Purchase Permit -MI
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchase Permit -MI

Purchase Permit -MI

They need to make a standard system that all cities use to give purchase permits. Shelby Twp is making me wait 3 days to process my application and my friend went the same day i did to Oakland county and walked out with his permit. Shelby twp wouldn't say why it takes 3 days they just kept saying that "they needed to check some things." Its so aggravating....

Quote Originally Posted by carguy48026 View Post
    They need to make a standard system that all cities use to give purchase permits. Shelby Twp is making me wait 3 days to process my application and my friend went the same day i did to Oakland county and walked out with his permit. Shelby twp wouldn't say why it takes 3 days they just kept saying that "they needed to check some things." Its so aggravating....
    I don't know C~G, I walked into a nice store, asked for an XDm, Said I'll take, and walked out with it right then. I dropped off my papers to the Local PD the next day and did not even shut the car off. It could not have been any simpler.
    Semper Fi

Why aren't you people screaming bloody murder over this infringement of your rights?

I walk into a gun store and if I see something I want I buy it and walk out as soon as the forms and phone call are done. I consider that a denial of my rights and I tell my political hacks about it often.

Quote Originally Posted by carguy48026 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ricbak View Post
    I don't know C~G, I walked into a nice store, asked for an XDm, Said I'll take, and walked out with it right then. I dropped off my papers to the Local PD the next day and did not even shut the car off. It could not have been any simpler.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    Why aren't you people screaming bloody murder over this infringement of your rights?

I walk into a gun store and if I see something I want I buy it and walk out as soon as the forms and phone call are done. I consider that a denial of my rights and I tell my political hacks about it often.
    How hard is calling the store, Do you have one of these thangs? ... OK, I'll be there in an hour, Drive an 20 minutes, Say I'm Here to pick up a XDm, Handed the Counter guy my Drivers Lic and CPL, Cash, sign the forms and walk out. I was home cleaning an new Sidearm in about 90 minutes.....
    Semper Fi

Okay then, what are the actual facts about this 'purchase permit' the OP referred to?

I'm still not crazy about the idea of having to drop off paperwork at the PD; that's one of my big compalints about Clark County and its 'blue butt wipe'.

How hard is calling the store, Do you have one of these thangs? ... OK, I'll be there in an hour, Drive an 20 minutes, Say I'm Here to pick up a XDm, Handed the Counter guy my Drivers Lic and CPL, Cash, sign the forms and walk out. I was home cleaning an new Sidearm in about 90 minutes.....
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Before Michigan became Shall Issue, A person had to go to their local LEO and get a purchase permit. But even then It took just a few minutes for the Locals to check your name and records and issue the papers. Back then, We had to take the Handgun back to the LEO for a "Safety Inspection" and the police would issue a "Green Card" with the handgun info and your info on the card. Almost all of that has gone away. I have had my CPL for a few years and that CPL is my "Background check". The purchase permit just is a way to do background checks. It sounds more like Shelly Township is screwing around with C~G . Michigan's system is not perfect and can be improved, but does work
    Semper Fi

Unfortunately I'm still in the process of getting my cpl. So I have to get a permit to purchase first all I know is that Shelby will be getting a phone call everyday until I have it in my hand.

That explains the different experiences posted by the two of you and clears up my confusion.

I'm still on the side of 'shall not be infringed' and I see these as infringements. However, while many states have it worse than you do (and I do) I'd still complain to the PD -- along with my elected reps -- every time I had to deal with this.
    Before Michigan became Shall Issue, A person had to go to their local LEO and get a purchase permit. But even then It took just a few minutes for the Locals to check your name and records and issue the papers. Back then, We had to take the Handgun back to the LEO for a "Safety Inspection" and the police would issue a "Green Card" with the handgun info and your info on the card. Almost all of that has gone away. I have had my CPL for a few years and that CPL is my "Background check". The purchase permit just is a way to do background checks. It sounds more like Shelly Township is screwing around with C~G . Michigan's system is not perfect and can be improved, but does work

That is bs they're making you wait days for the permit. Jackson Co. was about 15 minutes both times for me. You should contact the Attorney Generals office and complain.

Just to clarify, you only have to get the Purchase Permits if you don't have a CPL, and only for pistols. When you have a CPL, you still have to mail in the registration within 10 days, but you can buy a gun at any time with the normal NICS check only.

And I totally agree that the whole mess is unconstitutional and a waste of time, and my "representatives" know how I feel.

wow, 3 days for a purchase permit? When I got my M&P it literally took me 10 mins for the permit, they had me take some stupid "safety test," DID NOT check the answers, and threw it away. They took my license, and finger prints, and I was out of there.
    Once you get your CPL, things will be a hell of alot easier.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast