MUST be concealed - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: MUST be concealed

I read somewhere, I forget where, that if concealed carry is all that is allowed, then it has to be that way all the time, even printing is not allowed. BUT I also read that there is the odd time where the wind may blow your shirt or jacket up, exposing the firearm. I believe that in that instance you did not break the law and it is called... I can't remember Doh! Man what a dummy. Anyone? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by davisway View Post
    I read somewhere, I forget where, that if concealed carry is all that is allowed, then it has to be that way all the time, even printing is not allowed. BUT I also read that there is the odd time where the wind may blow your shirt or jacket up, exposing the firearm. I believe that in that instance you did not break the law and it is called... I can't remember Doh! Man what a dummy. Anyone? Anyone?
    1. Absolutely no laws against printing in SC

2. "Premature Exposure"?

BTW, I believe you COULD be cited for inadvertent/accidental exposure in most states that don't allow open carry. However, after lots of reading it looks like most LEOs will let it go, but not always. So, in SC it is better to tuck your shirt in tight and not worry about printing than to let it hang loose and possibly expose the weapon.

Your state may vary. Always, check laws of your own state.

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    Lol ... actually my favorite 2 choices right now would be a Beretta PX4 in 40SW and a Bersa Thunder 380 so neither one was made where Bier and Bretzeln were invented ... ;-)
    yOU HAVE TO TRY THE hk usp COMPACT .40!

5. Concealed means concealed. Most state ccw laws forbid even printing your weapon. I don't tell anybody that I am carrying unless they have a need to know and check myself before leaving the house to make sure that I don't print. It's tactically sound also that the badguy doesn't know that you are carrying.

6. Quote Originally Posted by ArmyRanger View Post
    Concealed means concealed. Most state ccw laws forbid even printing your weapon. I don't tell anybody that I am carrying unless they have a need to know and check myself before leaving the house to make sure that I don't print. It's tactically sound also that the badguy doesn't know that you are carrying.
    Ummmm.... no.

In only 8 states is open carry completely illegal. In 42 states, open carry in some form is legal, which definitely includes printing. In addition, statistics have shown that felons prefer targets which are not known to be armed over those that they know are armed. Thus, your "element of surprise" does nothing to deter crime, which is what I would prefer to do.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Don't be so sure of that. I happen to know that in at least one shall-issue state (I believe it's New Mexico) where open carry is also legal, that the law does clearly make this distinction; if you're carrying concealed, there can be no printing or anything that detects the presence of a handgun. If it's openly carried, it must be in full view.
    I live in New Mexico, and that is the way I understand it also. But they do allow for accidental exposure.( wind, etc.)
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

8. Quote Originally Posted by Edsworld View Post
    I live in New Mexico, and that is the way I understand it also. But they do allow for accidental exposure.( wind, etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy
    Don't be so sure of that. I happen to know that in at least one shall-issue state (I believe it's New Mexico) where open carry is also legal, that the law does clearly make this distinction; if you're carrying concealed, there can be no printing or anything that detects the presence of a handgun. If it's openly carried, it must be in full view.
    Please post a statute that says that a permit holder in New Mexico must carry a handgun completely concealed or completely in full view. You won't find one. If you have a concealed weapons permit, in a state that also allows open carry such as New Mexico, you can carry that firearm however you want to except in your hand pointing it at someone. You can carry your firearm completely concealed, or completely open, or anywhere in between that you want to. I challenge you to post a statute that says a permit holder can't.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Your definition of anomalous open carry states is incorrect. For instance, Washington has very strong complete state preemption of firearms laws, there is no "gray area" and is very open carry friendly. The "anomaly" in Washington state is that it is illegal to possess a loaded handgun in a vehicle without a concealed pistol license license. Colorado also has complete state preemption with the exception of Denver. Thus, Colorado is open carry friendly, the only "anomaly" being Denver.
    And Oregon has complete pre-emption except that communities can restrict OC for anyone not having a CHL...Portland and a few other cities in the NW corner "People's State" have that restriction. For a CHL holder there are no restrictions on OC.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyRanger View Post
    Concealed means concealed. Most state ccw laws forbid even printing your weapon. I don't tell anybody that I am carrying unless they have a need to know and check myself before leaving the house to make sure that I don't print. It's tactically sound also that the badguy doesn't know that you are carrying.
    Very wrong...even "most" states that forbid OC do not have laws against inadvertant printing..a very few do, so check your state laws, but to say that "most do" (and especially "most state ccw laws") is just plain misinformation.

10. Concealed Carry

Well I can tell you that here, in Oregon, I believe that's exactly what it means.

CCW (Concealed Carry Weapon) permit is for specifically that: CONCEALED Carry.

It keeps the weapon out of site of possibly nervous citizens and bystanders and kids, etc.

Seem the authorities look at these as 2 seperate issues, with a lot of justification, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by guadman View Post

Well I can tell you that here, in Oregon, I believe that's exactly what it means.

CCW (Concealed Carry Weapon) permit is for specifically that: CONCEALED Carry.

It keeps the weapon out of site of possibly nervous citizens and bystanders and kids, etc.

Seem the authorities look at these as 2 seperate issues, with a lot of justification, IMHO.
    Maybe where you live, but not down here. And legally, not anywhere in the state.

Actually, up in Portland and the cities around it with OC restrictions, the only way one can carry OC is with a CC permit...since cities cannot restrict carry by a CC license holder...CC or OC.

I carry IWB, but on an occassional hot summer day in the park or at the golf course I am likely to shed the cover garment and sometimes even my t-shirt...and remain perfectly legal.

I am curious... in what part of Oregon do you live and what authorities have told you that a concealed weapon must be fully concealed at all times?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast