ASP Concealed Carry

Thread: ASP Concealed Carry

1. ASP Concealed Carry

Hi,

I'm looking into buying an asp baton for self-defense and want to use it for concealed carry in mo, ok, il, nj, and pa. I'm guessing that nj, pa, and probably il will have problems w/ it unless I have a ccw permit (which I can't get yet since I'm under 21...) Can anyone confirm that and tell me whether it's legal in mo or ok? Thanks!

3. Can't say about your locale, except to observe that many places have Concealed PISTOL Licenses, but do not allow other weapons. Here in Washington State, I can wear my .45 no problem, but my 3.5" folding knife could get me into trouble (the knife laws vary according to city/county and can be confusing), and I've been told even nunchucks are forbidden weapons. Seems crazy that two sticks tied together are a no-no for a guy who is OK to carry a firearm.

My Beloved was a cop in a former life, and she really likes the ASP telescoping baton. So this issue is of interest to me. Eventually, I'll buy her a baton and she'll probably put it in her purse (different compartment than the .357).

For myself: I've lately been using a cane (tib-fib fractures due to winter weather foolishness on my motorcycle) and I'm coming to realize there's enough gray in my whiskers that my use of a cane is not at all remarkable. I'm seriously considering a Cold Steel City Stick. I'm also aware of Canemasters.com and their line of canes. That's one "weapon" which is not viewed as such, even by the TSA bozos who make it their mission to mistreat decent American travellers. Just thought I'd mention it as an option.

Let us know what you learn about carrying the ASP baton. I have a hunch that in most places it's a no-no, unless you're a cop -- but a Maglight in the "handy bludgeon size" would be fine because it's not a "weapon."
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

4. re: ASP concealed carry

I bleieve it is Cold Steel that makes a replica Irish Blackthorn walking stick that is virtually indistingusihable from a real Irish shillaghleh (sp?). Made of high density polypropylene, it looks like an actual blackthorn branch walking stick and I have seen footage of it demolishing concrete blocks. I walk with a cane, and am considering buying one of these babies.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

a big no in IL.... in IL u cant carry anything that can be used to protect urself from the criminals who will still carry them and use them on you...
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it."
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." (Winston Churchill).

Quote Originally Posted by wuzfuz View Post
    I bleieve it is Cold Steel that makes a replica Irish Blackthorn walking stick that is virtually indistingusihable from a real Irish shillaghleh (sp?). Made of high density polypropylene, it looks like an actual blackthorn branch walking stick and I have seen footage of it demolishing concrete blocks. I walk with a cane, and am considering buying one of these babies.
    They also make a Zulu walking stick replica, and a realy neat sword-cane.

7. I bought a City Stick. Would have gone with the plain stainless head, but the skull head was on closeout sale. Oh well, it's in fashion this month. Happy Halloween. It outweighs my old stockyard cane, but is fine to walk with and doesn't attract too much notice.

I bought Kathleen a 26" ASP baton. At first it wouldn't lock open properly, even after we wiped off the perservative oil it was covered with. I contacted ASP and was about to return it, when I gave one more vigorous try, and it locked extended. From that point, it worked fine. We fiddled with it a bit more, and suddenly I had the same problem, the tip refusing to lock out. Then it worked again. I have a hunch it is dependent on relative rotational positions. Perhaps the friction locking surfaces are not perfectly round. I'm going to mark them then experiment a bit more.

Right now, I think she has the baton in a car door pocket. I'll have to ask around carefully. Can't help wondering if the ASP is even legal carried openly, let alone concealed.

Frankly, we live in an age of countless laws. Just about everything is illegal in some way. So I don't worry too much about it anymore.

I must admit, Cold Steel's Heavy Duty sword cane is attractive...

"Did you really think we want those laws observed?" said Dr. Ferris. "We want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against... We're after power and we mean it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with."

--Ayn Rand ('Atlas Shrugged' 1957)
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

asp's are pretty much a no go to carry around unless ur a leo. i have one and had a buddy tell me that i cant carry it even with a ccw cause the ccw is ment for the handgun only.... find the biggest knife you can carry on ur person that's legal and wait till you can get ur ccw. hell id even go for pepper spray b4 carrying my asp again. also another thought comes to mind.... do you even know how to use one and what places to strike and not to strike???? just curious....

hope you find the answers your looking for. u could also call ur local leo or sheriff and inquire.

9. If we're trying hard to be legal, and we don't want attention but do want a defensive impact weapon, get a cane. A cane, like a Maglight carried at night, is not a "weapon," but it can be very effective. My cane has more reach than even the longest ASP baton.

Some jurisdictions even ban pepper spray. So people carry "non-weapon" sprays. A face full of oven cleaner or ammonia can slow an attacker. Heck, she picked up a can a while back, and forgot to take it out of her purse at home.....