Concealed Carry in Banks. - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry in Banks.

As far as I can tell the only state owned bank on U.S. territory is in Puerto Rico and I don't think that would be much of a concern. Banks are privately owned and simply because they are insured by the Federal Reserve doesn't place them under government ownership. With the current administration things could change though.

The only states that prohibit concealed carry in banks are Montana, Nebraska, and North Carolina. See Mont. Code Ann. § 45-8-328(1)(b); Neb. Rev. Stat. § 69-2441(1)(a); N.C. Gen Stat. § 14‑415.11(c).
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Attorney, The Law Offices of James M. Mullins, Jr., PLLC
    Founder and Past President, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.

Went to my bank (Compass) here in Colorado this week. Been doing business there for over 15+ years, so I know the Customer Service Manager well......decided to ask her what was the policy regarding Concealed Carry.

Paraphrasing, she said, "Well, the official bank policy doesn't say you can't---but we would really appreciate it if you didn't--plus we wouldn't know if you were or not."

I thought that was a straightforward and honest answer!

Now I have the choice.....to carry inside or leave my Glock 19 in the truck.

Sincerely,
    Stan

I carry concealed into my bank in N.Y. and never have I seen a sign telling me not to do so.

For those who have an iPhone, Legal Heat is a great app that gives a state-by-state run down on the laws, including bank carry.

7. Quote Originally Posted by spweber View Post
    Went to my bank (Compass) here in Colorado this week. Been doing business there for over 15+ years, so I know the Customer Service Manager well......decided to ask her what was the policy regarding Concealed Carry.

Paraphrasing, she said, "Well, the official bank policy doesn't say you can't---but we would really appreciate it if you didn't--plus we wouldn't know if you were or not."

Sincerely,
    Stan
    To be quite honest, I have never understood reasoning behind asking about a policy regarding lawful firearms possession. My personal take on it is if a business doesn't want guns on their property then they should post a sign. If it is legal to carry there, and there is no sign posted, then why ask? If you were trying to sneak past a sleeping pit bull, would you kick it on your way by? Asking management about firearms possession, especially concealed, is only an invitation for them to ban firearms. We have enough problems with corporations banning firearms on their own, without our help. I don't feel the need, myself, to raise an issue with them that they might not think about on their own. No sign = OK to carry to me.

Didn't you have that choice before you asked? What if in response to your question the answer was "NO! Absolutely NOT!" Then what? Before you had the choice above - but if the answer was "NO" then you have the choice of carrying inside or violating management's wishes to ban firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    To be quite honest, I have never understood reasoning behind asking about a policy regarding lawful firearms possession. ......
    My reasoning is quite simple.

I respect a private institutions rules/policies. If I don't like the rules/policies, I can take my business elsewhere.

Since I indicated that I had done business with this specific bank for 15+ years and knew the Cust. Svc. Mgr very well...it was even more important.....to me......to request their policy on CCW, so as to respect their rules/policies (since I've only recently become licensed to carry).

Now that I know their 'official' policy, I can CCW inside the bank....with full knowledge.....not guessing.

Sincerely,
    Stan

9. Quote Originally Posted by spweber View Post
    My reasoning is quite simple.

I respect a private institutions rules/policies. If I don't like the rules/policies, I can take my business elsewhere.

Sincerely,
    Stan
    Are you going to ask in every store/business that you go into? Or are some private institutions more important to respect the policies of than others?

(since I've only recently become licensed to carry)
    I think that if you poll more experienced carriers you will discover that most adhere to a don't ask, don't tell policy. Carrying a gun is no different than carrying a cell phone or wearing a hat or wearing a wrist watch. We don't ask if a company minds if we wear a hat or wear a wrist watch do we? A gun is no different. Only the Brady Campaign and anti-gun groups have made guns seem to be different than those other items to the people that will listen to them.

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by spweber View Post

Sincerely,
    Stan
    Well, that choice would be easy if it were me. Nice piece, I love the G19. I personally feel it is about the perfect pistol, JMHO.

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Are you going to ask in every store/business that you go into? Or are some private institutions more important to respect the policies of than others?

I think that if you poll more experienced carriers you will discover that most adhere to a don't ask, don't tell policy. Carrying a gun is no different than carrying a cell phone or wearing a hat or wearing a wrist watch. We don't ask if a company minds if we wear a hat or wear a wrist watch do we? A gun is no different. Only the Brady Campaign and anti-gun groups have made guns seem to be different than those other items to the people that will listen to them.
    Exactly, I could not have said that any better.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast