Does weapon have to be on person in car?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does weapon have to be on person in car?

Does weapon have to be on person in car?

Greetings. I am planning a trip to Texas from my native state of North Carloina,thru SC,GA,AL,MISS,LA back thru ARK, TN, I have, and my son has a concealed carry license and we plan to take two pistols in our car. Am I right in understanding that weapons needs to be concealed but not necessarly on your person , such as in glove box? If that is so, does that place the third party sitting in the passenger seat, my wife who does NOT have a CCL, in any liability?
    ........need some expert advice, JHB.....

3. In Mississippi, your car is considered an extension of your home, meaning it can be concealed or not, on person or not. The other states have different laws and statutes.

You can have it either on you or concealed in the car. In fact in Texas now you do not have to have a CHL to carry it in you car as long as it is concealed.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Try this site. Each state is different so be familiar with their laws. Handgunlaw.us/
    Why are you worried about holding up the targets for me? It' s a 9mm!

6. That's right, each state is different, and they change as time goes by. Case law has brought about changes in my home state of Washington. I recall when a case in one county caused us all to be warned for a few years to keep the pistol on our person. Then, after another test case, we heard it was legal to have it in a door pocket, etc.

Personally, I ALWAYS feel safest with my pistol on my person. I feel sorry for ladies whose clothing doesn't let them wear it, so they keep a handgun in purse.
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

I just went through SC a few days ago and I have a NC CHP. From what I read on SC law the gun has to be lock in the Glovebox, NOT on your person.

From USACarry.com SC page:

Automobile carry:
    Any person in a vehicle where the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console or closed trunk. The handgun may be loaded.
    Kershaw Shallot 1840, Kel-Tec P-3at, Kel-Tec PF-9, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible), Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by ramrunnr View Post
    I just went through SC a few days ago and I have a NC CHP. From what I read on SC law the gun has to be lock in the Glovebox, NOT on your person.
    Not true for cwp holders

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is:

(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance; or

(b) concealed on or about his person, and he has a valid concealed weapons permit pursuant to the provisions of Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23;
    You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Lweson View Post
    In Mississippi, your car is considered an extension of your home, meaning it can be concealed or not, on person or not. The other states have different laws and statutes.
    that is the same in South Carolina and Texas. In both of those states you are 100% allowed to have a loaded firearm in your glovebox without any permits. Thanks for telling me about mississippi.

to the original question... I would reccomend going to NRA-ILA ::. They have a very comprehensive listing of firearms laws in every state with an interactive map. Happy Trails to you.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

10. I have a cyber-friend in NC. We've never discussed glovebox vs on person, but she says her NC carry permit requires her to declare the gun to an Officer.

I live in Washington. I've never declared the gun, but once had a small town nutball cop freak out when he saw my Concealed Pistol License (CPL is now in left side wallet, driver's license in right side wallet), and last time a Skagit County Deputy stopped me, he asked if I had my gun AFTER he'd run my license. This tells me they DO link CPL to driver's license (and maybe vehicle registration, though I was not driving my own vehicle this time) -- and it also tells me it's time to stop carrying only one pistol on my person...

I have long thought about a well-concealed "safe box" in my vehicle, with concealed release. Only ONCE, I met a guy at a gun show who was marketing these. With the times we foresee in the near future, this would seem to be a good idea.
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Felix View Post
    I have long thought about a well-concealed "safe box" in my vehicle, with concealed release. Only ONCE, I met a guy at a gun show who was marketing these. With the times we foresee in the near future, this would seem to be a good idea.
    I'm just about to launch a website selling trunk mountable and other safes. The website isn't turned on for ordering yet but if you are interested tin ordering one let me know.
    Here's a link to the product page. Prince-B Automotive Beige Electronic LCD Motorized Security Safe. Home Security Safes and Biometric Locks at reasonable prices!
    You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast