Introduction and newbie question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Introduction and newbie question

1. Introduction and newbie question

Hello, All,

A friend just referred me to this site when I asked about states in which, with little or no hassle, a person can own and carry (concealed or otherwise) a handgun. I hardly need say more when I mention that I live in NY. ;-) Yes, the state where nothing is legal.
    In accordance with the law where I live, I did purchase a Ruger .22 rifle, but if I lived for a thousand years, I doubt I could navigate the gun laws here successfully enough to even be able to own a handgun that I would have to keep locked up at home in a safe, with a trigger lock. ;-) I am sick of this you-know-what, want very much to own and carry a handgun, and to learn from those more knowledgeable and experienced than I all there is to know about owning, maintaining, properly using and bearing a gun.
    NY ain't the state to do it in. ;-0
    I am not considering moving to another state purely due to its gun laws, there are other factors in my life involved; but if I do move, I will only move to a state where I can walk into a gun store, buy a gun, and carry it on my person--if such a state exists. ;-)
    I welcome advice.

Thanks,
    M

3. Easy

Quote Originally Posted by Mordred478 View Post
    Hello, All,

A friend just referred me to this site when I asked about states in which, with little or no hassle, a person can own and carry (concealed or otherwise) a handgun. I hardly need say more when I mention that I live in NY. ;-) Yes, the state where nothing is legal.
    In accordance with the law where I live, I did purchase a Ruger .22 rifle, but if I lived for a thousand years, I doubt I could navigate the gun laws here successfully enough to even be able to own a handgun that I would have to keep locked up at home in a safe, with a trigger lock. ;-) I am sick of this you-know-what, want very much to own and carry a handgun, and to learn from those more knowledgeable and experienced than I all there is to know about owning, maintaining, properly using and bearing a gun.
    NY ain't the state to do it in. ;-0
    I am not considering moving to another state purely due to its gun laws, there are other factors in my life involved; but if I do move, I will only move to a state where I can walk into a gun store, buy a gun, and carry it on my person--if such a state exists. ;-)
    I welcome advice.

Thanks,
    M
    Alaska.....

wolfhunter Guest
    Alaska and Vermont probably have the best 2A positions. Other states to consider are Arizona and Florida.

5. +1 for Alaska (if you don't mind freezing your balls off and living in the dark 4 months outta the year).

Hi Mordred and welcome to the forum.
    I moved from CA to CO and I am VERY happy with the gun laws here. The city of Denver has a few restrictions that I don't like, but that is just one city in a big beautiful gun friendly state. I live just south of Denver, and it is no problem to oc or cc. You can buy guns or ammo in numerous locations in any city, and there are many ranges with lots of activities.
    You should come out to visit some time and check us out. This is a very conservative state.
    Fondis

Our guns laws are pretty friendly here in Kentucky, you can open carry without a permit and conceal carry with a shall issue permit.

Also in Kentucky we have Concealed Deadly Weapons Permits, so we are allowed to carry all kinds of things legally not just firearms.

Pretty much any state is going to be better than NY, just don't move to Illinois.

Washington will also let you walk out of a gun store with a long gun/shotgun without a hassle. Get a Concealed Pistol License, which is easy to get with some paperwork and fingerprinting, and the handgun waiting period goes away as well.

Washington is not perfect, but it is pretty decent.
    You can't own full-auto guns in WA. You can own a silencer but you can't use it. You can't carry a loaded pistol in a car unless you have a CPL. Those are the big ones in WA, but almost nothing in comparison to NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordred478 View Post
    I am not considering moving to another state purely due to its gun laws...
    Just as you wouldn't leave NY solely based on their gun laws, so too should you not move TO one based solely on theirs. If I should ever find myself leaving PA, without a doubt it is AZ that I would be heading to. In addition to all the recent pro-2A legislation, (bar carry, unlicensed carry, expressed prohibition of gun registration, expressed legalization of displaying a firearm in self defense, to name a few) there are a number of other fantastic laws recently enacted or proposed. By now, everyone is familiar with SB1070. But there is also a proposal in the works to refuse to issue birth certificates to anchor babies. There are more, but I'm drawing a blank this time of day.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Hello, and Welcome from the SC. shore,
    Glock Carrier in SC.

MufDady

Welcome to the forum...

I moved from Long Island to Florida.. (Not for the gun laws, but for the lower cost of living).
    The gun laws are good here (If any gun laws are good) and the permit is good in probably the most states of any state..
    IF you can find a Job in Florida!!! - I've been unemployed for a while now.. In my job search, I'm looking at several other states, and their gun laws ARE one of my criteria..
    This is why I don't want a National Gun law.. At least I have a choice in the matter..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast