Considering getting a CCW permit, few quetions about FL

Thread: Considering getting a CCW permit, few quetions about FL

Question Considering getting a CCW permit, few quetions about FL

Great site you guys have here, much thanks for all the useful info!!

I live in Ohio and was told by all my shooting buddies to get a florida CCW as it encompasses more states than the Ohio one. I have also been told to look into a Utah one. I was also told since I had a misdemeanor drug conviction(over 15 years ago) that I cannot expunge(but I had gotten relief of disability) Ohio won't issue me a permit. According to the FBI (nics) I am legally able to buy a firearm (cause I have done it about 20 times over the last 3years ).

Anybody from Ohio or another state that has done this? If so what is the procedure? And is that BS about being disqualified for a Misdemeanor in Ohio?

Florida is easier to get. Click here for info. The first link is a quick pre-qualification test. FL is $117 for a 7 year license. Renewal is $107. You can have them mail you the complete application packet

UT is cheaper in the long run. However, UT requires a UT specific training class....that can be found in just about every state. UT is $65.25 + class for 5 yrs. Renewal, right now, is $10. UT Public Safety

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I am going with the Florida one.

Quote Originally Posted by mpohio View Post
    I was also told since I had a misdemeanor drug conviction(over 15 years ago) that I cannot expunge(but I had gotten relief of disability) Ohio won't issue me a permit.
    This is no longer true. A conviction that has been sealed or expunged, or for which the person has obtained relief from disabilities, does not constitute a disqualification under Ohio law from possessing a firearm or obtaining a concealed handgun license. See Ohio Rev. Code 2923.125(D)(5).

Unless you plan to move out of Ohio soon, I would encourage you to obtain an Ohio concealed handgun license, both for reciprocity in certain states (e.g., Michigan and South Carolina) that do not honor nonresident licenses and to do your part to increase the numbers of concealed handgun licenses in Ohio, which will increase gun owners' political clout. Since Ohio lacks reciprocity with many states, I suggest getting the Florida and Utah licenses in addition to Ohio's.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Attorney, The Law Offices of James M. Mullins, Jr., PLLC
    Founder and Past President, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.

All GREAT points by WVCDL...
    "I got you in a Stranglehold, baby. And then I crushed your face" -Ted Nugent

7. I live in Michigan and got a Florida CCW in less than 30 days....

Quote Originally Posted by sjsomega View Post
    I live in Michigan and got a Florida CCW in less than 30 days....
    How did you do it? Did you send off for the packet or did you use somebody locally?

9. Florida CCW

I sent for the package.. Went to local Sheriff's office in Michigan for finger prints. Then overnighted the package to FL... I know the site says 90 days.. I got mine in less than 30 including mail time.. I was very surprised..

Quote Originally Posted by WVCDL View Post
    This is no longer true. A conviction that has been sealed or expunged, or for which the person has obtained relief from disabilities, does not constitute a disqualification under Ohio law from possessing a firearm or obtaining a concealed handgun license. See Ohio Rev. Code 2923.125(D)(5).

Unless you plan to move out of Ohio soon, I would encourage you to obtain an Ohio concealed handgun license, both for reciprocity in certain states (e.g., Michigan and South Carolina) that do not honor nonresident licenses and to do your part to increase the numbers of concealed handgun licenses in Ohio, which will increase gun owners' political clout. Since Ohio lacks reciprocity with many states, I suggest getting the Florida and Utah licenses in addition to Ohio's.
    One thing to add to WVCDL's excellent points - make sure you mention the conviction on the application. I don't know about Ohio but in SC, even a charge that would not disqualify you from having a permit will give them cause to not issue it if you do not mention it on your record. My father had to mention a DUI from the 1960s when he got his permit in 2000. Obviously we don't know if leaving it off would have gotten his application rejected, but he mentioned it and got his permit.