MUST be concealed
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MUST be concealed

MUST be concealed

A friend of mine claims that it is mandatory for a concealed weapon to stay concealed at all times. That is with the person carrying it having a CCW permit of course. I do live in North Carolina. While it seems logical than an openly carried weapon may not be concealed at any time the reverse seems a bit odd. Does anybody know more about this?

The answer lies in your state laws. In Indiana, our state law does NOT address concealed, or open carry, so with the license, a gun owner in Indiana may carry either way.

North Carolina Concealed Carry Permit Information scroll down almost to the bottom of the page.
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

I read over that but did not see that question answered there. In my logic however, if open carry is okay in NC would that not logically mean that someone carrying concealed should not be encountering any problems if at some point his vest moves and the gun is revealed etc? He is still lawfully carrying after all. I am considering eventually taking a CCW class but I am German - so I have to make sure I have all the t's crossed and the i's doted or I won't rest easy ... ;-)

I'm betting your logic is correct. To be on the safe side, I would call or email your Attorney General and see what response you get.
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    I read over that but did not see that question answered there. In my logic however, if open carry is okay in NC would that not logically mean that someone carrying concealed should not be encountering any problems if at some point his vest moves and the gun is revealed etc? He is still lawfully carrying after all. I am considering eventually taking a CCW class but I am German - so I have to make sure I have all the t's crossed and the i's doted or I won't rest easy ... ;-)
    Does that mean you only carry firearms made in deutschland?

Lol ... actually my favorite 2 choices right now would be a Beretta PX4 in 40SW and a Bersa Thunder 380 so neither one was made where Bier and Bretzeln were invented ... ;-)

A friend of mine claims that it is mandatory for a concealed weapon to stay concealed at all times. That is with the person carrying it having a CCW permit of course. I do live in North Carolina. While it seems logical than an openly carried weapon may not be concealed at any time the reverse seems a bit odd. Does anybody know more about this?
    Yes that's incorrect. NC is an open carry state, so long as not in a no firearms zone. I am an instructor and routinely shift between open and concealed carry based on the setting. Thanks & Stay Safely Armed!
    Crystal D Mann CAGA http://www.ccwofnc.com
    NC CCW, NRA Basic Pistol & Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor
    Certified Arsenal Appraisals & $20 NC FFL Transfer Services too!

If state law only allows for concealed carry, any form of printing or exposing the firearm would likely be illegal. Concealed means concealed.

If either concealed carry or open carry is allowed, then accidentally or unintentionally showing a portion of an otherwise concealed firearm is not a problem. When you are in a state where either form of carry is allowed, it is probably not "mandatory" to do one or the other as long as you are following state law.

Go to Handgunlaw.us to learn what states honor your states permit (or perhaps do not require a permit to carry at all), and what each state laws requires or allows you to do. For example, you may open carry without a permit in South Dakota, but a permit is required to carry concealed. Minnesota on the other hand, does not care how you carry your gun, but a permit to carry is required. Wisconsin has always allowed open carry without a permit, but has forbidden concealed carry since 1872.

You just have to follow the laws of the state in which you are standing. As always, some restrictions apply.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWOFNC View Post
    Yes that's incorrect. NC is an open carry state, so long as not in a no firearms zone. I am an instructor and routinely shift between open and concealed carry based on the setting. Thanks & Stay Safely Armed!
    Does NC require an individual to have a CC permit/license to OC (outside of GFZ like school zones)?

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Don't be so sure of that. I happen to know that in at least one shall-issue state (I believe it's New Mexico) where open carry is also legal, that the law does clearly make this distinction; if you're carrying concealed, there can be no printing or anything that detects the presence of a handgun. If it's openly carried, it must be in full view.

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast