Clark County/Las Vegas CCW question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clark County/Las Vegas CCW question

1. Clark County/Las Vegas CCW question

Hi all,

New to the LV area, already bought a pistol for CCW. my question is, does anyone know if you have to pay a separate fee for each firearm you want to carry? I read the LVMPD website, and it does not specify, only lists fees and requirements. I am debating whether or not to wait till I pick up my second planned CCW piece to go through the process if it involves only one application for all.

Thanks

3. Quote Originally Posted by uMad? View Post
    Hi all,

New to the LV area, already bought a pistol for CCW. my question is, does anyone know if you have to pay a separate fee for each firearm you want to carry? I read the LVMPD website, and it does not specify, only lists fees and requirements. I am debating whether or not to wait till I pick up my second planned CCW piece to go through the process if it involves only one application for all.

Thanks
    I am a non-resident NV permit holder and didn't have to pay a fee for each firearm I would like listed on my permit. BUT... depending on who you take your NV CCW class with, you may have to pay an extra fee to qualify for additional firearm you would like listed on your permit.

Currently, LVMPD requires a flat fee of $100.25 for the permit. The additional you pay will be at the discretion of your class/instructor.

4. Quote Originally Posted by uMad? View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks
    Depending on the instructor or class it can cost $25+ for each additional gun beyond the first you would like to qualify with for your permit. If you have a gun added after your initial application is processed by Metro then it is $25 (I think) to have a new firearm added to your existing current permit.

Quote Originally Posted by uMad? View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks
    You don't for revolvers, assuming you qualified with a revolver. One you are authorized to carry one revolver, you can carry any kind of revolver.

If you are going for your class now, qualify for any handgun you want to carry. The instructor is likely to charge you more for each gun you qualify with, but may not. If you already have a permit, and then want to add a gun, then you need to qualify with that gun, and will need to pay LVMPD to update your permit.

I would not suggest you buy another CCW gun. I would suggest you buy an open carry gun!

I live in Henderson and have a Nevada CCW permit. Moving from Florida (where I have a CCW permit), I was amazed at the "smoke and mirrors" of the "qualification process". As others stated, you only need to qualify with one revolver. However, each pistol must be qualified.

The "smoke and mirrors" I refer to is that there is no set of qualification requirements spelled out in the law. It's at the discretion of the person who is conducting your qualification.

I had to shoot single-handed from left and right, then dual-handed from both sides. I firmly expected to have to stand on one foot while whistling Dixie by the time we were finished.

The bad thing was that the instructor demanded that all ammo shot on his range must be purchased from him...his ammo is overpriced by at least 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowjiber View Post
    I live in Henderson and have a Nevada CCW permit. Moving from Florida (where I have a CCW permit), I was amazed at the "smoke and mirrors" of the "qualification process". As others stated, you only need to qualify with one revolver. However, each pistol must be qualified.

The "smoke and mirrors" I refer to is that there is no set of qualification requirements spelled out in the law. It's at the discretion of the person who is conducting your qualification.

I had to shoot single-handed from left and right, then dual-handed from both sides. I firmly expected to have to stand on one foot while whistling Dixie by the time we were finished.

The bad thing was that the instructor demanded that all ammo shot on his range must be purchased from him...his ammo is overpriced by at least 50%.
    Let me guess the Gun store or center mass?
    I qualified at american shooters on boulder in henderson. Had to shoot from 10 yds, 7 yds and 3 yds both handed. If you scored good enough from 10 and 7 you got to skip the 3, which I and most people did. A few had to shoot at 3 yds to make it. Only real rule was no lasers (someone who had never shot before brought a gun with a laser)

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Let me guess the Gun store or center mass?
    I qualified at american shooters on boulder in henderson. Had to shoot from 10 yds, 7 yds and 3 yds both handed. If you scored good enough from 10 and 7 you got to skip the 3, which I and most people did. A few had to shoot at 3 yds to make it. Only real rule was no lasers (someone who had never shot before brought a gun with a laser)
    Yes, it was Center Mass. I was just new in town and wanted to get the CCW process going. Lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowjiber View Post
    What a load of CRAP! I would never, ever, ever, do business with a gun store that made me use their ammo. That's some underhanded unethical business practices right there and an obvious sign to me that these people are crooks. Almost as bad a gouging hotel rooms during a hurricane.

Shame on you Center Mass!

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    I qualified at american shooters on boulder in henderson.
    I had heard that American Shooters on Boulder Hwy was the place to go. However, they closed their doors after completely remodeling their range. Very strange.

I drove by there last week and they're still closed. I don't know what's up.

The instruction at Center Mass was very good. I took the Nevada and Utah CCW permit courses. However, their range policies and prices certainly guarantee that I'll go elsewhere for all my shooting needs from now on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast