm in your car or truck. I've lived in LA for the past 25 years and the few times I've ever been stopped by a LEO they have all verified this. If your handgun is worn on your person while your inside your vehicle you have to inform the LEO that you have a handgun on your person, but other than that you can have your handgun anywhere inside your car or truck.
    SI VIS PACEM, PARABELLUM
    "If you seek peace, prepare for war"

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tea51 View Post
    In Louisiana your vehicle is considered an extension of your home so you can have a loaded firearm in your car or truck. I've lived in LA for the past 25 years and the few times I've ever been stopped by a LEO they have all verified this. If your handgun is worn on your person while your inside your vehicle you have to inform the LEO that you have a handgun on your person, but other than that you can have your handgun anywhere inside your car or truck.
    My Indiana permit says its a go for your vehicle too.

Quote Originally Posted by ramrunnr View Post
    I just went through SC a few days ago and I have a NC CHP. From what I read on SC law the gun has to be lock in the Glovebox, NOT on your person.
    South Carolina is legal loaded in glove or console, NO concealed permit required.

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division
    SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.
    (9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driverís license, registration, or proof of insurance;

5. In Texas the loaded handgun in a car does not have to be in the glovebox. It just has to be concealed. Plus you cannot be committing any offense greater than a class C misdemeanor at the time, and you cannot be otherwise prohibited from having a gun (eg. a convicted felon). No concealed permit needed for carry in your car.

I travel the southeast by car alot, especially from my South Florida house to my South Carolina house. I simply, for comfort, carry in a shoulder holster while driving. While shoulder holsters are so slow to draw from it is quicker than from a console. When I exit the vehicle, rest stop, or to eat, I transfer my pistol to my IWB holster for quicker access while I'm out and about. I just prefer to have my pistol on me at all times and have some comfort on long drives.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12