Whats a good pepper spray? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Whats a good pepper spray?

Quote Originally Posted by 901-Memphis View Post
    Thanks for doing the legwork on the topic and posting back, i think after reading some more info on the site and other places Inferno seems to be one of the best for many reasons.
    I really think it is the best. I have used it before and it is surprisingly effective.
    -Austin

I heard that wasp spray works good too. You can buy it anywhere. I haven't heard about any restrictions on carrying it either.

4. I have heard about truck drivers that carry wasp spray in their trucks with them. too many restrictions on carrying in a truck

My wife and I occasionally carry Spitfires from Personal Defense Solutions. Neither of us has had to use it so I can't provide testimony for its effectiveness. My gun shop/indoor range stopped carrying the Kimbers because of their 2-shot limit and started carrying the Spitfires. Personally, I like the way the Spitfire naturally points...it's hard to miss the bad guy.

Pepper Spray: Personal Defense Solutions

JSDinTexas Guest
    I went with Fox Labs 3 oz stream with flop top lid to avoid accidental discharge, and which has a 2% concentration for more burn. We will see as soon as I can find someone or something to try it on ...

Quote Originally Posted by oldvet53 View Post
    how about the peper sray that was designed for hikers to repell bears? if it will stop a bear you can be dammed sure it will work on a man!
    I've always wondered this myself. Are there legal restrictions on the scoville rating you're permitted to use on a human attacker, and at the moment of defense, will I care?

Something else I'd like to see explored, if for no other reason than having it here in the forum, what's the diff between what gets squirted out the business end of a pepper spray bottle and anything you might put on food? (I'm a culinary masochist. The hotter and spicier the food, the better. I can chow down on a habañero with only a slight tearing up.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

JSDinTexas Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyInBlue View Post
    I've always wondered this myself. Are there legal restrictions on the scoville rating you're permitted to use on a human attacker, and at the moment of defense, will I care?

Something else I'd like to see explored, if for no other reason than having it here in the forum, what's the diff between what gets squirted out the business end of a pepper spray bottle and anything you might put on food? (I'm a culinary masochist. The hotter and spicier the food, the better. I can chow down on a habañero with only a slight tearing up.
    I spoke with a LEO friend and he watched an instructor spray a salad and eat it to show the organic nature of the spray to the cadets. Still, I will probably stick with ranch dressing.

Try them all on yourself and see which hurts the most.

10. google.com
    Didn't take but 2 seconds
    Scoville scale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by CathyInBlue View Post

Cathy, the pepper used in pepper spray is food grade. When I was an Instructor using Def-Tec First Defense, they made every effort to prevent anyone from claiming we sprayed them with toxic substances and chemicals. The Pepper was food grade, the small amount of alcohol was Pharmacuetical grade, and the carrier/oily liquid base was the same as Avon Skin So Soft. It was totally non-toxic and actually edible. As far as maximum scoville units, peppers are only so hot. Some of the cheaper companies have used cheezy methods of calculating the millions of scoville units they claim. Stay away from the Pawn shop/ drug store/ flea market brands, unless that shop is a Law Enforcement type supplier. It doesn't matter how much you concentrate them, it's still only as hot as the pepper. Usually Habanero peppers were used in the quality stuff, not red pepper. The inner most placenta, the hottest part of the pepper, was used and pulverized into micron powder, about the size of chalk dust, and suspended in the carrier liquid. It stayed mixed, no shaking required. The stuff used on bears in the beginning was actually a weaker mix than the Law enforcement grade stuff. Mainly because Bear noses and faces are much more sensitive to smell and such. Now, I think it's all just about the same, as long as you buy quality stuff. The Def-Tec stuff we used on the street was a 10% mix, while Freeze +p was 2% pepper and 2% CS teargas. Some good names that come to mind are; Defense Technologies (Def-Tec) First Defense, Aerko Corp. Freeze +p, Punch, Sabre, Fox, Mace Brand Triple Action. I personally like Def-Tec Pepper Spray, Mace triple action or Freeze +P combo sprays with Pepper and Tear gas combined. Good stuff, used it on the street for years and it works.
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast