Sheriff appeals of gun permits for pot users - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 62

Thread: Sheriff appeals of gun permits for pot users

  1. Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    Wow...I did not know I had so much power...seriously

    Before you judge anyone...know the circumstances.

    I do hate all illegal drugs...This is why.
    My grandpa K. My dad and most of my uncles save one on my dad's side of the family are all raging alcoholics.
    two of them have served hard time for substance abuse. In every case they started drinking young and smoking pot for the two substance abusers.

    I joined the military to escape the bad name that they had given the family.

    I watched helplessly as Airmen's careers were consumed and destroyed by drugs and alcohol. There is no room for error when dealing with a multi million dollar aircraft or the lives of the pilots who trusted you to fix it right the first time.

    I watch the nightly news aghast at the horrors of the Mexican Cartels and their bid for power forcing human slaves to carry bales of marijuana and other drugs as they cross illegally northward towards our cities and our youth.

    If that is hypocritical then I need a new dictionary. I have yet to bash you for your lack of faith...please don't bash me for my belief and faith in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God!!!!!

    Festus, thank the Lord you were able to overcome that family history. The Lord is good. Thanks for the encouraging posts and the truthful posts.

    Philippians 2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

    10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of [things] in heaven, and [things] in earth, and [things] under the earth;

    11 And [that] every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ [is] Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

    12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

  2.   
  3. Quote Originally Posted by Alaska444 View Post
    Festus, thank the Lord you were able to overcome that family history. The Lord is good. Thanks for the encouraging posts and the truthful posts.

    Philippians 2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

    10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of [things] in heaven, and [things] in earth, and [things] under the earth;

    11 And [that] every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ [is] Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

    12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
    I've got some Bible verses for you to consider:

    God good to all, or just a few?

    PSA 145:9 The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.

    JER 13:14 And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them.

    War or Peace?

    EXO 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

    ROM 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.

    Is Jesus equal to or lesser than?

    JOH 10:30 I and my Father are one.

    JOH 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

    Righteous live?

    PSA 92:12: "The righteous shall flourish like the palm tree."

    ISA 57:1: "The righteous perisheth, and no man layeth it to heart."

    Want some more?

  4. #43
    I suppose asking you guys to take your hate fest to an appropriate forum, or better yet to PM would be a waste of my time, wouldn't it?


    Oh well, I guess discussion germaine to this topic isn't as important as your intention to
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,429
    If we had a rule 9 on this site, we would not have these pissing contests.

    The OP was about a sheriff grandstanding, and potentially abusing his powers.

    It quickly turned into enlightened people VS straight arrow people.

    Someone brought up Jesus H. Christ, and the whole topic degenerated. The scripture guns came out, and now a blood bath.

    I said it once, I will say it again. Remove politics, religion, and other hot topics, and what we have is a gun talk site.

    I wonder why the admin wants all this confrontation? Makes me wonder.

    9. We have learned from bitter experience that discussions of certain subjects (politics, religion, abortion, sexual orientation, etc) often degenerate quickly. For this reason, we prohibit these subjects in our discussions. We also discourage "caliber wars" and the virtues of "open carry" topic; strongly encouraging you to take these discussions to other forums where these topics are the focus

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    699
    Midnight, while I disagree with your views on God, it's a fact that religion has been abused by the few to control the many. I agree with your views on the naive argument that marijuana, or even drugs in general, makes people do things against their will.

    Kinda like blaming guns for killing people guys, you don't blame the object, you blame the user.

    Bighouse doc, still waiting on some links to that research you were talking about.
    You post links referring to altered blood pressure even after abstinence? How about owning up to the fact that a vast majority of man made medication has side effects and adverse side effects(sometimes lethal) as well.

    As for those that rant on about marijuana being wrong because it's illegal. Maybe you should do some research into Dupont's involvement in this particular drug becoming illegal because of it's close cousin, hemp. You may find that this has nothing to do with public safety.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

    I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

  7. #46
    Hmm..so much to say, so little time.

    Frankly, Iceman, that other site you keep mentioning sounds very politically-correct and boring to me. This site provides a whole host of forums for people to express their opinions. If you're interested solely in "gun stuff", there are plenty of forums for that. Utilize those and stay off the "lifestyle" forums (carrying is a lifestyle choice vs. what gun is better, where to find a good holster, etc.), where you might run into some Christians (gasp!) expressing their beliefs and opinions as they are germane to the discussion. There truly is no need to go ballistic because someone says "God help you..." (you didn't, in this case, I know) and maybe proceeds to throw out a Scripture verse or two. Live and let live, remember?

    Pot smoking? I operate from the general principle of "less gov't". Ergo, I don't want or need the gov't to tell me what I can or can't do in the privacy of my home. If someone wants to imbibe/inhale, whatever, as long as it doesn't impact the safety of the general public, I couldn't care less. Now, if some Rastafarian is toking up as he cruises down the street and he's armed, I got a problem, which is no different that if I see someone swilling Jack Daniels while packing. Intoxicated is intoxicated and need I say you shouldn't be carrying? This goes for legal drugs, too.

    I, like Festus, have seen alcoholism and drug use decimate my extended family. I have brothers, uncles, cousins who are/have been alcoholics and drug addicts. My Dad literally drank himself to death. I, too, was determined that was not going to happen to my sons and have preached and set an example of abstinence, fitness, and a relationship with the Lord (see, Ice, it's a "lifestyle issue" for many of us; we couldn't turn it off if we wanted to) to counteract the pressures that society brings to bear.

    Having said all this, I haven't noticed any potsmokers smoking themselves to death, altho the true pothead (versus the occasional recreational user) does seem to be fat and lazy (and grins a lot...). I'm guessing if I had to select the "intoxicant of choice" for those who wished to alter their reality, alcohol vs. pot, I'd go with the pot. Seems less harmful than alcohol to me (as I think Amdude has alluded to).

    In this case, seems to me, if the sheriff wants to single out heavy pot users, then he should be adressing the heavy drinkers, too. My CCW application, in fact, asks if you abuse illegal substances or alcohol. Notwithstanding that you'd be a doofus to volunteer that info, at least, IMO, it's consistent.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
    I've got some Bible verses for you to consider:

    God good to all, or just a few?

    PSA 145:9 The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.

    JER 13:14 And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them.

    War or Peace?

    EXO 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

    ROM 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.

    Is Jesus equal to or lesser than?

    JOH 10:30 I and my Father are one.

    JOH 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

    Righteous live?

    PSA 92:12: "The righteous shall flourish like the palm tree."

    ISA 57:1: "The righteous perisheth, and no man layeth it to heart."

    Want some more?
    Hey, one day it will all be clear to you as you are bowing to Jesus and confessing that He is your Lord. As I said before, good luck with your defense on that day.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    Midnight, while I disagree with your views on God, it's a fact that religion has been abused by the few to control the many. I agree with your views on the naive argument that marijuana, or even drugs in general, makes people do things against their will.

    Kinda like blaming guns for killing people guys, you don't blame the object, you blame the user.

    Bighouse doc, still waiting on some links to that research you were talking about.
    You post links referring to altered blood pressure even after abstinence? How about owning up to the fact that a vast majority of man made medication has side effects and adverse side effects(sometimes lethal) as well.

    As for those that rant on about marijuana being wrong because it's illegal. Maybe you should do some research into Dupont's involvement in this particular drug becoming illegal because of it's close cousin, hemp. You may find that this has nothing to do with public safety.
    Dear Unfettered, it was not Bighouse doc that quoted the altered brain blood flow, that was me. Despite the very well known facts that the majority of people can actually benefit from one or two drinks a day of wine or even beer, the evidence is that long term casual pot smokers have significant adverse effects especially cognitive wise. Take a look at a study published in JAMA:

    Cognitive Functioning of Long-term Heavy Cannabis Users Seeking Treatment

    In conclusion, our results confirm that cognitive impairments develop as a result of prolonged cannabis use, they endure beyond the period of acute intoxication, and they worsen with increasing years of use. Impairments develop gradually but may only become clinically significant and detectable by standard neuropsychological tests after 1 to 2 decades of cannabis use. Nevertheless, altered brain function with subtle impairment has been shown to manifest earlier.6, 8-9,11, 17-18 It is also likely that impairments would be greater among comorbid substance-dependent persons. The risk to most medical cannabis users is likely to be small, as long as they are not maintained at high doses for many years. For habitual users, the kinds of impairments observed in this study have the potential to impact academic achievements, occupational proficiency, interpersonal relationships, and daily functioning. The extent to which these cognitive impairments may recover following cessation or reduction of cannabis use will be addressed in a follow-up of this sample subsequent to treatment for cannabis dependence.

    JAMA -- Cognitive Functioning of Long-term Heavy Cannabis Users Seeking Treatment, March 6, 2002, Solowij et al. 287 (9): 1123

    So if the Oregon sheriff wants to keep potheads who have the potential of cognitive impairment off the CCW list, more power to him. This is NOT a second amendment issue since CCW is a privilege above and beyond the right to OC or to own a firearm. Setting standards for police officers, who would want to have a pothead pulling you over on the side of the road fully armed? No one would want that due to the possible impaired judgement from such a person. If a person chooses to be a pothead in this OR county, then they will forfeit the privilege of concealed carry. Privileges come with responsibilities and in such anyone that is a pothead doesn't fit the profile of a person that most of us would call responsible.

    As far as the issue of alcohol, all of the 3 states that I hold permits in deny access to CCW for anyone that has a DUI conviction. What, deny second amendment rights to a drunkard? How dare they.

  10. Nevada:

    What are Grounds for Denial?

    Of course, a permit will not be issued to a person who is an ex-felon who has not had his civil rights legally restored, including the right to possess firearms.
    The statute also provides that a permit will not be issued to a person who:
    1. Currently has a warrant outstanding for his arrest.
    2. Has ever been declared by a Judge to be either incompetent or insane.
    3. Within the past five years has been admitted to a mental health facility.
    4. Within the past five years has been a habitual user of alcohol or controlled substances, or been convicted of driving under the influence (DUI), or been committed to a rehabilitation program for alcohol or controlled substances.
    5. Within the past three years has been convicted in any state of a misdemeanor of a violent nature, or involving force, or threatened use of force.
    6. Has been convicted of a felony in any state.
    7. Has been convicted of a crime involving violence or stalking, or under a restraining order for domestic violence.
    8. Is on parole or probation.
    9. Within the past five years has been a subject of a court requirement imposed as a condition of withholding a judgment of conviction of a felony, or suspension of a sentence for conviction of a felony.
    10. Has made a false statement on an application for a concealed weapon permit.

    Untitled Document

    Utah Application:

    ☐ Yes ☐ No Have you ever been convicted of a felony?
    ☐ Yes ☐ No Have you ever been convicted of a crime of violence?
    ☐ Yes ☐ No Have you ever been convicted of an offense involving the use of alcohol? (i.e. DUI/DWI, alcohol related reckless, supply alcohol to minor, etc.)
    ☐ Yes ☐ No Have you ever been convicted of the unlawful use of narcotics or other controlled substances?
    ☐ Yes ☐ No Have you ever been convicted of any offense involving moral turpitude? (i.e., theft, criminal mischief, sex crimes, etc.)
    ☐ Yes ☐ No Have you ever been arrested for any offense involving domestic violence?
    ☐ Yes ☐ No Have you ever been adjudicated as mentally incompetent?
    ☐ Yes ☐ No Have you ever been involved in any incident in which you have used unlawful violence or threats of unlawful violence?
    ☐ Yes ☐ No Are you currently subject to a court sanctioned protective order?
    ☐ Yes ☐ No Have you ever been dishonorably discharged from the armed forces?


    http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/doc...ccwapp_008.pdf

    Idaho asks about Marijuana use as well. Why are people singling out the OR sheriff. You won't get a CCW permit in Idaho either.

    http://www.kcsheriff.com/documents/cwpAppSample.pdf

    Does anyone on this site really want a habitual user of any controlled substance or alcohol carrying a lethal weapon? The rants against this OR sheriff are all ranting over a non issue since I suspect it is the rule of the land for almost any CCW applicant. If anyone in another state can get a CCW by admitting to being a pothead, please let us know so that I can avoid that state.

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,429
    Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    Hmm..so much to say, so little time.

    Frankly, Iceman, that other site you keep mentioning sounds very politically-correct and boring to me. This site provides a whole host of forums for people to express their opinions. If you're interested solely in "gun stuff", there are plenty of forums for that. Utilize those and stay off the "lifestyle" forums (carrying is a lifestyle choice vs. what gun is better, where to find a good holster, etc.), where you might run into some Christians (gasp!) expressing their beliefs and opinions as they are germane to the discussion. There truly is no need to go ballistic because someone says "God help you..." (you didn't, in this case, I know) and maybe proceeds to throw out a Scripture verse or two. Live and let live, remember?

    Pot smoking? I operate from the general principle of "less gov't". Ergo, I don't want or need the gov't to tell me what I can or can't do in the privacy of my home. If someone wants to imbibe/inhale, whatever, as long as it doesn't impact the safety of the general public, I couldn't care less. Now, if some Rastafarian is toking up as he cruises down the street and he's armed, I got a problem, which is no different that if I see someone swilling Jack Daniels while packing. Intoxicated is intoxicated and need I say you shouldn't be carrying? This goes for legal drugs, too.

    I, like Festus, have seen alcoholism and drug use decimate my extended family. I have brothers, uncles, cousins who are/have been alcoholics and drug addicts. My Dad literally drank himself to death. I, too, was determined that was not going to happen to my sons and have preached and set an example of abstinence, fitness, and a relationship with the Lord (see, Ice, it's a "lifestyle issue" for many of us; we couldn't turn it off if we wanted to) to counteract the pressures that society brings to bear.

    Having said all this, I haven't noticed any potsmokers smoking themselves to death, altho the true pothead (versus the occasional recreational user) does seem to be fat and lazy (and grins a lot...). I'm guessing if I had to select the "intoxicant of choice" for those who wished to alter their reality, alcohol vs. pot, I'd go with the pot. Seems less harmful than alcohol to me (as I think Amdude has alluded to).

    In this case, seems to me, if the sheriff wants to single out heavy pot users, then he should be adressing the heavy drinkers, too. My CCW application, in fact, asks if you abuse illegal substances or alcohol. Notwithstanding that you'd be a doofus to volunteer that info, at least, IMO, it's consistent.
    PM sent.
    JJ,
    If you care to explore past postings, you will conclude which two things people fight over in here.
    They are politics, and religion.
    People come in here to talk about packing a firearm, or firearm's in general.
    Why do we need to burden everyone with our religious or political beliefs?
    All I want is the ******** to stop. Have a better idea? Lets hear it.

    Many of us have chemical dependency issues in our close and or extended families. It sure sucks don't it?
    Regarding cannabis use, don't mix it's use with any machinery, or potentially dangerous devices.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 10 Commandments of Concealed Carry
    By HK4U in forum Concealed Carry Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-21-2011, 10:51 AM
  2. Part 2, Can Gun Control Reduce Crime?
    By gdcleanfun in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-19-2010, 01:52 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-05-2008, 03:17 AM
  4. Gun permits a loaded issue
    By CA CCWInstructor in forum California Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-28-2008, 09:38 PM
  5. Investigative Report: Sheriff donors got gun permits
    By CA CCWInstructor in forum California Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-23-2007, 02:05 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast