NYS Unrestricted Permit

Thread: NYS Unrestricted Permit

1. NYS Unrestricted Permit

Hello All,

In a few weeks I'll be a resident of Dutchess County. I had my pistol license file transfered over there and I'll have to go and meet with them at some point to continue the process. My Rockland permit will still be in effect until the other one kicks in as far as I understand it.

My question is, when I eventually get an unrestricted carry permit, does that apply to all of NY, except for the five boroughs of NYC? I know that individual Counties have the right to place restrictions on your permit, but must they honor the unrestricted permit?

For instance, if I was in Rockland and someone saw me printing in the supermarket and freaked out and called the police and I showed them that I was legally carrying, could they give me trouble? Has anyone experienced any sort of harassment outside of their county of issuance about their unrestricted permit?

Thanks!

Mike

I don't have any personal experience in the matter, but as I understand it, it is a STATE permit, valid in the STATE of NY, not the county it was issued in. Once its issued in your county, it is valid in whatever county you go to, with whatever restrictions (or lack there) it has on it. This of course excludes NYC.

4. i agree with tj cubin. as far as i know it is good in all of ny state but nyc good luck from sullivan county ny

Your permit is valid anywhere in NY, except NYC. You follow what your permit says when carrying. If your permit has restrictions, it is restricted across NY. If it is unrestricted, you can carry anytime upstate or on Long Island.

6. That's what I've always understood the situation to be, but now that I'm presented with the possibility of an unrestricted permit, as I'm sure you can understand, I want to be VERY sure!

Thanks guys!

Mike

There are a lot of people in NYC that don't have permits and carry, this includes many good and wholesome folks. So why can't a state permit apply every where in the state?

I know, it's those crazy people in charge in NYC, plus they all have permits.

Jerry
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    North American Hunting Club Life Member
    Crossbow Nation

I'm new to the forum and reading up on past posts.
    I live in NYC but have been an avid shooter and outdoors man for 25 years. I feel like I live in an occupied land with the Bloomberg perspective on legal firearm ownership in NYC.

To go to the pistol range in NYC is a production is its own right. Owning rifles and keeping ammo in NYC is like being under british rule in 1775. They say history repeats itself. It feels like prohibition -English Style.

Regards,

Mike.

Welcome to USA Carry Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by 1018397 View Post
    I'm new to the forum and reading up on past posts.
    I live in NYC but have been an avid shooter and outdoors man for 25 years. I feel like I live in an occupied land with the Bloomberg perspective on legal firearm ownership in NYC.

To go to the pistol range in NYC is a production is its own right. Owning rifles and keeping ammo in NYC is like being under british rule in 1775. They say history repeats itself. It feels like prohibition -English Style.

Regards,

Mike.
    NYC gun laws are some of the worst in this country. The only solution is to "Vote with your Feet". The guys who run the NYC gun range are great guys but their hands are tied. When I am hanging out at the range or the long island gun shops and someone mentions that they are MOVING from New York, everybody congratulates him, saying "good for you" and "about time". NYC is very sad and you can't save a sinking ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Sights on Target View Post
    Your permit is valid anywhere in NY, except NYC. You follow what your permit says when carrying. If your permit has restrictions, it is restricted across NY. If it is unrestricted, you can carry anytime upstate or on Long Island.
    Im looking to take the NY CCW course so I can add NY to the UT CCW permit I have. I live in LIC, NYC. Do you know of anyone offering the course close to me?

Quote Originally Posted by 1018397 View Post
    Im looking to take the NY CCW course so I can add NY to the UT CCW permit I have. I live in LIC, NYC. Do you know of anyone offering the course close to me?
    I answered your question in another forum, but I will repeat it here. Living in NYC you will not be able to obtain a NYS permit because you are not a NYS resident. So taking a NY CCW course will be a waste of money. If you want a NRA basic certificate in obtaining a florida non-res, then that's possible.